• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Changing Xms and XmX Parameters in tomcat.

 
Nitin Menon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 87
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Can anyone please educate me on the below issue :

I run my application application on tomcat 5.5 with jre 1.5. It runs on a Redhat linux server machine. I use eclipse 3.3 to develop the application. Recently, there has been a requirement to make changes on the Xms and XmX parameters as we have been developing some file reading functionalities and we've been having some errors about memory issues. The problem got solved after getting done the above task on my developer client machine. The changes are to be made on the Server machine too.
On the server machine, I deploy the application by putting the WAR file in the Webapps folder. I have never tried the Xms, XmX configuration on linux. (As a matter of fact, I have done it on my client developer machine).
What I would like to know is, if i make changes on the Tomcat to alter the above parameters, will it in any way effect other applications using the system's JRE but, running on other web servers?
I believe the changes are supposed to be made to the catalina.sh or some other file in Tomcat_home and not to any other installed java files.
Can anyone please share more knowledge on all of the above matters?

Thanks in advance..! ''
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42968
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, catalina.sh is the place to make this kind of change. And no, this won't effect any other Java processes - just the Tomcat process.
 
Nitin Menon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 87
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:Yes, catalina.sh is the place to make this kind of change. And no, this won't effect any other Java processes - just the Tomcat process.


Thank you very much. Can you give me some tips doing the same on linux. that is, The points to noted while doing it.
 
Rene Larsen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1179
Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nitin Menon wrote:
Ulf Dittmer wrote:Yes, catalina.sh is the place to make this kind of change. And no, this won't effect any other Java processes - just the Tomcat process.


Thank you very much. Can you give me some tips doing the same on linux. that is, The points to noted while doing it.


On windows it would be in catalina.bat - and on Linux/Unix/Mac it would be in catalina.sh
 
Nitin Menon
Ranch Hand
Posts: 87
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My Server system has 3 GB of Ram which runs on Redhat. The XmX is already set as 512 mb. i need to increase it. So, how is the XmX and Xms ratio to be set for a stable and optimum performance.
 
Misha Ver
Ranch Hand
Posts: 470
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nitin Menon wrote:My Server system has 3 GB of Ram which runs on Redhat. The XmX is already set as 512 mb. i need to increase it. So, how is the XmX and Xms ratio to be set for a stable and optimum performance.


The answer is "it depends". Google for something like "JVM tuning" for you particular JVM.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic