Win a copy of GANs in ActionE this week in the AI forum
or WebAssembly in Action in the JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Are we simulated?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1241
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I came across a fairly interesting theory recently claiming that we probably don't live in the real world. The theory goes like this:

* Any sufficiently intelligent species will eventually be able to and will create complex simulations of reality.
* Given the estimated final age of the universe, the chances are that such an intelligent species will come along at some point.
* These simulations will eventually be cheap enough (in resource terms) to be run multiple times.
* Given multiple simulations of reality are likely, the chances that what we see as reality is a simulation is very high.

The theory argues that if a species made 99 simulations, then the number of possible realities we could be in are 100 (the 99 fake simulations and the 1 real world). This gives us only a 1% chance of being in reality and a 99% chance of being in a simulation.

How would we ever know if this world is a simulation? If we can't tell, does it really matter if we are or not? Are we any less real by being in a simulation?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 95
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I guess the agents from the matrix will be paying you a visit sooner or later, get ready to fight
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How would we ever know if this world is a simulation?

If a man named Morpheus ever offers you a choice of a red bill or a blue pill, please, take the blue pill. Then you never have to know the world is a simulation.

Serioously Dave, did you read this theory on imdb.com?
 
lowercase baba
Posts: 12792
51
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
just ask the mice...
 
Ew. You guys are ugly with a capital UG. Here, maybe this tiny ad can help:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!