I have searched the web for some Java open source project on Restaurant Management systems but didn't found any intersting resources. Our goal is to create an application that an hostess can use to intuitively optimize table utilization.
Here are some specifications:
The user interface is web-based as much as possible with Java for the table layout. The business case for the application is that it assists the hostess optimize the table usage by,
1. violating First-Come-First-Serve when appropriate (don't seat a party of two at a four-top table, wait for the next four-top to become available)
2. suggest rescheduling reservations and call-aheads to better times. For example, suggest that a reservation be delayed from 12:30 to 12:45 because the "forecast" indicates that a table will be free.
3. seat individuals in anticipation that tables will be joined to form combinations, e.g. two four-tops create one 8 top.
4. Page a waiting-party before a table becomes available so that the party is seated as soon as possible.
5. Assist management in monitoring the tables as they are worked from in-processing, serving and out-processing (check-out and cleaning). In short, keep those tables turning around. we need Ideas on how to approach this problem and would like to have some resources about this issue.
If some one has passed experience in this field or knows about any java open source project on the subject; please share.