• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

SCJD is equivalent to ...?

 
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have always wanted to know what a SCJD is equivalent to in difficulty. Though it can be difficult to make a comparison to such things as University degrees such a Bachelors, Masters, or University diploma in IT, as they can take a few years to complete.
[ November 09, 2008: Message edited by: Gerald Davis ]
 
Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
Posts: 516
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gerald Davis:
I have always wanted to know what a SCJD is equivalent to in difficulty. Though it can be difficult to make a comparison to such things as University degrees such a Bachelors, Masters, or University diploma in IT, as they can take a few years to complete.

[ November 09, 2008: Message edited by: Gerald Davis ]


Hi,

This is a 100-200 hours assignment where no one else is pushing you to finish it. You are on your own motivation wise. At school or at work, people around are pushing you to complete your tasks.

That's the hard part, staying focused until the end! For me, the best way to complete it was to spend a lot of time on it over a shorter period of time (about 150 hours over 2 months).

So If I was to compare this assignment it would be :
- a school assignment where the teacher specifically says it is optional and will not be worth any points. You have to want it for yourself

The technical aspect should not be an issue, you have the programmer certification behind you and this forum!

bye,
Alex
 
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The thing I need to prove my programming competence to make a point. However, the only real hard proof is my SCJD. Most non-IT people will not know what that is ,or might not consider it that difficult a European Computer Drivers Licence ECDL, which I just completed a few months back. In comparison to the SCJD, ECDL is like a Micky Mouse Certificate.
 
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Would I be inaccurate if I was to say a typical Bachelors Degree Undergraduate/ graduate would have major difficulties facing SCJD. I am sure it would be difficult also for Mr Joe Likely with mild learning difficulties.
[ November 09, 2008: Message edited by: Gerald Davis ]
 
Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
Posts: 516
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gerald Davis:
Would I be inaccurate if I was to say a typical Bachelors Degree Undergraduate/ graduate would have major difficulties facing SCJD. I am sure it would be difficult also for Mr Joe Likely with mild learning difficulties.

[ November 09, 2008: Message edited by: Gerald Davis ]


Again, I believe the difficulties are not technical. A typical Bachelor undergraduate should be able to do it. However most of them are probably not enough self-motivated. That's the hardest part in my opinion.

SCJD covers mainly 3 technical aspects: network, SWING and threads (perhaps a fourth one: good O-O programming). All other difficulties are related to organization, keeping track of choices, requirements, handling lack of motivation, documenting...

I'm trying to give you an accurate picture (according to my opinions). I still believe this is one of the strongest java certification one can do mostly because it "proves" you can take on a project and see it through.

Regard,
Alex
[ November 09, 2008: Message edited by: Alex Belisle Turcot ]
 
Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
Posts: 516
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gerald Davis:
The thing I need to prove my programming competence to make a point. However, the only real hard proof is my SCJD. Most non-IT people will not know what that is ,or might not consider it that difficult a European Computer Drivers Licence ECDL, which I just completed a few months back. In comparison to the SCJD, ECDL is like a Micky Mouse Certificate.



I agree with you, I also think most people don't know what SCJD is. The certification sounds like it is just another Programmer certification or another name for it. If you most prove your competence, why not show them your final SCJD application. Other than that, the important thing is that you did it and you know what you can do!

Remember that certifications are not everything. I personally like certification because they provide me with a strong structure to learn something. Rather than jumping in all directions, I can follow the books/objectives on a certification.

Regards,
Alex
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic