• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Actors and shared roles

 
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

Greg Charles wrote:After making a quick scan, I think these are the ones that remain unanswered:

Laurence Olivier, Mel Gibson



Hamlet, answered above.



Ah, right you are. I meant:
Marlon Brando, Mel Gibson (and could throw in Clark Gable)


Fletcher Christian, I believe.

Greg Charles wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

Greg Charles wrote:Linda Hamilton, Lena Headey


Sarah Connor, The Terminator etc



Who's Lena Headey? It seems to me there was a TV series, right? Was she on that?'


Yup. She's also now Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones.

Greg Charles wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

Greg Charles wrote:Edward Norton, Eric Bana



This left off Bill Bixby, Lou Ferrigno, and (now) Mark Ruffalo.



Answer: Bruce Banner. Bill Bixby is sort of iffy, since he played David Banner, though really the same character. Actors that played the Hulk get really iffy. I'd consider that a different role, but I could see it being argued either way.


Eh, the name change is a minor thing amongst all the other changes, I think. Which may support your contention that they're different roles. But I view them as different adaptations of the same character. Which is what we have in several of the other examples cited, I believe. Slippery slope I guess. To-MAY-toe, to-MAH-toe, YMMV and all that.
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh, I see - you were saying Hulk and Banner are different characters. True, mostly. (Depending again on interpretation.) But as Norton, Bana, and Ruffalo play both roles (with CGI) I though it appropriate to include both Bixby and Ferrigno.
 
Marshal
Posts: 24948
61
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:Wait, really? Who would need to look at Wikipedia for that? What kind of geeks are you?



Where else should I look for that? Surely you weren't suggesting I should spend hours watching movies? It's much simpler to just look things up on the web when I need to know them.
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, just the good stuff. You can skip the third and fourth movies.
 
Sheriff
Posts: 3034
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:But as Norton, Bana, and Ruffalo play both roles (with CGI) I though it appropriate to include both Bixby and Ferrigno.



Ah, do they? That makes it even more of a gray area. I saw the Bana hulk, but I honestly can't remember how much playing of the Hulk role there was. Did he even speak, or just scream, "Smash!" every so often?

Anyway, Fletcher Christian was right, so I think we're all wrapped up except for Amitab, Rajini, Sharukh, Ajith, which non-Indians are probably not going to be able to guess. Is it Rama? Is it Shiva? If not, then I'm tapped out.


Oh, heck, how about some more examples:

Florence Henderson, Shelley Long
Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff
Jackie Chan, Jet Li (may be multiple answers, but I only know one, both starring roles in multiple films)

 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:But as Norton, Bana, and Ruffalo play both roles (with CGI) I though it appropriate to include both Bixby and Ferrigno.



Ah, do they? That makes it even more of a gray area. I saw the Bana hulk, but I honestly can't remember how much playing of the Hulk role there was. Did he even speak, or just scream, "Smash!" every so often?


I don't really remember now. Probably minimal dialog.

OK, now I've gone to Wikipedia, and found that in the Norton movie, Hulk's lines consisted of "Betty!", "Leave me alone!" and "Hulk smash!". All voiced by...

wait for it...

Lou Ferrigno.

(!)

Greg Charles wrote:Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff


Well, now your objection to changing the name of a character seems kind of trivial.
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh, and Florence Henderson & Shelly Long were Carol Brady. Back to my no-Wikipedia mode.
 
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:Ah, right you are. I meant:
Marlon Brando, Mel Gibson (and could throw in Clark Gable)


I know they are in versions of the Mutiny on the Bounty story, so if it wasn't Captain Bligh (as someone guessed earlier) then it must be Fletcher Christian.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't notice the topic had gone onto a second page. I thought I was quoting from the last post.
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff


Don't know that one but it made me think of
George Peppard, Liam Neeson
 
author
Posts: 23853
141
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

* Andy Whitfield and Liam McIntyre, but to give an additional hint, I'll also mention Kirk Douglas



 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 3034
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:

Greg Charles wrote:Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff


Well, now your objection to changing the name of a character seems kind of trivial.



Hey, you're the one who let the genie out of the bottle!


Joanne Neal wrote:
Don't know that one but it made me think of
George Peppard, Liam Neeson



It does? I'm not seeing the connection, but ...

Hannibal Smith, from "The A Team"
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:
* Andy Whitfield and Liam McIntyre, but to give an additional hint, I'll also mention Kirk Douglas


No Goran Visnjic?

Yeah, I guess we can skip that one. Carry on.
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:

Greg Charles wrote:Dirk Benedict, Katee Sackhoff


Well, now your objection to changing the name of a character seems kind of trivial.



Hey, you're the one who let the genie out of the bottle!


And I'm fine with that. But you're the one who objected.

Greg Charles wrote:

Joanne Neal wrote:
Don't know that one but it made me think of
George Peppard, Liam Neeson



It does? I'm not seeing the connection, but ...

Hannibal Smith, from "The A Team"


The connection was Dirk Benedict, who was in the original TV versions of both Battlestar Galactica and The A-Team.

On one of the DVDs from the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica, they had an interview with Dirk Benedict and Katee Sackhoff. Where did they meet?

At Starbuck's.
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 3034
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:
The connection was Dirk Benedict, who was in the original TV versions of both Battlestar Galactica and The A-Team.



Oh, yeah. Where's that face plant emoticon? Here I'll use the brick wall instead:

Mike Simmons wrote:
On one of the DVDs from the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica, they had an interview with Dirk Benedict and Katee Sackhoff. Where did they meet?

At Starbuck's.



Nice. Starbuck was also the first mate of the Pequod in Moby Dick, but I'll magnanimously grant that's a different character and so I left out Ethan Hawke. Supposedly, even that Starbuck is not the namesake for Starbucks, although the founders were fans of Moby Dick and they originally intended to call it Pequods.
 
Henry Wong
author
Posts: 23853
141
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:

Henry Wong wrote:
* Andy Whitfield and Liam McIntyre, but to give an additional hint, I'll also mention Kirk Douglas


No Goran Visnjic?

Yeah, I guess we can skip that one. Carry on.




Okay, here's a harder one....

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kristy Swanson

Henry
 
lowercase baba
Posts: 12792
51
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:
Okay, here's a harder one....

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kristy Swanson


??? hard? really? I had that one figured out at "Sarah".

How about Boris Karloff and Peter Boyle?
 
Henry Wong
author
Posts: 23853
141
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

fred rosenberger wrote:
??? hard? really? I had that one figured out at "Sarah".



Then I am assuming that Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy is not hard either??? ....

Henry
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11185
244
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

W. Joe Smith wrote:William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Richard Hurndall, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith..



Doctor Who?

This one might be a little bit obscure: Clint Eastwood & Toshiro Mifune.
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 3034
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:
Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kristy Swanson



Buffy (the Vampire Slayer)

fred rosenberger wrote:
How about Boris Karloff and Peter Boyle?



Frankenstein's monster (That's Frahnk-en-steen!!!)

Stephan van Hulst wrote:
This one might be a little bit obscure: Clint Eastwood & Toshiro Mifune.



The guy from Yojimbo? I can't remember the character name, or the Eastwood movie name ... is it Fistful of Dollars? You could add Bruce Willis from, Dead Man ... Something ... Standing, Walking, Eating Cheerios?
 
Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11185
244
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Charles wrote:The guy from Yojimbo? I can't remember the character name, or the Eastwood movie name ... is it Fistful of Dollars?



Good job! I don't remember the name from the Yojimbo movie, but I'm pretty sure Clint Eastwood's character was "The man with no name".
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:

fred rosenberger wrote:
??? hard? really? I had that one figured out at "Sarah".



Then I am assuming that Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy is not hard either??? ....

Henry


Not Xtremely hard, no.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
mike myers- Dr. Evil

or Dr Evil - MINI HIS
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A few more...

Ray Liotta - D. B. Sweeney
Burgess Meredith - Danny DeVito
Kevin Costner - Cary Elwes
Steve Martin - Marlon Brando
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Posts: 12792
51
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bob Reardon wrote:A few more...

Ray Liotta - D. B. Sweeney
Burgess Meredith - Danny DeVito
Kevin Costner - Cary Elwes
Steve Martin - Marlon Brando



I know 1 and 2...
Shoe-less Joe from Hannibal, Mo
The penguin
 
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bob Reardon wrote:Burgess Meredith - Danny DeVito


The Penguin?

A few more:

Peter Cushing / Hugh Jackman
Michael Caine / Sylvester Stallone
Alanis Morissette / Morgan Freeman
 
Bob Reardon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Brown wrote:

Bob Reardon wrote:Burgess Meredith - Danny DeVito


The Penguin?

A few more:

Peter Cushing / Hugh Jackman
Michael Caine / Sylvester Stallone
Alanis Morissette / Morgan Freeman



Matthew and Fred are correct

Alanis and Morgan both played God. Morgan in Bruce Almighty and Alanis in a Jay and Silent Bob movie whose name escapes me...
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bob Reardon wrote:Alanis in a Jay and Silent Bob movie whose name escapes me...


Actually a Ben Afleck/Matt Damon movie (although Jay and Silent Bob were in it) - Dogma
 
Bob Reardon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Joanne Neal wrote:

Bob Reardon wrote:Alanis in a Jay and Silent Bob movie whose name escapes me...


Actually a Ben Afleck/Matt Damon movie (although Jay and Silent Bob were in it) - Dogma



I stand corrected.
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bob Reardon wrote:A few more...

Kevin Costner - Cary Elwes



Robin Hood
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Brown wrote:Peter Cushing / Hugh Jackman


Van Helsing
 
Bob Reardon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:

Bob Reardon wrote:A few more...

Kevin Costner - Cary Elwes



Robin Hood



Correct! Prince of Thieves - Men in Tights.
 
whippersnapper
Posts: 1843
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bill Pullman / Balthazar Getty
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Brown wrote:Michael Caine / Sylvester Stallone


Carter. Jack Carter, according to Wikipedia (after remembering the title on my own). I never saw those films, though. Any good?

Some more:

Jennifer Lopez / Carla Gugino
Judi Dench / Cate Blanchett
John Huston / Ian McKellen
Brian Cox / Anthony Hopkins

On one of these I bent the rules - it's not quite what we usually mean by "acting".
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Posts: 1843
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Judi Dench / Bernadette Peters
Penelope Cruz / Penelope Cruz
 
Matthew Brown
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Simmons wrote:Carter. Jack Carter, according to Wikipedia (after remembering the title on my own). I never saw those films, though. Any good?


The original is. The less said about the remake the better.
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Posts: 12792
51
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
can I stretch the rules?

Angela Landsbury, Patti Lupone, and Helena Bonham Carter
 
Mike Simmons
Rancher
Posts: 3418
34
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
From one rule-stretcher to another: sure.

I recognized the source, but couldn't remember the character name.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 710
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Stephan van Hulst wrote:

W. Joe Smith wrote:William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Richard Hurndall, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith..



Doctor Who?



Doctor Who is the show, the character was the Doctor, but I'll give it to you .
 
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 710
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

fred rosenberger wrote:can I stretch the rules?

Angela Landsbury, Patti Lupone, and Helena Bonham Carter



Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd.

Another rule stretch: Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Watson.
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 3034
12
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

W. Joe Smith wrote:

fred rosenberger wrote:can I stretch the rules?

Angela Landsbury, Patti Lupone, and Helena Bonham Carter



Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd.



Not only could I not get this one, I can't even figure out how it is a rule stretch. (Especially since I never laid out any rules!)
 
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Edison. Tiny ad:
Sauce Labs - World's Largest Continuous Testing Cloud for Websites and Mobile Apps
https://coderanch.com/t/722574/Sauce-Labs-World-Largest-Continuous
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!