Win a copy of Five Lines of Code this week in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

java or integrator

 
S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Posts: 493
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys ,

I need your badly advice in this issue , i 'm a java and j2ee developer for 4 years now and certified j2se and j2ee, working in a bank , recently our treasury dep. needed me to be with them but they are not using java ,the most stuff they are using in Biztalk , cognos and many integration tools , so they wanna train me on these ,they trying to convince me with the benefits of joining this dep. from financial view and technology view ,
that ll learn alot in it but not something related to java , and what my concern is the technology , what i wanna your advice in is
is it good for my career to leave java beside for a while ,and using integration tools like biztalk and be integrator , or stick to java ?
and i wanna know the rate of integrator jobs vs java development jobs

So confused ,and Badly need your help ....
 
Nikhil Sun
Ranch Hand
Posts: 108
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sherif,I guess it would be helpful if you could briefly describe the kind of work you have done in Java/J2EE for 4 years.This might be helpful for people to give their suggestions about the direction you could take.
If you have been working on Core Java,development of Web Applications using frameworks like Struts,ORM tools etc for all this while then it maybe nice to get into the new profile and get experience in integration as well.It will be a value addition for you.
And it could help you be seen at your workplace as someone who is willing to learn things and contribute.
 
S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Posts: 493
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nikhil Sun wrote:Sherif,I guess it would be helpful if you could briefly describe the kind of work you have done in Java/J2EE for 4 years.This might be helpful for people to give their suggestions about the direction you could take.
If you have been working on Core Java,development of Web Applications using frameworks like Struts,ORM tools etc for all this while then it maybe nice to get into the new profile and get experience in integration as well.It will be a value addition for you.
And it could help you be seen at your workplace as someone who is willing to learn things and contribute.



here are small brief about my experince:

Responsible for the Interactive voice response systems (IVR) as development, enhancement, supporting and sometimes acting as Project manger for some projects using a internal customized tool not a standard one

Developed Reporting System from scratch for our call center using j2ee , MSSQL ,Tomcat and apache POI
Worked in a team which responsible for the Company internal projects like Car fleet systems, HR system & Accounting Systems development

Worked in a team which responsible for provides customers with a lot of functionalities using ATMs such as cash withdrawal, balance inquiry, money transfer, bill payment, credit card payment …etc

1. Servlets
2. Struts
3. JDBC
4. IBM Websphere
5. IBM DB2
6. Broker
7. MQ series.
8. JSP
9. jse

So what do you think after this small brief ?
 
S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Posts: 493
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

Any advice beacause i need to answer the new dep. as soon as possible
 
nek thomas
Greenhorn
Posts: 27
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hey Sherif

I believe, it is beneficial to expand your profile. This will diversify your skills, and make you more complete professional at work. And, I think there is no harm in learning new skills, as it will enhance your work related skills in different direction.


I hope this helps

Thanks

Nek
 
S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Posts: 493
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

nek thomas wrote:hey Sherif

I believe, it is beneficial to expand your profile. This will diversify your skills, and make you more complete professional at work. And, I think there is no harm in learning new skills, as it will enhance your work related skills in different direction.


I hope this helps

Thanks

Nek


this what i was thinking in "No harm from new learning" , but what i'm afraid of that i lose my skills in Java
 
nek thomas
Greenhorn
Posts: 27
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
well you may forget some java for a while, but eventually you will gain from multi directional experience; and I believe once you come back to java with experience, you may have totally different, and better perspective when working on java


Thanks


Nek
 
S Shehab
Ranch Hand
Posts: 493
Android Eclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

nek thomas wrote:well you may forget some java for a while, but eventually you will gain from multi directional experience; and I believe once you come back to java with experience, you may have totally different, and better perspective when working on java


Thanks


Nek



Ya you are right , i;m convinced now and as you said :"harm in learning new skills " , wish me luck in my new title
Thanks for the advice
 
arulk pillai
Author
Posts: 3445
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Integration skills are in good demand. You may use different products, but concepts will be similar.
 
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic