(I hope you can help and that i have posted this in the best place)
When i restart tomcat my web application generates the following errors
I cannot find any more debug information in any of the logs so am at a loss as to where to look next. I have checked the xml files and they all seem fine and have worked previously. We are using log4j to manage our logs
1 - is there a way to get more information about these errors?
2 - i dont have a catalina.log file anywhere, can someone tell we how to configure this? will this log file contain any useful info?
3 - is log4j restricting the amount of logs i can see? can i turn it off somehow to enable me to see absolutely everything in a stdout?
Sorry for so many questions but i have been looking into this for hours now and my patience is long gone,
1 - my catalina_home variable is set to "C:\apache-tomcat", all of my logs live in C:\apache-tomcat\logs
2 - Tomcat version is 5
3 - apache.log - i think this comes back to my ignorance about logs and how they are configured, i have no idea why that file has that name. We arent doing anything clever using Apache - we use IIS as our webserver
4 - yep, i think it is the filters, but my problem is that i have no log that gives further detail about the reason the filter failed to load correctly. Can i change log4j/web.xml somehow to get more detail about these errors?
If you don't have a catalina.out log, then someone has set things up differently than the norm and so I'm not sure what to tell you.
Things I'd check are to make sure that the filter class files are where the web.xml says that they will be and other such set up conditions.
Exception messages should be emitted to stdout regardless of any log4j settings so there's not much you can do there except to confer with your admin to find out why you're not getting the stdout logged someplace where you can find it.
Check if your project WEB-INF directory has contect.xml file or not. If it has, make sure that it has the correct name of project with /. Eg. your project name is TestPortlet, then it should be /TestPortlet