This week's book giveaways are in the Angular and TypeScript and Web Services forums.
We're giving away four copies each of Programming with Types and The Design of Web APIs and have the authors on-line!
See this thread and this one for details.
Win a copy of Programming with Types this week in the Angular and TypeScript forum
or The Design of Web APIs in the Web Services forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Sheriffs:
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Knute Snortum
  • Henry Wong
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Joe Ess
  • salvin francis

Why do you want to become software engineer?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Q. Why do you want to become software engineer?

My answer is because I love working and making applications, writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....

What will be your answer???
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 44
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My answer: Because books on computers and programming are easy to read.

I did my under graduation in Electronics and Communications, and at the end of 4 years, I ended up learning more about computers and programming than about circuits, transistors, signal processing and communication theory. I wish that somebody would write some "Head First" books for non computer science related subjects. The existing textbooks, IMO, cause a lot of brain damage.
 
Marshal
Posts: 67336
171
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Because of the groupies, man!
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Anil K Chandra wrote:My answer: Because books on computers and programming are easy to read.

I did my under graduation in Electronics and Communications, and at the end of 4 years, I ended up learning more about computers and programming than about circuits, transistors, signal processing and communication theory. I wish that somebody would write some "Head First" books for non computer science related subjects. The existing textbooks, IMO, cause a lot of brain damage.



I am also on the same boat. I remember those college days when my friends use to come to my home and after watching my books self they use to ask me that why do you have more computer related books?? I answered them simply because I like reading them and now after 2 years I am towards my journey.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5575
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Q. Why do you want to become software engineer?
My answer is because I love working and making applications, writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....


Well, then i have lot of things[writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....] need to be done . but i can pay you Rs INR 500/month . can you join to our team?

Frankly , initialy i thought software as good field to make money, so i joined. but now i habituated ...
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

seetharaman venkatasamy wrote:

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Q. Why do you want to become software engineer?
My answer is because I love working and making applications, writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....


Well, then i have lot of things[writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....] need to be done . but i can pay you Rs INR 500/month . can you join to our team?

Frankly , initialy i thought software as good field to make money, so i joined. but now i habituated ...



If you are in this field only because of money then why only IT??? why not management, finance or marketing??? I know hundreds of people getting fat pay checks. Life of a Software Developer is much harder and relatively I will say that we are paid less.

About your offer I can consider but right now I have even better offers which gives me satisfaction of work and pay. I am not the person who is only after money. Satisfaction and my interest matters to me a lot.
 
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5575
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Satisfaction and my interest matters to me a lot.



Okay True. Good
 
Rancher
Posts: 4686
7
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

seetharaman venkatasamy wrote:Frankly , initialy i thought software as good field to make money


As with many engineering fields, the entry salaries are fairly nice. But very few engineers (in any field) make a lot of money. Its the marketing, sales, or management folks who make the big bucks.
 
Rancher
Posts: 1369
1
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bear Bibeault wrote:Because of the groupies, man!


I am still waiting for what seemed a promise once!

Strangely, when I read the title of this post I misread it as: Why would you not want to become a Software engineer?
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 54
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Life of a Software Developer is much harder and relatively I will say that we are paid less.


very true
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10192
3
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Q. Why do you want to become software engineer?

My answer is because I love working and making applications, writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....

What will be your answer???



One thing for sure is that is where most of the opportunities are. I know many people who initially took this filed for money and for opportunities and later as and when they started gaining experience, they saw satisfaction in what they did. You should have asked yourself this question when you started your career. Ofcourse you now will have many reasons like love...writing code...debugging and so on....
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:

Himanshu Gupta wrote:Q. Why do you want to become software engineer?

My answer is because I love working and making applications, writing code, debugging it.. and seeing it in action....

What will be your answer???



One thing for sure is that is where most of the opportunities are. I know many people who initially took this filed for money and for opportunities and later as and when they started gaining experience, they saw satisfaction in what they did. You should have asked yourself this question when you started your career. Ofcourse you now will have many reasons like love...writing code...debugging and so on....



Our Graduation degree gives us a lot of exposure to find out what we enjoy doing and what profession to take as our career.. But for some immature lads it is still a mind boggling question
 
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10192
3
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:
Our Graduation degree gives us a lot of exposure to find out what we enjoy doing and what profession to take as our career.. But for some immature lads it is still a mind boggling question



And you are there. Now I understand the reason why you posted this question
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 317
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My father wants to become a SW Engineer, he could not. and he asked me to become a SW Engineer...

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 129
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A. Because no company from Electrical Engg field wanted me.
B. IT promised easy life style, good money with minimum hardwork/effort. At least thats how it appeared from out side. Now i am used to of whatever it has offered.
 
Bartender
Posts: 1046
19
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Money!
 
Trailboss
Posts: 23072
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I was eleven years old.

I was standing in a cattle chute. My job was to persuade the cow in front of me to move forward where it would get shots and any other doctoring it might need. This was about cow #60 for the day. It was hot out but I was wearing long sleeve coveralls.

I was covered in shit. Possibly the only part of my that had no shit was the back of my head - but I never checked.

Cows like open pasture. They did the chute thing once a year and they did not like it. Being in the chute made them nervous. When nervous, they tended to get projectile diarrhea. Especially just before the part where they could stand and watch their buddy get shots, or maybe dehorned. And I was standing behind them at their most nervous spot.

About fifteen feet away was a big garbage can full of ice and sweet pepsi cola in glass bottles. At the age of 11 I rarely got to indulge in soda pop. So this was really difficult. During the spring roundup we were allowed to have all of the pop we wanted. But .... there was cow shit on my lips and all over my face. Since my hands were also covered in shit, I couldn't wipe the shit off of my face.

I had to wait until we were done and hope that there would still be some sweet pepsi cola.

So ... there was this moment ... where the cow in front of me seemed a bit calmer ... I let my mind drift .... I thought about how somewhere .... at that same moment ... there was a guy getting paid to sit on his butt in an air conditioned office, complete with the option of drinking sweet pepsi cola from a glass bottle. And then I thought: how does one get a job like that?

This is a 100% true story.

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 710
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:I was eleven years old.

I was standing in a cattle chute. My job was to persuade the cow in front of me to move forward where it would get shots and any other doctoring it might need. This was about cow #60 for the day. It was hot out but I was wearing long sleeve coveralls.

I was covered in shit. Possibly the only part of my that had no shit was the back of my head - but I never checked.

Cows like open pasture. They did the chute thing once a year and they did not like it. Being in the chute made them nervous. When nervous, they tended to get projectile diarrhea. Especially just before the part where they could stand and watch their buddy get shots, or maybe dehorned. And I was standing behind them at their most nervous spot.

About fifteen feet away was a big garbage can full of ice and sweet pepsi cola in glass bottles. At the age of 11 I rarely got to indulge in soda pop. So this was really difficult. During the spring roundup we were allowed to have all of the pop we wanted. But .... there was cow shit on my lips and all over my face. Since my hands were also covered in shit, I couldn't wipe the shit off of my face.

I had to wait until we were done and hope that there would still be some sweet pepsi cola.

So ... there was this moment ... where the cow in front of me seemed a bit calmer ... I let my mind drift .... I thought about how somewhere .... at that same moment ... there was a guy getting paid to sit on his butt in an air conditioned office, complete with the option of drinking sweet pepsi cola from a glass bottle. And then I thought: how does one get a job like that?

This is a 100% true story.



While not THAT dramatic, I spent a summer working in a window factory. I had to place locks on window frames for 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. While standing in the 110 degree F factory, where I was required to wear long sleeves and pants due to the glass, I thought to myself "Gee, I'm pretty savvy with those computers. And they require AC....."

Here I am!
 
Sheriff
Posts: 9643
42
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The question is "why do we want to become software engineer", but aren't we already software engineers ??
 
Hug your destiny! And hug this tiny ad:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!