i am beginner in Java.
Currently i am using pre configured tomcat server 6.0.16 it used to work fine before and recently i also installed Bea weblogic 10.3 changed the paths and since then i think the tomcat is not working fine.
So i have removed all the extra paths that i have added for weblogic and also uninstalled it but still i am facing the problem.
When i run the startup.bat i get the message "INFO: Server startup in 1618 ms" but when i try to open "http://localhost/" in a browser i won't get the index page.
What happens instead? A 404? Blank page? Webbrowser default error page? (if so, which?). More details please. Information about the error is highly important to trackback the cause.
Besides, do you also have read the appserver logs? Startup information (under each also the port) and any errors should be logged there. Carefully read it, ask yourself what each line means and if it is correct.
Thanks for the lead.
below pasted is the log from the file "logs\catalina.xxxx.xx.xx.log"
this log consists of startup log and also the log after i shutdown the server the only error i could found is "SEVERE: Socket accept failed" and i could not make anything of it.
and the page that is displayed in browser is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
Sorry, I now see that you pasted a log of the shutdown as well. Have you manually shut down Tomcat? Is this error only occurring during shutdown?
Anyway, the startup log at its own looks fine.
How have you installed Tomcat? Just downloaded the zip and extracted it to the desired location without any changes? Or did you download the windows executabele? Are you using Tomcat in some IDE like Eclipse and running it from there, or running it standalone?
The tomcat that i am using is a pre configured one where i just downloaded the zip and extracted it to the desired location without any changes.I am using Vista.
I have Eclipse too installed on my system. But currently i am running the tomcat as standalone.
You were right when i start my tomcat server, i am able to see a new process "java.exe" in the processes tab of my task manager.
So i went to my firewall settings and i could see there are 6 entries for java.
1)Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary --- pointing to the location --- C:\program files\java\jdk1.5.0_16\bin\java.exe
2)Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary --- C:\program files\adobe\flex builder 3\jre\bin\javaw.exe
3)Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary --- pointing to jrockit in the bea folder.
4)Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary --- pointing to jrockit in the bea folder.
5)Java(TM) 2 Platform SE binary --- C:\program files\java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\javaw.exe
6)Java(TM) 2 Platform SE binary --- C:\program files\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe
So as i have uninstalled Bea Weblogic i have deleted the 3rd and 4th entry.
and also i have deleted the tomcat6 and tomcat6w entries also as i have created them, restarted the system and started my tomcat i am getting the message "INFO: Server startup in 1675 ms" but when i give "http://localhost/" in my browser i get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
Of all the things there are to dislike about MS-IE, those "friendly HTTP error messages" are at the top of the list for developers.
IE is concealing the actual error code which might give you a clue. You can change IE setting as follows:
In the Internet Options dialog (under tools menu)
the Advanced tab
scroll down about 1/3 and look for the "Show friendly HTTP error messages" checkbox in the Browsing section
uncheck that box and you will get more useful error messages
Better solution - get the firefox browser with the plugins that let see what the request-response messages really are.