• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
Sheriffs:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

Features missing in Laptop/Notebook

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I miss following features which could have been from the very first day laptop was launched.

#) Should be able to mute the sound.
#) Power point in laptop, where you insert the cord, should be robust to handle wear-tear.
#) Should be able switch off the screen.
#) Should be able to play VCD/DVD without loading OS
#) Should be able to disable the touch pad (luckily my laptop has it, but still I find many laptops who dont have this feature)
#) When I put USB mouse then touch pad should become disable.

now my son will not let me write more ..

what do you miss in laptop?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

R K Singh wrote:I miss following features which could have been from the very first day laptop was launched.

#) Should be able to mute the sound.
#) Power point in laptop, where you insert the cord, should be robust to handle wear-tear.
#) Should be able switch off the screen.
#) Should be able to play VCD/DVD without loading OS
#) Should be able to disable the touch pad (luckily my laptop has it, but still I find many laptops who dont have this feature)
#) When I put USB mouse then touch pad should become disable.

now my son will not let me write more ..

what do you miss in laptop?



Mute Sound - I can on mine
Power point - Mine is held in magnetically, not actually inserted, so no problem there
Switch off screen - I just close mine
Play VCD/DVD - My secondary laptop has this ability
Disable touch pad - yep, can do
USB mouse disabled touch pad - yep, can do

So I'm not missing much.
 
Sheriff
Posts: 9671
42
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My laptop doesn't have option to turn off the touch pad. I have to turn it off from the software it uses. Other than that I just don't like the touchflow buttons. They can pause play movies only in Windows Media Player, nothing else . I also miss a graphic card which was out of my budget ...
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gregg Bolinger wrote:
Mute Sound - I can on mine
Power point - Mine is held in magnetically, not actually inserted, so no problem there
Switch off screen - I just close mine
Play VCD/DVD - My secondary laptop has this ability
Disable touch pad - yep, can do
USB mouse disabled touch pad - yep, can do

So I'm not missing much.



I envy you ;-)

Mute sound - Yes I can do too.. but what I wanted to say that while starting OS, if I click on display button of mute it does not mute, once OS is loaded then only it works :-(
 
Sheriff
Posts: 11343
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

R K Singh wrote:... but what I wanted to say that while starting OS, if I click on display button of mute it does not mute, once OS is loaded then only it works :-(


Ah, yes... Silencing the start-up chime before the OS is up and running. There are hacks out there, depending on your platform. (Not sure it's something I would want to mess with.)

Otherwise, I'm with Gregg on the other features.
 
Rancher
Posts: 425
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My laptop doesn't have an option of disabling the touch pad.
I also miss Bluetooth in my laptop....
And a DVD Writer...
And hard disc space more than 80 GB.... I would've loved to have like 512 GB or 1 TB hard disc....

But anyways, this is a laptop given to me by my employer... so can't complain....
 
ranger
Posts: 17344
11
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am with Gregg. Got to love MacBooks.

Mark
 
Bartender
Posts: 11445
18
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

marc weber wrote: There are hacks out there, depending on your platform. (Not sure it's something I would want to mess with.)



Why do you need a hack? Just set the sound scheme to no sound. I always hated that silly tra la la la and poink and bink sounds. Found them childish and very irritating.
 
Java Cowboy
Posts: 16084
88
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

R K Singh wrote:#) Should be able to play VCD/DVD without loading OS


I think most Dell laptops can do this, they have a special mini-OS called Dell Media Direct which contains not much more than a media player. It is activated when you switch on the laptop with a special button. I see it more as a gimmick that's not really useful.
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Maneesh Godbole wrote:
Why do you need a hack? Just set the sound scheme to no sound.



Thanks Maneesh .. I will check this tonight..
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper Young wrote:I see it more as a gimmick that's not really useful.



hmm..... I need it because just to play DVD, I dont want to load full OS which takes time.

Why should I play DVD in laptop only? Answer will divert the actual discussion ;-)
 
Ankit Garg
Sheriff
Posts: 9671
42
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper Young wrote:I think most Dell laptops can do this, they have a special mini-OS called Dell Media Direct which contains not much more than a media player. It is activated when you switch on the laptop with a special button. I see it more as a gimmick that's not really useful.



I screwed my laptop on this front. I got the laptop with only 1 partition so I formatted it which removed the Dell Media Direct partition. So now trying to boot the media direct OS results in a BSOD ...
 
author
Posts: 15385
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper Young wrote:I see it more as a gimmick that's not really useful.



I am guessing you do not fly much.

Operating system wastes tons of battery juice to run all of the crap you are not using. This will make sure only the bear minimum would run and allow you to watch 3 movies on a flight instead of 2.

Eric

 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Eric Pascarello wrote:

Jesper Young wrote:I see it more as a gimmick that's not really useful.



I am guessing you do not fly much.

Operating system wastes tons of battery juice to run all of the crap you are not using. This will make sure only the bear minimum would run and allow you to watch 3 movies on a flight instead of 2.

Eric



I just watch movies on my iphone. Easier to hide all the nekid ladies from the passengers behind me anyway. Smaller screen. ;)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3850
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can disable and enable my touch pad but don't understand why that option is provided?

 
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3850
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Maneesh Godbole wrote:

marc weber wrote: There are hacks out there, depending on your platform. (Not sure it's something I would want to mess with.)



Why do you need a hack? Just set the sound scheme to no sound. I always hated that silly tra la la la and poink and bink sounds. Found them childish and very irritating.



If you keep volume on mute then it won't play start up sound.
 
author
Posts: 8998
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I want a laptop with a small footprint but a fold-out display
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

ankur rathi wrote:I can disable and enable my touch pad but don't understand why that option is provided?



when you are writing any document, and suddenly if your hand by mistake touches the touch pad then you will not know unless and untill you look at your screen ..
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gregg Bolinger wrote:
I just watch movies on my iphone. Easier to hide all the nekid ladies from the passengers behind me anyway. Smaller screen. ;)



I feel that iPhone will soon out throw note books .. as it has everything for what I use notebook at HOME.
 
R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5390
1
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

ankur rathi wrote:
If you keep volume on mute then it won't play start up sound.



Last post of today:

If I am watching movie then I have to play sound and I dont want to worry about to mute the sound before I shut it down.
 
please buy my thing and then I'll have more money:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!