• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Himai Minh

Package for Sr. J2EE consultant, 10 years experience

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How much can I expect as a Sr. J2EE consultant with almost 10 years experience in Pune or Banglore?
 
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How much do you want and what are your skills / background ? It also depends on the kind of company that you are getting yourself into
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I will be doing Spring/Hibernate and related server side stuff. The company is lesser known, but technically string. I would like to know range of payment that I would consider as far & average. How much I want is immaterial - I want 50 LPA, do I get that? Nah!!!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR if you have truly good communication and writing skills...and a nice personality (easily works with others).
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10198
3
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

James Clarks wrote:You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR if you have truly good communication and writing skills...and a nice personality (easily works with others).



I'm sure you were kidding right?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3389
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:

I'm sure you were kidding right?



Should it be mandatory or what?
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

James Clarks wrote:You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR if you have truly good communication and writing skills...and a nice personality (easily works with others).


Didn't get the humor, mind elaborating? I am genuinely interested in knowing the range of package for 10 yrs experience for a technical role.

 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR



I am not sure if this was a joke, but 47,000,000 is the kind of salary some one with 18-24 years of experience can expect, if they are good.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:
I am not sure if this was a joke, but 47,000,000 is the kind of salary some one with 18-24 years of experience can expect, if they are good.



So you added one more zero to it making 4.7 million to 47 millions!
 
Rancher
Posts: 425
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:

You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR



I am not sure if this was a joke, but 47,000,000 is the kind of salary some one with 18-24 years of experience can expect, if they are good.



I think it already was a joke. And you made it more so by adding one more zero in the amount mentioned by the original poster..!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 241
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Manish Hatwalne wrote:I want 50 LPA, do I get that? Nah!!!



Yes, why not. I'm not kidding. Such opportunities appear once in blue moon.

There are some openings where they look for gurus, with inclination towards a pure technical role. If you are one of those, you have a fair chance of reaching you dream. If money is your target, then you'll have to keep an eye on small/mid sized product based companies.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikanth Basavaraju wrote:

Manish Hatwalne wrote:I want 50 LPA, do I get that? Nah!!!



Yes, why not. I'm not kidding. Such opportunities appear once in blue moon.

There are some openings where they look for gurus, with inclination towards a pure technical role. If you are one of those, you have a fair chance of reaching you dream. If money is your target, then you'll have to keep an eye on small/mid sized product based companies.



I think the amount quoted is unrealistic and is not going to happen. I request people to refrain from posting such information if they do not have their facts and data correct. Please post if you have an answer to his question. If you want to make fun please use meaningless drivel.

As far as the salary goes, in reference to India, they look at what you were being paid earlier and then add a percentage to it. If you are good at what you do then a 50% hike is not uncommon. In absolute terms I have never seen anyone with a 10 year experience technical guy getting more than 20 LPA INR. People get more than that but you have to be in google or some place built for Geeks to get more than that.

Also I generally see an abundance of Java/J2ee guys and an overall low pay scale compared to other languages such as C, C++ or Mainframes.

P.S. : The above information was specific to India and I take that he was referring to Indian salaries. Though I would like to know the payscales for other countries as well.

 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Pushkar Choudhary wrote:

Deepak Bala wrote:

You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR



I am not sure if this was a joke, but 47,000,000 is the kind of salary some one with 18-24 years of experience can expect, if they are good.



I think it already was a joke. And you made it more so by adding one more zero in the amount mentioned by the original poster..!



eek !

I agree with Collin's views. The range is usually anywhere from 16-24 L. It can be higher if you are in a geek based company and you are very good at what you do
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:

Pushkar Choudhary wrote:

Deepak Bala wrote:

You should expect at least the equivalent of 4700000 INR



I am not sure if this was a joke, but 47,000,000 is the kind of salary some one with 18-24 years of experience can expect, if they are good.



I think it already was a joke. And you made it more so by adding one more zero in the amount mentioned by the original poster..!



eek !

I agree with Collin's views. The range is usually anywhere from 16-24 L. It can be higher if you are in a geek based company and you are very good at what you do



Finally!!! Thanks Collin & Deepak!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 136
Eclipse IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi 16-24L I think its little high, I know a Guy of around 10 years who works as a Architect/PM (I see lot or raised eye brows here but its true) in one of the leading MLC in India but has a pay of around 10L

Usually companies tend to pay you upto 50% (normally20- 30%) extra of what you are getting now (this is from my limitted experience and limited number of jumps)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is interesting discussion.

I think salary does not always depend on number of years of experience.

There are many factors which decides the salary.

1) Current salary.
2) Current role.
3) Role for which you are selected.
4) How perfectly your past/current experience is matching with new role.
5) Your current company ( tier1 / tier2 ) and company to which you are shifting. One HR told me this if you are shifting from tier1 company to smaller company, you can expect good hike.
6) Kind of company ( product or service )
7) Technologies for which you are selected ( people are easily available or it is a rare skill).

Generally I think it should be between 15 to 20 LPA for server side J2EE person with 10 years experience. It can be more or less depending on the factors I mentioned above.
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

I know a Guy of around 10 years who works as a Architect/PM (I see lot or raised eye brows here but its true) in one of the leading MLC in India but has a pay of around 10L



I would say he is underpaid. At least that is the opinion I have when I see things from my perspective. The same goes for the salary range. It depends on what you bring to the company but this range seems fair to me.
 
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher
Posts: 425
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:
I would say he is underpaid. At least that is the opinion I have when I see things from my perspective. The same goes for the salary range. It depends on what you bring to the company but this range seems fair to me.



+1
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes! 10 L is grossly underpaid. Even people with 4-5 5 years of experience are getting 8-9 LPA easily in Pune, India. In fact more than that in many case.

I understand variations depending on skillset, exposure, company profile and all that, but I was trying to get an idea about range. And I have a fair idea now I would say. Thanks!
 
Srikanth Basa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 241
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Collin Dugas wrote:I think the amount quoted is unrealistic and is not going to happen. I request people to refrain from posting such information if they do not have their facts and data correct. Please post if you have an answer to his question. If you want to make fun please use meaningless drivel.



Your reaction is quite natural here. Neither I'm joking nor I'm embarking myself on a meaningless drive. To add further, I have completely accurate data
Its hard to digest, what I stated is fact and there *are* a very few companies which pay such salaries - you can count them on fingers.
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Its hard to digest, what I stated is fact and there *are* a very few companies which pay such salaries - you can count them on fingers.



Unless you are working as a senior technology scientist I do not see how this salary is possible. Good technical architects themselves do not draw such money. Are you aware of a position that offers this ? What are the skills required ? You do not have to mention the company name of course
 
Srikanth Basa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 241
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:Good technical architects themselves do not draw such money.


Yes. Most of the architects draw what was quoted by others in this thread.

Deepak Bala wrote:Good technical architects themselves do not draw such money. Are you aware of a position that offers this ? What are the skills required ? You do not have to mention the company name of course


In brief - An Enterprise Architect - will have to play the key role in the architecture of a new product. Must be a guru in architecture & the latest J2EE technology stack.
 
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srikanth Basavaraju wrote:
Its hard to digest, what I stated is fact and there *are* a very few companies which pay such salaries - you can count them on fingers.



I do not have hard data to back it, but I have heard about it from very senior person saying what Srikanth said. But it is not for 10 years experience Architect, it is for very senior Architect. For 10 years experience Architect, this salary even I would be surprised.

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sometime back I got an email for Requirements At Mumbai stating following:

SSE ( 8 LAKS ) / Exp: 4-8 yrs
J2EE Tech Lead ( 11 to 12 laks ) / 6 to 11 yrs
Architect ( 15 to 18 laks ) / 8+ YRS
 
Collin Dugas
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ashu Upadhyaya wrote:Sometime back I got an email for Requirements At Mumbai stating following:

SSE ( 8 LAKS ) / Exp: 4-8 yrs
J2EE Tech Lead ( 11 to 12 laks ) / 6 to 11 yrs
Architect ( 15 to 18 laks ) / 8+ YRS



Find this a bit on the higher side, but i atleast believe this is possible.

Working on peanuts compared to this. I guess the tier I companies only have brand names, but not the salaries to go with it
 
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Collin Dugas wrote:

Ashu Upadhyaya wrote:Sometime back I got an email for Requirements At Mumbai stating following:

SSE ( 8 LAKS ) / Exp: 4-8 yrs
J2EE Tech Lead ( 11 to 12 laks ) / 6 to 11 yrs
Architect ( 15 to 18 laks ) / 8+ YRS



Find this a bit on the higher side, but i atleast believe this is possible.




Don't judge by experience and package, judge by experience + JD and package.

Well that requirement was for one service company who is not a paymaster.
 
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Why I said experience + Job Description is because in most of the requirements, they list 8 to 10 different things in Job description for 8 years experience. Mostly we do not work something new every year or 6 months. So obviously to have all those 8 to 10 different skills, experience has to go above 8 years. ( it is like hidden cost, hidden experience. HR tricks try to hire 12 year experience at cost of 8 / 9 years)
 
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If 4700000 INR equals 100,000 USD, then yes this is what a Sr. J2EE consultant with 10 years experience should expect at minimum.
 
Collin Dugas
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

James Clarks wrote:If 4700000 INR equals 100,000 USD, then yes this is what a Sr. J2EE consultant with 10 years experience should expect at minimum.



Converting from one currency to another is not the way salaries are calculated. And in that case, the Indian IT industry would collapse.
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

James Clarks wrote:If 4700000 INR equals 100,000 USD, then yes this is what a Sr. J2EE consultant with 10 years experience should expect at minimum.



I wish this were the case. My salary would be several several fold

Because of regional pricing and differences in cost of living the direct conversion would not be valid. India's main competence in IT is currently the servicing industry. It is this cost margin that allows India to be competitive, if that word can even be used.

As for the salary, I agree that at a bare minimum a JEE Consultant should earn 100k dollars with ten years of experience in the US. I know an architect that earns more than 100k with 6 years of experience, who happens to work in the US.

[EDIT]

Corrected a typo
 
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2596
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, it's a different case in US obviously due to PPP (Purchasing Power Parity). A friend who left for US 7 years ago is earning close to 150K USD with same experience that i have. He's a manager for last couple of years though.

I think the range that was give (16 LPA to 24 LPA) seems like a norm here. It is possible to get 40L to 50 L maybe, but that's probably for exceptionally niche skillset/background.

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

I guess the tier I companies only have brand names



Exactly....Its just that brand name .... The salary is nuts !!!
 
You showed up just in time for the waffles! And this tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic