Win a copy of Machine Learning for Business: Using Amazon SageMaker and JupyterE this week in the Jython/Python forum
or Object Design Style Guide in the Object-Oriented programming forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Reviews of REVENGE OF THE SITH

 
mister krabs
Posts: 13974
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The NY Daily News: 2 and a half stars

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/story/309862p-265142c.html
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is coming on a week day.

Please throw me some tips on how I can be at work and see this movie(and showup at home during quality family hours).

geeejh...
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
It is coming on a week day.

Please throw me some tips on how I can be at work and see this movie(and showup at home during quality family hours).

geeejh...



I couldn't obtain midnight tickets at my local theatre. They were all gone. Nevertheless, the theatre added showings at 2:00am, 3:00am, 4:00am, and 5:00am.

In response to your question, you can catch a 4:00am or 5:00am showing and still arrive at work by 8:30 - 9am.

Regards,
 
author
Posts: 799
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
Please throw me some tips on how I can be at work and see this movie(and showup at home during quality family hours).



The geeks that work for me organized a Star Wars outing on their own. Who was I to stop them?

-j-
 
Wanderer
Posts: 18671
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've been trying to keep my expectations low, to match Episodes I and II. So I was planning to wait a few days after the premiere, just to try to avoid the hype and crowds. However a local music store had a drawing, and it seems I've won two free tickets to the midnight premiere. (I was just there to buy the SW III soundtrack, which I wholeheartedly recommend.) So what the heck, I guess I'll be going to see the first showing of the movie. However I'll be doing my best to think negative thoughts. If they prove unfounded, I'll let you know.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I agree with you Jim. I am planning to stay off the movie for a few days, let all the hype die down, kill anyone who tries to tell me anything at all bout the movie and then go watch it.

I cant believe this is the end!!! how can there be no more Star Wars movies???

Will George Lucas pls pls come up with Episode 7 or Episode 0???
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is the review from aint it cool news. I didn't read it completely. I read in the beginning of the review that there are some spoilers in it.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just caught up with 'Dallas Morning News' review of the Syth. They gave a A- for the movie, that usually means the movie is almost great.

Here is the link to the review.
 
town drunk
( and author)
Posts: 4118
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It actually was pretty great. One of my students is a movie reviewer, and I was on his guest list. Holy crap, The Emperor is the new Kiaser Sozay.

M
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Got feedback from a colleague. He says it is great from the onset. The way feedbacks are coming, it has chance to become alltime biggest grosser sofar.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is the box office estimates for first weekend for the 'SYTH':

Tapping into all audience segments this weekend, Revenge of the Sith will take on the record books and slash some milestones that dare stand in its way. Thursday's opening day gross will include all figures beginning at 12:01am and could reach about $40M. The Friday-to-Sunday span may surge to a monstrous $107M giving the final Star Wars pic a record four-day opening of $147M. Attacking 100 international markets as well this weekend, Episode III will dominate cinemas around the planet in hopes of becoming only the third billion-dollar-grossing movie ever.

My personal opinion, with the reviews and feedback from fans I am seeing; It will surpass 'Titanic' in the worldwide revenues. Lucas did a right thing by making the movie a little more violent(personally I feel Sci-fi needs to have that extra punch)
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
Here is the box office estimates for first weekend for the 'SYTH':

Tapping into all audience segments this weekend, Revenge of the Sith will take on the record books and slash some milestones that dare stand in its way. Thursday's opening day gross will include all figures beginning at 12:01am and could reach about $40M. The Friday-to-Sunday span may surge to a monstrous $107M giving the final Star Wars pic a record four-day opening of $147M. Attacking 100 international markets as well this weekend, Episode III will dominate cinemas around the planet in hopes of becoming only the third billion-dollar-grossing movie ever.

My personal opinion, with the reviews and feedback from fans I am seeing; It will surpass 'Titanic' in the worldwide revenues. Lucas did a right thing by making the movie a little more violent(personally I feel Sci-fi needs to have that extra punch)




ROTS will not surpass Titanic's domestic revenues. It will have a huge opening weekend; however, it might domestically reach $450 million at the most.

As far as for the rest of the world, I don't know.
[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: Jesse Torres ]
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jesse Torres:



ROTS will not surpass Titanic's domestic revenues. It will have a huge opening weekend; however, it might domestically reach $450 million at the most.

As far as for the rest of the world, I don't know.

[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: Jesse Torres ]



Don't under-estimate the Syth's potential. Also, the audience are craving for good entertainment this year so far(since Hollywood was dolling out tame stuff so far this year).

This link says that it grossed about 50 million $ on the first day in the USA, which is a record for first day.

Why don't we bet on it
[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: Kishore Dandu ]
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:


Don't under-estimate the Syth's potential. Also, the audience are craving for good entertainment this year so far(since Hollywood was dolling out tame stuff so far this year).

This link says that it grossed about 50 million $ on the first day in the USA, which is a record for first day.

Why don't we bet on it

[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: Kishore Dandu ]



Sorry but I don�t bet.

$50 million is a lot of money for a single day opening. Even though the movie is receiving more positive critic reviews than negative ones, most of my acquaintances hated the movie. I, personally, enjoyed the movie. In fact, I am looking forward to watching it again this weekend. But, returning to our discussion, I honestly don�t believe that this movie can surpass $600 domestically. I am basing my belief on various aspects. For instance, many of my friends hated the movie. So that means that they are telling everyone they know to wait for the DVD.

In theory, ROTS should easily surpass Titanic. When Titanic was released in 1997, ticket prices for a night show were approximately $6.50 and matinee tickets were $4.50. Almost 8 years later, night shows are approximately $9.50 (depending on where you live). Matinee tickets are roughly speaking $6.50 - $7.50 Also, how much were tickets when Episode IV was originally released in 1977?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 195
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All, I have seen this movie just now...and I guess its okay.

I'm not a fan of the 'Star Wars' and I haven't really watched any of the episodes. This is my 1st movie on star wars. Just wanted to see, whats' it all about...and finally I would end up saying, its only a kids movie..all about... the feeling of just let it go...

The eastern philosophy is retold..."death can't be conquered, just let go off the feelings etc.," I felt, overall its a kids movie, too noisy, with lots of graphics/fights etc.,
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm surprised that there aren't that many current Star Wars threads in Java Ranch. Maybe most Java Ranchers are Star Trek fans?

Who knows?
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Sri Addanki:
Hi All, I have seen this movie just now...and I guess its okay.

I'm not a fan of the 'Star Wars' and I haven't really watched any of the episodes. This is my 1st movie on star wars. Just wanted to see, whats' it all about...and finally I would end up saying, its only a kids movie..all about... the feeling of just let it go...

The eastern philosophy is retold..."death can't be conquered, just let go off the feelings etc.," I felt, overall its a kids movie, too noisy, with lots of graphics/fights etc.,



That is your perspective. The other thinking is sci-fi brings the creating and formative thinking in a man; that indirectly pushes the ideal as kids like.
 
High Plains Drifter
Posts: 7289
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Science fiction in general might offer that, but I don't think SW III is much in the way of science fiction. Space-action yes; science-focussed storytelling, not so much.
[ May 22, 2005: Message edited by: Michael Ernest ]
 
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Posts: 18671
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
[Jesse]: Maybe most Java Ranchers are Star Trek fans?

Many of us have been in the past. But real ranchers have moved on to Babylon 5, Farscape, Firefly, and the new Battlestar Galactica.

[Sri]: This is my 1st movie on star wars. Just wanted to see, whats' it all about...

I think I can say with some confidence that you are not the target audience for this film. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking for myself, I was pretty pleased with Episode III. The dialog had some rough parts, (like all the previous films, really). Ye gods, what a waste of James Earl Jones's voice! His final line was so bad people in the theater were laughing, which was really, really not the intended effect. Lines between Padme and Anakin were again rather unconvincing. Most of the rest of it came off pretty well. There weren't all that many surprises really, but the final payoff for thirty-year-old story seeds was in general well-delivered IMO.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1066
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I was wondering just how much money was spent on ROTS. :roll:

Watched the film Yesterday. Found it to be good. No bad comments as it is the last film.
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Vishwa Kumba:
I was wondering just how much money was spent on ROTS. :roll:

Watched the film Yesterday. Found it to be good. No bad comments as it is the last film.



$115 U.S Million to make film.
$90 U.S Million to market film.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

That is your perspective. The other thinking is sci-fi brings the creating and formative thinking in a man; that indirectly pushes the ideal as kids like.



Just got me thinking...."Creative" maybe (then again, there could be a whole different thread on how creativity can be defined - not just spending mega bucks to glorify an inherently lame concept - not referring to ROTS in particular), but isn't "formative" supposed to have been attained before the stage of "man" is reached??!!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 376
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:

I think I can say with some confidence that you are not the target audience for this film. Not that there's anything wrong with that.



Let's take someone who has no exposure whatsoever with the Star Wars series: What would be the best way to introduce/show the movies? The order in which they were released or the "actual" order?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2166
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by kayal cox:

The order in which they were released or the "actual" order?


It must be strange to view them in the actual order.
Spaceships in episode 3 look much better than those in episode 4. As if a negative technological development has happened in their galaxy.
 
Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Posts: 7289
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I showed them to my kids in the order they were produced. They had no trouble going into the "back story" after the fact. I for one don't see much in episodes 4-6 that required explanation. To see how we got that point in time, all the more interesting when we already what happened.
 
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Posts: 18671
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
[Axel]: As if a negative technological development has happened in their galaxy.

I believe that's partly intentional - Lucas has said he wanted the old Republic to look nicer than the Imperial era stuff. Padme's shiny space yacht being a prime example - no one in Episodes IV-VI would have such an extravagance. And the Jedi in Eps. I-III are generally more powerful than in IV-VI. So that accounts for a lot of the visual differences. Though it's still true that if IV-VI were produced today, they'd have more elaborate special effects.

Kayal - I'd recommend the original order, meaning:

1. Episode IV: A New Hope (the original "Star Wars")
2. Epidode V: The Empire Strikes Back
3. Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi
4. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
5. Episode II: Attack fo teh Clones
6. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

You could also do I, II, II fdollowed by IV, V, VI - but the down side is that most people find I the weakest of the series; if you don't like it, that doesn't mean you won't findsomething you like later. But if you start with IV and V, and you don't like them - well you probably shouldn't bother with any others; it's unlikely you'll enjoy them any better. (Warren Dew being the only known exception to this rule.)
 
kayal cox
Ranch Hand
Posts: 376
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Great! thanks...

And Jim, this is not me I was referring to..
But some of my younger cousins not in the States....
 
Arch enemy? I mean, I don't like you, but I don't think you qualify as "arch enemy". Here, try this tiny ad:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!