• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

confusion err message "HTTP method GET is not supported by this URL"

 
David Westbrook
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out all of this servlet stuff. Here is what I did:

First, using one of the WORKING examples from apache tomcat 6, I took this:



copied it and changed the class name to blabla, so now the line that said:



says this:



and yes, I did name the file blabla.java and i didn't get compiler err.

I compiled the program and moved the blabla.class file to the same folder that the HelloWorldExample.class file was located. I then added the following lines of code to the web.xml file located in the webapps/examples/WEB-INF folder:



When I go to the URL

http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets/servlet/HelloWorldExample

it works fine, but when I go to

http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets/servlet/blabla

I get the message:

HTTP method GET is not supported by this URL

And the description:

The specified HTTP method is not allowed for the requested resource (HTTP method GET is not supported by this URL).

I have read up, and it seems this is a common error which usually occurs because people don't override the super class doGet method provided by the HttpServlet class, but if you look at my code, I obviously do that.

So to recap, I copied WORKING HelloWorldExample servlet and renamed HelloWorldExample to blabla in the java file. I then compiled it and moved blabla.class to the same location as HelloWorldExample.class. I then added to web.xml to configure url mapping.

Was there something else that I missed? Is there something obvious that my frustration is blinding me from? Thanks in advance for the help.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 65125
92
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The first thing to do, in order to eliminate it as a possible source of error, is to move your class to a package other than the default.

Yeah, the other class appears to be working, but it's a poor practice and can lead to issues. Let's eliminate it a source of issues and move on if the problem persists. (As well as just getting into a good habit.)
 
David Westbrook
Greenhorn
Posts: 16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I didn't really fix this per say. I made a new dynamic web project on eclipse and used the defaults from there and ran it and it worked. I do think that I could have used package manager to fix it like Bear suggested (thnx) but right now I need to move on. If I have time to revisit this later I will, but for now I have a project deadline to meet, so I'm going to keep moving.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic