Win a copy of Murach's Python Programming this week in the Jython/Python forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Web service does not respond if processing took longer than 10 sec.  RSS feed

 
Tamara Blaisdell
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have a very simple web service which is not doing anything but receives a numeric value and interprets it number of seconds to sleep before responding with "OK, I'm done".
If the nap time is set to be longer than 10 seconds, client never receives any response.
I tested it on Tomcat (5.5 and 6) with Axis2 (1.4 and 1.5) and WAS 6.1 with FP (JAX-WS).
I tested both sync and async type of clients.
Anyway, it seems that regardless environment and platform, the result is always the same:
If web service is to take longer than 10 seconds to respond, client never receives the response. However as long as the response is generated within 10 sec everything works great.

Any ideas?
I sure need help...
thnx
 
kri shan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1487
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Which sync and async type of clients you used for testing ? (RawClient?)
 
Tamara Blaisdell
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for your attention. Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "kind" of client, or "raw client" ...
Let's see: I created several clients:
1. using wsdl2java to generate stub with sync only (-s),
2. using wsdl2java to generate stub with async only (-a option),
3. using WDSc (IBM WebSphere IDE) web service wizard to generate web based (container managed) client for both sync and async communication,
4. using WDSc (IBM WebSphere IDE) to generate stub for unmanaged client for both sync and async communication.

All clients behavior is very consistent.

One more thing worth mentioning - I have both client and server on the same machine, using "localhost" for endpoint setup.
 
Tamara Blaisdell
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think I figured out what the general reason of the problem is.
While testing, every request I ran through Eclipse's TCP/IP monitor and I found out that the monitor was the main obstacle.
If I ran my request directly to the server, not via the monitor, everything worked fine.

Originally the monitor's time-out was set to zero - I assumed zero = never time-out. Since that did not work I tried to configure time-out to 15 sec. - unfortunately seems like either the time-out is not the root cause of my problem, or for some reason TCP/IP monitor time-out is being ignored.
Wonder if anybody has any comments/suggestions why.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!