Win a copy of Escape Velocity: Better Metrics for Agile Teams this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Sheriffs:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Frank Carver
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Al Hobbs
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • fred rosenberger

Java Project

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I would like to code an application in java. Please suggest me one, so that I can start of rigth away.
I wish to learn coding in java.


Thank you in advance.

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 80
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What type of JAVA applications you are looking for ? Is it core java or J2ee applications ? If you are very new to Java, it is better to code the core java. Gradually, you can do J2ee coding.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 689
Scala Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.
 
Marshal
Posts: 76474
366
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Try the assignments in the Cattle Drive.
 
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.



I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.

 
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Vamsi Mohan wrote:What type of JAVA applications you are looking for ? Is it core java or J2ee applications ? If you are very new to Java, it is better to code the core java. Gradually, you can do J2ee coding.



I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.

Thank you for the reply.



 
author
Posts: 23928
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mahi Lohi wrote:
I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.



Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you already know how to do web development in Java? If so, you should already know core Java, already know either JSPs or servlets, and already know what you need to get up to speed on.

Or are you saying you do web development using other technologies? If so, it would help to tell us your experience level, and what technologies you are referring to here.

Henry
 
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Henry Wong wrote:

Mahi Lohi wrote:
I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.



Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you already know how to do web development in Java? If so, you should already know core Java, already know either JSPs or servlets, and already know what you need to get up to speed on.

Or are you saying you do web development using other technologies? If so, it would help to tell us your experience level, and what technologies you are referring to here.

Henry



Sorry for the confusion caused. I do web development using java (struts). But I wish to learn how to create a standalone application using java. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts up.

Thanks for the quick reply

 
Nishan Patel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 689
Scala Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mahi Lohi wrote:

Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.



I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.



If you are using netbeans you have already get Hibernate in-build.

Hibernate Demo

I give you advise to use Struts 2.x. because Struts 2.x is easy to use and configure.

Struts



 
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 151
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nishan Patel wrote:

Mahi Lohi wrote:

Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.



I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.



If you are using netbeans you have already get Hibernate in-build.

Hibernate Demo

I give you advise to use Struts 2.x. because Struts 2.x is easy to use and configure.

Struts






Thank you . can I build a stand alone application using Hibernate .

The application is with GUI.

please help

 
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Tiny ad:
Garden Master Course kickstarter
https://coderanch.com/t/754577/Garden-Master-kickstarter
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic