Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Philosophers stone

 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11070
13
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In case you didn't know, a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone]philosopher's stone[/url] is a stone which can turn base metals (say lead) into gold.

Over the ages, man has thrived to get rich quick. The philosopher's stone is a prime example. Well the good news is that I have managed to figure out how to turn base metals into gold and I am willing to share it with you.
If you remember your school chemistry, you already know that the basic difference between elements is the number of electrons. If you also remember your school physics, electricity is nothing but the flow of electrons.
That's it then. If you start with sodium (very easy to obtain, every day salt is sodium chloride) and apply huge amounts of electricity, I am sure some of the electrons will be attracted towards the sodium atom and eventually it will turn to Magnesium...to Potassium...to Calcium and so forth. Just work your way up in the periodic table till you hit Gold.

I would do this myself (ha! and you thought I was a saint to let you in on this secret), but the city I live in, is currently facing power outages. I expect 5% of the Gold value as royalty. Interested people may ping me for my paypal account details.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21199
81
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yea... but doesn't that get you Sodium with a lot of electrons? You also need to add Protons and Neutrons to get gold...

Henry
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11070
13
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Henry Wong wrote:Yea... but doesn't that get you Sodium with a lot of electrons? You also need to add Protons and Neutrons to get gold...
Henry


I am supposed to figure out that part too? Come on! Give me a break
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
Firefox Browser Linux MyEclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Henry Wong wrote:Yea... but doesn't that get you Sodium with a lot of electrons? You also need to add Protons and Neutrons to get gold...
Henry


I am supposed to figure out that part too? Come on! Give me a break


Well Duh ! Just buy them at your local super market and sprinkle as necessary
 
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 710
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deepak Bala wrote:
Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Henry Wong wrote:Yea... but doesn't that get you Sodium with a lot of electrons? You also need to add Protons and Neutrons to get gold...
Henry


I am supposed to figure out that part too? Come on! Give me a break


Well Duh ! Just buy them at your local super market and sprinkle as necessary


And if you have trouble maintaining the cohesion of your nucleus, just slap some duct tape on it!
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11070
13
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Duct tape is know to behave erratically under such circumstances. I would recommend gum.
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12146
30
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:If you remember your school chemistry, you already know that the basic difference between elements is the number of electrons.

Perhaps, but if you remember your high school chemistry CORRECTLY, it is ONLY the number of protons that determines what an element is - not the electrons.
 
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:
Maneesh Godbole wrote:If you remember your school chemistry, you already know that the basic difference between elements is the number of electrons.

Perhaps, but if you remember your high school chemistry CORRECTLY, it is ONLY the number of protons that determines what an element is - not the electrons.


Marc Weber minored in Chemistry so maybe he can provide some input to put this debate to rest but I think he is on vacation he hasn't been posting much lately here.
 
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 24211
35
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry* and I can verify that Maneesh's proposal is 100% correct. Unfortunately, it's a huge secret preserved by the Illuminati over the centuries, and now that he knows, he cannot be allowed to tell anyone. A fleet of black vans has already been dispatched to his house.

-------

* This part is actually true
 
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry* and I can verify that Maneesh's proposal is 100% correct. Unfortunately, it's a huge secret preserved by the Illuminati over the centuries, and now that he knows, he cannot be allowed to tell anyone. A fleet of black vans has already been dispatched to his house.

-------

* This part is actually true


I didn't know you were a Doctor. You have alot of talents too, and most certainly are a genius- I have seen your artwork and I have to say your sense of humor is par excellence, and of course you are an esteemed author also just to name a few of your talents. The number of geniuses at Javaranch is just beyond belief. If I can accomplish just 1/10th of everything you have achieved I would consider myself lucky if it even remotely possible to be like you?
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
Firefox Browser Linux MyEclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A fleet of black vans has already been dispatched to his house.




Whoa man that really cracked me up. Thanks EFH.

When I saw the red star I thought it would read - 'Conditions apply'.

Anyways, while you guys were busy trying to play around with protons electrons and bind it all with duct tape, I asked Harry Potter to fax me the philosopher's stone via email. It should reach me any moment now. Muhahahaha !
 
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1374
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Arvind, your sig could be something like I want to be like Marc,EFH,Bear,Ulf,Jeanne,...(I'll complete the list later). They all are very versatile. You can learn from them through JR.
 
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 710
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deepak Bala wrote:
A fleet of black vans has already been dispatched to his house.




Whoa man that really cracked me up. Thanks EFH.

When I saw the red star I thought it would read - 'Conditions apply'.

Anyways, while you guys were busy trying to play around with protons electrons and bind it all with duct tape, I asked Harry Potter to fax me the philosopher's stone via email. It should reach me any moment now. Muhahahaha !


Too bad you contact the lame American Harry Potter and will be getting the (virtually) worthless Sorcerer's Stone instead.
 
Monu Tripathi
Rancher
Posts: 1369
1
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
......Unfortunately, it's a huge secret preserved by the Illuminati over the centuries, and now that he knows, he cannot be allowed to tell anyone. A fleet of black vans has already been dispatched to his house.


Mission update: EFH, last I checked they all got stuck in a big pot hole! Do you have a plan B?


@Maneesh: I have no doubt in your theory; just one question
Did you have your drinking glass anywhere near when starting this thread?
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64970
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Monu Tripathi wrote:Do you have a plan B?

Black helicopters!
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11070
13
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Monu Tripathi wrote:Mission update: EFH, last I checked they all got stuck in a big pot hole! Do you have a plan B?


Meh!
That is the official story, touted by the Illuminati to save face. Because of the power cuts I mentioned, there is not enough illumination for the Illuminati to carry out their sleazy schemes.
Besides, I promised the guys in the black vans a slice of the loot. They work for me now.

 
Jules Bach
Ranch Hand
Posts: 71
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Lead into Gold? Why on earth would you want to do that?

Gold into Lead sounds much more exciting!

197Au + n → 198Au (halflife 2.7 days) → 198Hg + n → 199Hg + n → 200Hg + n → 201Hg + n → 202Hg + n → 203Hg (halflife 47 days) → 203Tl + n → 204Tl (halflife 3.8 years) → 204Pb (halflife 1.4x1017 years)

Not a chemist, but a wikipediaholic...Convert gold into lead via neutron capture and beta decay
 
Paul Yule
Ranch Hand
Posts: 229
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:
* This part is actually true


Wait, are you implying the rest is not true?
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 15364
40
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:I would do this myself (ha! and you thought I was a saint to let you in on this secret), but the city I live in, is currently facing power outages.

That's going to be a problem, because you're going to need a lot of power, and a device like this. Don't expect to get a lot of gold quickly however, you'll be making the gold atom by atom.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic