I didnt pass with a great score ( 72%) , however I was very confident about EJB and JSF and I scored about 69% in those. I was least confident about legacy
connectivity and scored 100%.
It was a quite a jouney preparing for this exam. I was trying to read material all over the map which was waste of time and effort in the end
following material really helped :-
1. gof : every post I saw mentioned reading this book, so I bought this book and start reading and found it a very heavy read and dropped it after third chapter, it may be a great book but in my opinion it expressed things in the most complicated way.
I know its hard to believe that I didnt read this book
2. Head first design patter: I just loved this book, it was very conceptual and important aspects of the pattern were repeated, and infact after reading this book I was very confident about design patters ( I had no previous experience about design patterns)
3. core J2ee patters : this is good book and read it twice and few questions came from this book
4. ejb3 in action : very good book will help you understand everything about ejb3
5. head first ejb ( for ejb2) : only read first few chapters to understand the previous version of ejb2.
6. core JSF : very good and easy read. I would suggest to read this book first before reading sun's Jee tuturial
7. Suns JEE tutrial : very important , dont need to go through the code etc, just need to get the concept.
7. Mark cade new book: most important chapter is architeture decomposition
8. Mark cade old book : read the chapters on security and protocols
9, Mock exams whilabs: these were good but as all say the actual questions were much difficult . But it will give you and idea and some practice. Infact in the real exam I ran out of time.
Congratulations raj sirohi !
can you share some materials like:
+ Mark cade new book
+ Mark cade old book
+ Mock exams whilabs
I would really need help for part 1 of scea.
SCJP 1.5, SCEA 5 in progress
posted 10 years ago
Following is my take on Cade's new and old book and mock exam.
Cade's old book: I only read chapters on security and protocols, they are explained very well and will helped me to understand the concepts.
Cades's new book: chapter about decomposition I read atleast 3 times, and other I read may be two times. I didnt read chapter on patterns or uml( as uml is not in part 1)
Whizlabs: I liked them because it gave me pretty good idea about the exam , and also helped me in understanding security and legacy connectivity, corba, idl etc. I could finish the mock exams less then half the time what was allotted and scored average of 80%, however real exam I ran out of time, infact I had 20 questions left and had only 21 minutes.
I would also suggest reading chapter on securtity from MZ guide.
I wonder how many hours/day or how many hours total you spent on preparation. I just started to work on this certification, so it would be helpful if I can estimate the effort.
posted 10 years ago
Initially I wasted lot of time reading stuff which in my mind was waste of time such as scea guide from Paul Allen and Joseph Bambara ( it was just a waste of time) read few chapters then dropped the book. Dont waste your time on it. Also started reading GOF but was heavy reading so dropped it. So I would say real preparation time was me preparing the material I listed in my post and it was about 3- months with 2-3 hours a day and five days a week.
congrads, and thanks a lot
Your post is really very helpful for us
posted 10 years ago
Please feel free to ask any specific questions . I know when I was preparing for scea part -1 , I had so many questions so was spending lot of time searching for answers to my questions. I made a point that time that once I clear i will put all the information so that noone else spends time searching information instead spends time on preparing.
As we speak I am preparing for part -2 and be assured that I will post every detail information required to part -2.
raj sirohi wrote:As we speak I am preparing for part -2 and be assured that I will post every detail information required to part -2.
I assume you mean that you will post anything that you are able to without breaking copyright.
It is worth remembering that the copyright restrictions on SCEA are more restrictive than any other Sun exam, which is why we have posted our Position on real assignment (Part 2) questions. Breaking copyright can result in your certification not being awarded / having your certification revoked / being blocked from taking any other exam in the certification alliance (from memory that includes Sun, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, and others) / getting sued. While I am not aware of anyone getting sued over this yet I am aware of all the others happening.
What I meant is that I will post the information regarding books , mock exams etc which helped me in clearing the part 2. If you see my previous post I have posted the information abouts books/ mock exam / guides which helped me in clearing scea-part 1.
I will appreciate if you let me know that by posting this kind of information is by any means violating anyhing think. I think it will help and other ranchers in understanding what is legal to post .
Iam planning to take part2.I completed part1 recently.Please tell me how shall i go about preparing this.
posted 10 years ago
I am not sure if should suggest anything for part -2, because I have not yet completed scea.
Before I share what materials I am using for scea part 2, I must admit that I have very little experience with UML , so my
preparation as of now is on learning uml and getting a good grasp on it.
After doing research I found following books recomended for UML for scea part 2.:-
1. uml user guide by grady booch: first I read this book it gave me very good understanding of UML, I learnt about all the diagrams etc but
didnt get a solid grasp of putting uml into application
2. uml distilled third edition: Read this one, this is excellent book, My suggestion would be read this one.
3. Java modeling color with uml: Started reading this, dropped after few chapters. I didnt like it it was all over the map.
4. designing enterprise applications with j2ee platform: This is another book suggested for part -2, I have read half of it, it is a very light read. I think this book is important because it keeps me in focus and in touch with all the preparation i did for scea part -1, which is required for part-2
5. use case driven object modeling with uml : I have read more then half of this book, for me this book is very good becuase it is putting all the pieces together. it is also anwering all the questions about how , why and what. Moreover I am able to put everything in perspective.
So the bottom line is , if you are comfortable with uml just read UML distilled.