Granny's Programming Pearls
"inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out"
JavaRanch.com/granny.jsp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Superiority/Inferiority complex

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2373
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think most of the people goes thru superiority/inferiority complex or both in their lives. I have experiencd then a lot and may be still going thru...
But there r people who faces them so ly! I wonder how some people control themselves from complexes! In some stages it seems that i m hopeless and in times i feel simply i m the best... . But i want to control my emotions and feelings from such complexes (i know i m never the best ). Another idea is not to control them, i don't know .... may be.
How do u guys feel the complexes and think abt them?

------------------
Muhammad Ashikuzzaman (Fahim)
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java� 2 Platform
--When you learn something, learn it by heart!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 400
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
golf probably one of the best therapy to control your emotions, you should try it
 
Leverager of our synergies
Posts: 10065
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To be able to control your emotions you should understand them. And once you understand - there is not much to control anymore
But there are no reasons to get stuck with inferiority/superiority complex. There are a lot of other attractive diagnoses. For example, these are symptoms of autism:
"...may be overactive or very passive; throws tantrums for no apparent reason; perseverates (shows an obsessive interest in a single item, idea, activity or person); apparent lack of common sense; may show aggression to others or self; often has difficulty with changes in routine..." http://www.autism-society.org/autism.html#symptoms
Do not you recognize yourself?
[This message has been edited by Mapraputa Is (edited October 29, 2001).]
 
Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2373
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Interesting link Map... ....lemme c it!
------------------
Muhammad Ashikuzzaman (Fahim)
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java� 2 Platform
--When you learn something, learn it by heart!
 
Mapraputa Is
Leverager of our synergies
Posts: 10065
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Speaking seriously, superiority/inferiority complex you are talking about is an avatar of what Karen Horney called "False Self" - a device developed usually in early years of life as a protection against traumatic communications a child cannot deal with in a better way. This false personality is our idealized self image (maps to "superiority complex") unrealistic and vulnerable for this reason. When ugly reality bumps into it - ouch, it hurts. You may want to read
"Our Inner Conflicts : A Constructive Theory of Neurosis" and "The Neurotic Personality of Our Time"
Should we control our emotions? Absolutely. We should, we need, we have to. To have educated emotions is important. There is even an opinion that "emotional intelligence" contributes to eventual success in life more than "normal intelligence" (loosely represented by IQ) - maybe too extreme opinion. Anyway, what's undoubtedly that the effect emotions play in our lives is largely underestimated. People are emotional creatures, emotions affect every our activity, and unfortunately affect it stronger than we realize. Even thinking. It was proved, for example, that being under influence of strong emotions we tend to see things in oversimplified black-and-white mode, ignoring subtleties and complexities....
After all, if we do not control our emotions, they control us. Who wants to be a victim?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 452
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That reminds me of a joke:
Doctor, to patient: No, you don't have an inferiority complex, you are inferior.
 
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Stevie Kaligis:
golf probably one of the best therapy to control your emotions, you should try it


I don't believe in golf
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Nanhesru Ningyake:
That reminds me of a joke:
Doctor, to patient: No, you don't have an inferiority complex, you are inferior.


That reminds me of a saying:
It's people like you that give me a superiority complex (also )
 
Stevie Kaligis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 400
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by David O'Meara:
I don't believe in golf


Whose Golf you didn't believe ?
Islamic, Christian, Buddhism, or Hinduism ?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 18944
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maybe it would help you to simply know, you are not inferior. Anyone who tries to make you feel that way feels that way him/herself, and tries to hurt others to give their little ego a boost. Were you brought up in a competitive environment? If so, some individuals are taught to feel from childhood he or she is not as good as person A and B. Break out of the mold, everyone is good at something, and no matter what you are feeling you aren't inferior to anyone.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You are reading words from one who was the best at having an inferiority complex. Began really early in life. Compounded year upon year. I have a real stubborn spirit which made me be a fighter even when I did not feel like fighting (not literal, just dug my heals in and would not give up). More times than not, I wanted to just fall through the cracks in the floor and melt away. I came across as one totally sure of herself. Few people knew my true feelings I had about my self. I think most of us are that way and it has helped me as friends have shared their same feelings. My emotions controlled all my decisions. If I felt good about something I did it, if I was angry, I reacted, If I was happy, it was great, if I was sad, I was lonely and disgusted with life.
I asked Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sins and come into my life. A simple act. An act of faith. He did come into my life. Struggles still come, emotions are still a very real part of me but "knowing I am accepted in the Beloved" (Ephesians 1:6b)allows me to feel that I have worth. We are encouraged to "be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning cratiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive: but speaking truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: (Ephesians 4: 14-continue reading; I did not type it on out) Philippians 3:13 says for us to "forget those things which are behind and reaching forth into those things which are before, press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Please look up and read, I did not type word for word.) People love to remind us of our failures in life, it makes them feel somehow safe and better as one of the other ranch hands stated earlier. If we practice forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward in life, it does make it easier to be positive and feel more worth.
Thinking about our past failures tend to bring back all the feelings and emotions we had at that moment. I have heard it said that "Whatever is first place in your life, you will perpetuate it." Try not to allow feelings of inferiority or superiority to be first place in your life. I encourage you to allow God, through Jesus to be first place in your life.
I am not trying to preach, just share a tid bit of my journey. Being a very emotional person, it has been difficult to allow God to help me make choices and decisions based on what is right and good, not on how I feel. That was a tuffy.
We also get caught in a trap. If our emotions range from a one to a ten and because of whatever type of anxiety or fear or feelings of inadequacy hits us, our emotions go from one straight to a ten. If several things happen in a row, our emotions begin to float from a ten and make it down to a seven then we get hit with something emotional again, we go straight to ten. When this happens, we get stuck between 7 and 10 and our emotions never get back down to a range of 1 or 2 or 3, etc. Man, this is when heavy stress hits and we feel overwhelmed. I have been there, I know where of I speak.
I am thankful for this forum. I am thankful we have the freedom to express ourselves and the freedom each of us have to choose to read or ignore each entry. I have written this to encourage you. Believe me, I have plenty of people still encouraging me and I do need it. We all need encouragement to be our best.

[This message has been edited by Jan Bolinger (edited November 02, 2001).]
 
Anonymous
Ranch Hand
Posts: 18944
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jan Bolinger:
You are reading words from one who was the best at having an inferiority complex. Began really early in life. Compounded year upon year. I have a real stubborn spirit which made me be a fighter even when I did not feel like fighting (not literal, just dug my heals in and would not give up). More times than not, I wanted to just fall through the cracks in the floor and melt away. I came across as one totally sure of herself. Few people knew my true feelings I had about my self. I think most of us are that way and it has helped me as friends have shared their same feelings. My emotions controlled all my decisions. If I felt good about something I did it, if I was angry, I reacted, If I was happy, it was great, if I was sad, I was lonely and disgusted with life.
I asked Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sins and come into my life. A simple act. An act of faith. He did come into my life. Struggles still come, emotions are still a very real part of me but "knowing I am accepted in the Beloved" (Ephesians 1:6b)allows me to feel that I have worth. We are encouraged to "be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning cratiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive: but speaking truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: (Ephesians 4: 14-continue reading; I did not type it on out) Philippians 3:13 says for us to "forget those things which are behind and reaching forth into those things which are before, press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Please look up and read, I did not type word for word.) People love to remind us of our failures in life, it makes them feel somehow safe and better as one of the other ranch hands stated earlier. If we practice forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward in life, it does make it easier to be positive and feel more worth.
Thinking about our past failures tend to bring back all the feelings and emotions we had at that moment. I have heard it said that "Whatever is first place in your life, you will perpetuate it." Try not to allow feelings of inferiority or superiority to be first place in your life. I encourage you to allow God, through Jesus to be first place in your life.
I am not trying to preach, just share a tid bit of my journey. Being a very emotional person, it has been difficult to allow God to help me make choices and decisions based on what is right and good, not on how I feel. That was a tuffy.
We also get caught in a trap. If our emotions range from a one to a ten and because of whatever type of anxiety or fear or feelings of inadequacy hits us, our emotions go from one straight to a ten. If several things happen in a row, our emotions begin to float from a ten and make it down to a seven then we get hit with something emotional again, we go straight to ten. When this happens, we get stuck between 7 and 10 and our emotions never get back down to a range of 1 or 2 or 3, etc. Man, this is when heavy stress hits and we feel overwhelmed. I have been there, I know where of I speak.
I am thankful for this forum. I am thankful we have the freedom to express ourselves and the freedom each of us have to choose to read or ignore each entry. I have written this to encourage you. Believe me, I have plenty of people still encouraging me and I do need it. We all need encouragement to be our best.

[This message has been edited by Jan Bolinger (edited November 02, 2001).]

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 243
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

what Karen Horney called "False Self"


If she hasn't had the sense to change her name, I'm not sure I should be taking advice from her.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2166
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Controlling your emotions is very important, I think now, and its daily work.
Long time I was not used to the idea and often there are moments when I feel that it should be improved.
Recently, I am thinking a lot about it.
Its one of the few things of getting older, to really know about your emotions.
Not trying to control emotions I see now as romantic crap.
Controlling emotions does not mean that I am not emotionally involved.
It sounds cool when you read about people who get along without controlling their emotions, but really very few people get along with it.
And I now strongly believe that its productive for working in a team. When my sister (who was allways much better than me in auto-controlling herself) got merged upwards from Chrysler Import Germany to DaimlerChrysler she first thought that all people in office are taking some kind of drugs, because everything was sooo peaceful.
Now she and me too thinks that its good environment to be productive. Those companies know.
Sometimes its fun to not control yourself and one needs too.
Going to buy one of Maps psycho books.
 
Anonymous
Ranch Hand
Posts: 18944
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Meditate Dude!!
Here is the link for beginners...Who is Controlling Mind !!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 194
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Golf may not be right for some people but find some sport or hobby that you can indulge in after work, it will help. Excercise helps a great deal too.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 80
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Go skating! Go snow skiing! Especially snow skiing.
When I take a day to go to the slopes my mind completely escapes from everything else. It's me on the mountain, concentrating only on the wind, the snow, and where I am going.
After a day of that I can go back to work and relationships and feel like I've a month off!
Too bad - I've got a sprained wrist right now and am missing some great skiing conditions!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1479
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The simplest solutions are the best :
http://dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20030206.html
 
Been there. Done that. Went back for more. But this time, I took this tiny ad with me:
Sauce Labs - World's Largest Continuous Testing Cloud for Websites and Mobile Apps
https://coderanch.com/t/722574/Sauce-Labs-World-Largest-Continuous
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!