Following are some tips that i want to share with you all who are
planning to give SCJP 1.5
The exam which i gave consisted of 60 questions. Passing Percentage: 58%
Please master in rules of overriding and overloading , coz almost
all the questions test you knowledge of overloading and overriding
Make your concept clear for boxing , unboxing, wrapper to primitive ,
primitive to wrapper .
Criteria for selecting appropriate overloaded method when there are
2-3 methods overloaded with Object, Primitive, Var args as an
For file i/o , Serialization , get thorough with steps , you will
mostly get drag and drop questions on this section .
String , string buffer , String builder get familiar with API
Threading , Synchronization …… Generics and Collections -- get
thorough with Collection and Array API .HashCode and Equals
overriding , Generics concept , Generic classes
Special thanks to Devaka for ExamLabs simulator.***
The generics concept which is given in Kathy book is good but to get
thorough with each and every syntax when you use generics
we need some more material . There are many ways by which you can
declare generics (with warning and without warning compilation )
and use it . And you need to understand it more critically since here
we do have one more answer “compilation with warning or without
warning ” in the options given ;)
Othere imp topics were Enum , Var-args , Boxing unboxing and File I/0 ..
Since these are new topics included for scjp 1.5 . we need to focus more on these new topics .
(It is obvious that we should be good in other topics also but we can get so
many questions on these old topics from hundred of sites )
By referring questions which are given at the back of Kathy’s book you can
get exam cleared but if you want to get good score you have to go through
different types of questions on these new topics.
All The Best !!!
(for those Who all are planning to give SCJP 1.5 )
You are really scaring me , i am 10-12 days away from the D-Day ,and i am solely dependent on sierra-bates.Anyway, i will start with exam lab from monday onwards,lets see what happens.
congratulations for reaching the end with a triumph
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee
posted 10 years ago
Some useful stuff for preparation (which i got 5 days b4 i appeared for my exam...)
Potential trips/traps in the SCJP exam?
• Two public classes in the same file.
• Main method calling a non-static method.
• Methods with the same name as the constructor(s).
• Thread initiation with classes that don't have a run() method.
• Local inner classes trying to access non-final variables.
• Case statements with values out of permissible range.
• Math class being an option for immutable classes !!
• instanceOf is not the same as instanceof
• Private constructors
• An assignment statement which looks like a comparison if( a=true)...
• System.exit() in try-catch-finally blocks.
• Uninitialized variable references with no path of proper initialization.
• Order of try-catch-finally blocks matters.
• main() can be declared final.
• -0.0 == 0.0 is true.
• A class without abstract methods can still be declared abstract.
• RandomAccessFile descends from Object and implements DataInput and DataOutput.
• Map does not implement Collection.
• Dictionary is a class, not an interface.
• Collection is an Interface where as Collections is a helper class.
• Class declarations can come in any order ( derived first, base next etc. ).
• Forward references to variables gives compiler error.
• Multi dimensional arrays can be sparse ie. if you imagine the array as a matrix, every row need not have the same number of columns.
• Arrays, whether local or class-level, are always initialized
• Strings are initialized to null, not empty string.
• An empty string is NOT the same as a null string.
• A declaration cannot be labelled.
• continue must be in a loop( for, do , while ). It cannot appear in case constructs.
• Primitive array types can never be assigned to each other, even though the primitives themselves can be assigned. ie., ArrayofLongPrimitives = ArrayofIntegerPrimitives gives compiler error even though longvar = intvar is perfectly valid.
• A constructor can throw any exception.
• Initializer blocks are executed in the order of declaration.
• Instance initializer(s) gets executed ONLY IF the objects are constructed.
• All comparisons involving NaN and a non-Nan always result in false.
• Default type of a numeric literal with a decimal point is double.
• integer (and long ) operations / and % can throw ArithmeticException while float / and % will never, even in case of division by zero.
• == gives compiler error if the operands are cast-incompatible.
• You can never cast objects of sibling classes( sharing the same parent ), even with an explicit cast.
• .equals() returns false if the object types are different. It does not raise a compiler error.
• No inner class can have a static member.
• File class has NO methods to deal with the contents of the file.
• InputStream and OutputStream are abstract classes, while DataInput and DataOutput are interfaces.
I cleared SCJP 5.0 with 76% just 2 days back. Although went through this site pretty late for SCJP prep, it was worth the time. The links provided for the mock tests here, and SCJP faq were very useful. I referred Kathy Sierra/Bert Bates SCJP 5.0 prep book and some mock tests.