Forums Register Login

Thread: wait() and notify()

+Pie Number of slices to send: Send
I am studying Thread but I don't fully understand yet. I got NullPointerException from the program below.
Please shed a light.

// Below is the program I ran.

}
operator is still null because you never give it a value.

Rob Prime wrote:operator is still null because you never give it a value.

It probably is a dumb question.
I add a line: Operator operator = new Operator() but it waits forever, never come back.

Well, that's because of the "while (true)". That means never stop. However, even if that loop would end the thread would not. That's because there will never be a notify(All) on that very same Operator instance.

Try the following:
This will print "Waiting", then waits 5 seconds, then will alternatively print out "No more" and "Waiting" until you press CTRL+Z to terminate the JVM.

Rob Prime wrote:Well, that's because of the "while (true)". That means never stop. However, even if that loop would end the thread would not. That's because there will never be a notify(All) on that very same Operator instance.

Try the following:
This will print "Waiting", then waits 5 seconds, then will alternatively print out "No more" and "Waiting" until you press CTRL+Z to terminate the JVM.

Thank you very much !!!
Never trust an airline that limits their passengers to one carry on iguana. Put this tiny ad in your shoe:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com

This thread has been viewed 1504 times.