I have recently been exposed to a dilemma of making a choice between Xml over Http and Soap Web Services to implement a solution and it made me wonder about the factors which would influence an architect's choice favoring one over the other.
I considered the following to begin with -
1. Support of tooling (Soap toolkits are readily available and hence rapid development can be ensured)
2. Simplicity of use /learning curve (XOH would win hands down on this one)
3. Message Size (typically the payload size of an XOH message would be smaller)
4. Client platform support for Soap (Some clients express reluctance in using soap toolkits, here XOH is a good option)
5. Flexibility (Soap offfers much more flexibility because it accounts for intermediaries, XOH is more of a Point to Point solution)
I am hoping to have more inputs from the group...anyone?
OCMJEA/SCEA, SCDJWS, SCBCD 1.3, SCJP 1.4
My SCEA experience:http://javalogue.blogspot.com/
What are you doing? You are supposed to be reading this tiny ad!
the new thread boost feature brings a LOT of attention to your favorite threads