• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

404 again!

 
pallavi utukuri
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
installed tomcat5.0
created form.html in D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello
<html>
<body>
<form action ="result.jsp">
Name: <input type="text" name="name">
<input type="submit">
</form>
result.jsp in D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello
<html>
<body>
<p>
${param.name}
</body>
</html>

http://localhost:8080/hello/form.html
is giving 404 error

y does this same error occurs everytime we create a new web application! plzzzzz some one help
 
pallavi utukuri
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
k some miracle happened and http://localhost:8080/hello/form.html
is working indeed.....
but now EL is not recognized its just displaying
${param.name}
 
pallavi utukuri
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
k some miracle happened and http://localhost:8080/hello/form.html
is working indeed.....
but now EL is not recognized its just displaying
${param.name}
 
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher
Posts: 13078
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is the "hello" directory supposed to be a web application? Does it have a WEB-INF subdirectory with a web.xml file?
Bill
 
pallavi utukuri
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
ys hello is a web application it has
WEB-INF/classes
WEB-INF/lib/jstl.jar and standard.jar
web.xml
 
pallavi utukuri
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
changed <web-app> in web.xml as follows:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
version="2.4">

its working now.....but when i tried the same thing for servlet, EL is retruning null.

created Testj.java in
D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello\WEB-INF\classes\Testj.class
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
public class Testj extends HttpServlet{
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)throws IOException,ServletException {
response.setContentType("text/html");
request.setAttribute("ename","baba");
RequestDispatcher view = request.getRequestDispatcher ("result.jsp");
view.forward(request,response);
}
}

result.jsp in D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello
<html>
<body>
name:${param.ename}
</body>
</html>

http://localhost:8080/hello/Testj

the output is
name:

i.e EL is return null whats wrong if its working from html y not from servlet
 
Richard Bradford
Ranch Hand
Posts: 48
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by pallavi utukuri:
changed <web-app> in web.xml as follows:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
version="2.4">

its working now.....but when i tried the same thing for servlet, EL is retruning null.

created Testj.java in
D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello\WEB-INF\classes\Testj.class
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
public class Testj extends HttpServlet{
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response)throws IOException,ServletException {
response.setContentType("text/html");
request.setAttribute("ename","baba");
RequestDispatcher view = request.getRequestDispatcher ("result.jsp");
view.forward(request,response);
}
}

result.jsp in D:\tomcat5.0\webapps\hello
<html>
<body>
name:${param.ename}
</body>
</html>

http://localhost:8080/hello/Testj

the output is
name:

i.e EL is return null whats wrong if its working from html y not from servlet


In the case of using a servlet you have set "ename" as a request attribute and is not a request paramter as in the html version. I suspect this is why ${param.ename} is givng null.
Try ${ename} instead.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!