We have been building a Blog Writer desktop application using java and swing.
You can take a look at our 1.0 version using this link -> http://www.psiqueware.com/girasol/launch.jnlp or http://www.psiqueware.com/pw/scope.do?doc=downloads_en
We have reach the stage where we want add plugin functionality.
My concerns are about it are the following:
About Loading and Downloading
- Should we just download them using https from our site to our temporal directory and create a custom classloader .
- How do you recommend us to download and load the pluggins?
- Do you know any other mecanism that we can benefit from?
- Is it posible to isolate attached jars? How? I mean if two pluggins contain 2 separated versions of spring it could be problematic.
- Is it posible to partially isolate downloaded pluggins? It would be great have comunication between a limited number of clases.
- Our application uses jnlp, can we reuse something in that area?
- Does anybody knows about an existing library for us to use?
I have no experience with custom classloaders therefore I think I can benefit from every one of your comments,
PS: I leave you with some screenshots of our project.
OSGi is all about classloading mechanisms at runtime, and pluggable entities. But the look of your situation I suppose it can come handy for you.