Win a copy of Head First Android this week in the Android forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Al Hobbs
  • salvin francis

Back of database

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi I am facing a problem taking the backup of my DB. mysqldump command shows error. I am using mysql 5.1.. Please help.

Thankyou in advance

 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40797
828
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mahi Lohi wrote:mysqldump command shows error.


You're likely to get more specific help if you share more information. Let's start with - what was the error message?
 
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

Mahi Lohi wrote:mysqldump command shows error.


You're likely to get more specific help if you share more information. Let's start with - what was the error message?





Am using mysql 5.1

C:\>mysqldump -r root -p password DBName> fileName.sql.

It shows mysqldump is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

However the file to which I like to take the back up is created with no data in it.

Thank you,
 
Bartender
Posts: 2659
19
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

the file is created because you use >
This will tell the operating system to create the file, and has nothing to do with mysql.

To be able to run the mysqldump program, you will have to:
  • navigate to the directory where the mysqldump executable is located, and run it from there - or
  • add the path when you run the command ( "c:\progr...\mysq...\mysqldump.exe" -r root -p password DBName> fileName.sql) - or
  • Add the path to the mysql binaries to your operating system PATH
  •  
    Mahesh Lohi
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 151
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Jan Cumps wrote:Hi,

    the file is created because you use >
    This will tell the operating system to create the file, and has nothing to do with mysql.

    To be able to run the mysqldump program, you will have to:

  • navigate to the directory where the mysqldump executable is located, and run it from there - or
  • add the path when you run the command ( "c:\progr...\mysq...\mysqldump.exe" -r root -p password DBName> fileName.sql) - or
  • Add the path to the mysql binaries to your operating system PATH


  • I executed the way you have mentioned but then it is asking me for password and gives me an error of this kind after entering the password


    mysqldump: Got error :1045 :access denied for user "ODBC" @localhost (using password: Yes) When trying to connect...

    Thank you in advance

     
    Jan Cumps
    Bartender
    Posts: 2659
    19
    Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Do you have a MySQL user named ODBC that has the correct rights?
     
    Mahesh Lohi
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 151
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Jan Cumps wrote:Do you have a MySQL user named ODBC that has the correct rights?




    I have no user named ODBC. I am using Netbean IDE , with jdbc odbc connection .. Does this make a difference..



    Thank you
     
    Bartender
    Posts: 4109
    72
    Hibernate Fedora Chrome
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    Mahi Lohi wrote:I have no user named ODBC. I am using Netbean IDE , with jdbc odbc connection .. Does this make a difference..



    By looking at your previous post you are executing the mysql commands from the command line right? So I think this has nothing to do with the Netbeans. You should have username/password to access mysql DB. Read this for more details.
     
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 234
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    How can I make the backup of my MySQL database step by step please?
     
    Vijitha Kumara
    Bartender
    Posts: 4109
    72
    Hibernate Fedora Chrome
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator

    André Asantos wrote:How can I make the backup of my MySQL database step by step please?


    MySQL backup methods.
     
    Mahesh Lohi
    Ranch Hand
    Posts: 151
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Quote
    • Report post to moderator
    Thnak you for your replies
    reply
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic