Win a copy of Programmer's Guide to Java SE 8 Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) this week in the OCAJP forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Eclipse

 
Ty Karl
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am wanting to know how to Build a GUI without litrally dragging and dropping components onto a Frame.

I work with Developers but dont actually develop and have started with Java rather than C , but In C (which is what my colleages use), I noticed the Developers have a XAML page that they work with to create their "screens and components etc" and then they have code Behind to that XAML sheet that contains the actual code.I have been told that this type of approach is "cleaner" as there isnt any arbitryly generated code created.

How do I create a seperate 'style' sheet and a seperate class file that interact in eclipse?

Many Thanks
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20606
60
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ty Karl wrote:I am wanting to know how to Build a GUI without litrally dragging and dropping components onto a Frame.

Try the Swing tutorial.

Also, please UseAMeaningfulSubjectLine.
 
Brad Dwan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 62
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 49751
69
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Avoid IDEs like the plague. Learn to code GUIs by hand.

And I think this thread would sit better on the GUIs forum, despite its inaccurate title.
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20606
60
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brad Dwan wrote:Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.

And that's what Ty specifically did not want.
 
Brad Dwan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 62
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rob Prime wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.

And that's what Ty specifically did not want.


eh
 
pete stein
Bartender
Posts: 1561
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brad Dwan wrote:
Rob Prime wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.

And that's what Ty specifically did not want.


eh


Read the original post, perhaps.
 
Brad Dwan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 62
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
pete stein wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:
Rob Prime wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.

And that's what Ty specifically did not want.


eh


Read the original post, perhaps.


Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Lets see how the cards fall. Unlike most, I'm not perfect in everything I do. FYI it was late when I posted that and just got back from the club. So really, "read the original post, perhaps" and the insinuations that accompany it, doesn't do anything for my hangover. So forgive my ignorance when I say I don't care and that I miss read the OP. Its that simple.
 
pete stein
Bartender
Posts: 1561
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brad Dwan wrote:
pete stein wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:
Rob Prime wrote:
Brad Dwan wrote:Get netbeans. Its got a swing GUI designer.

And that's what Ty specifically did not want.


eh


Read the original post, perhaps.


Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Lets see how the cards fall. Unlike most, I'm not perfect in everything I do. FYI it was late when I posted that and just got back from the club. So really, "read the original post, perhaps" and the insinuations that accompany it, doesn't do anything for my hangover. So forgive my ignorance when I say I don't care and that I miss read the OP. Its that simple.


Then why ask for clarification with the "eh"? Ah, but I forgot, you don't care, so never mind. Best of luck my friend.
 
Brad Dwan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 62
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Was not meant to be a question, it was slag for "meh". Doesn't matter.
 
Ty Karl
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Rob, Pete, Campbell and Brad,

I got my first little app going and yes I will be more specific as to what my subject says and to what forum to put it in.

Thanks again guys.

ps:Brad, a beer in the morning always cures a hangover
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic