• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Ron McLeod
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Carey Brown
  • Tim Holloway
Bartenders:
  • Jj Roberts
  • Al Hobbs
  • Piet Souris

Post request doesnot support spanish characters in case of Weblogic + Solaris combination

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am passing a spanish character in post request.
The "file.encoding" of JVM is UTF-8.
I am also setting the encoding of request and response as UTF-8.

I am getting a junk character in place of accentuated character in the response.

Please help.
 
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is the response a web page ? Do you see the problem only with weblogic + solaris ? How are you confirming that the request header has the UTF-8 encoding type ?
 
safvan kothawala
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Deepak Bala wrote:Is the response a web page ? Do you see the problem only with weblogic + solaris ? How are you confirming that the request header has the UTF-8 encoding type ?



The response is a web page.

I have tested this with Jboss + Windows combination and it works fine.

I have set encoding of request and response objects in jsp. Following things i have done in jsp:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
response.setContentType("text/html; charset=utf-8");
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Use a debugging proxy and determine if the headers propagate to the JSP page correctly. Compare the headers in both cases and let us know the differences you see.

I use this proxy to analyze requests -> www.charlesproxy.com/
 
safvan kothawala
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Deepak,
I verified the request headers using the tool.

The only difference was in the Content-Type attribute.

Windows:
Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8

Solaris:
Content-Type: text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1

I have set the charset as "UTF-8" in jsp even though it is giving me "ISO-8859-1"

 
safvan kothawala
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It worked !!!

I have to give the following snippet on each jsp page.

<%@ page pageEncoding="UTF-8" %>
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Glad to hear that. As you had diagnosed with the tool, the character encoding was not set to UTF-8 when the page was displayed.
 
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic