Win a copy of Functional Reactive Programming this week in the Other Languages forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Exam passed - 88%, some points

 
Nidhi Sar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 252
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Passed it yesterday - 88%.

Thanks to Bear, Frits, Pedro, Christophe... and other ranchers for your patience & generosity in sharing your knowledge with others. Javaranch site is a pretty valuable community!

A couple of points:
The exam was tougher than I had expected. There were a couple of things that I hadn't even seen before... though I read HFSJ twice and did many mock exams here (Marcus Green's, Niko's). Perhaps some other commercial exams, not just the free ones would help. Also HFSJ covers most but not all of the material. So if you're aiming for the high scores, perhaps some additional reference would help.

Also, there was one question where the answer purely depended on the knowledge of HTML. So yes, you DO need to know HTML (basic stuff, not too fancy).

Good Luck to the other exam takers...
 
Mohamed Sanaulla
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 3159
33
Google App Engine Java Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the information.
 
Frits Walraven
Creator of Enthuware JWS+ V6
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 2445
96
Android Chrome Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations Nidhi !!!


What is next?

Regards,
Frits
 
Piotr Nowicki
Ranch Hand
Posts: 611
1
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations mate! :-)
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3776
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations!!
 
Nidhi Sar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 252
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks everyone!
Frits Walraven wrote:
What is next?

Regards,
Frits


I think back to Android programming for now. No certifications for a while
 
Javin Paul
Ranch Hand
Posts: 295
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations Nidhi , 88% is good score , so what next ? SCBCD or SCEA ?
 
Javin Paul
Ranch Hand
Posts: 295
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Javin Paul wrote:Congratulations Nidhi , 88% is good score , so what next ? SCBCD or SCEA ?


just saw you are interested in Android programming now
 
Shobhan Ganta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations Nidhi..I guess 88% is a very good score

Regards
Shobhan
 
Nidhi Sar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 252
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Javin, Shobhan, for your kind words. I had hoped (ever optimistic!) of a better score. But I guess it really doesn't matter. Anyways I don't put scores in the resume, just the certifications. I guess JavaRanch signature is the only place I'd even mention my scores

 
Sudheer Maddukuri
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations Nidhi! :-)

Can you please drop information about where exactly the vouchers are being sold ?

 
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 3918
10
Chrome Fedora Hibernate
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations on passing the exam

Nidhi Sar wrote:... Also HFSJ covers most but not all of the material.

Although it covers all the theoretical aspects of the exam it's up to the exam candidate to do his/her own homework, more you code more easier the exam
 
narendra bhattacharya
Ranch Hand
Posts: 66
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats Niidhi...... Which other material you suggest to prepare.......??
 
Nidhi Sar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 252
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Vijitha Kumara wrote:Although it covers all the theoretical aspects of the exam it's up to the exam candidate to do his/her own homework, more you code more easier the exam


Thanks for your response. You are absolutely right, the coding makes a big difference. HFSJ is a great book (an easy read) and I really enjoyed reading it. There were just a couple of questions out of all 69, which had stuff that I hadn't seen before.

narendra bhattacharya wrote:Which other material you suggest to prepare.......??


Narendra, I think the SCWCD Links has a lot of good suggestions. Also, the specifications are very useful as a reference.

Sudheer Maddukuri wrote:Can you please drop information about where exactly the vouchers are being sold ?


Sudheer, I bought my voucher from the Oracle site. Surely, you can buy the voucher from wherever you bought the SCJP voucher?

 
Simran Dass
Ranch Hand
Posts: 183
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator


Congrats Nidhi !!
 
Mohamed El-Feky
Greenhorn
Posts: 19
Eclipse IDE Java Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratz
thanks for Info
 
Ashutosh M Kulkarni
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations, Nidhi...!

Nidhi wrote: Surely, you can buy the voucher from wherever you bought the SCJP voucher?

LOL
 
Habeeb Shaikh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 48
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrates nidhi,
I think you score is very good.
I also want to give this certification. Let me know what will be first step.how much time to be spend and how to study.I am doing job so how could i manage time for study. i have to concentrate on theory or practical more.
 
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 3918
10
Chrome Fedora Hibernate
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Habeeb Shaikh wrote:... i have to concentrate on theory or practical more...

To understand the theory you need to do more practice.
..how much time to be spend and how to study...

Generally you have to have a good practice in developing web applications (mostly based on the theoretical aspects covered in the exam) to pass the exam. You can get there by following a good study guide (or if you can manage by using the related specifications and online tutorials etc...) like HFSJ. Check some important links related to the exam here.

And please post your exam related questions in our SCWCD forum.
 
Youcef Saidani
Ranch Hand
Posts: 33
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations!!!
 
Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1376
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
congrats
 
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10124
3
Eclipse IDE Mac PPC Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats!
 
Arvind Gangwar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 37
MyEclipse IDE Oracle Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulation to You Nidhi for such a great score....Please Help me to give some suggestion about preparation of SCWCD exam...as I m starting preparation for that...which study material I should need.... as currently I have HFSJ.....whats more i need.....




Nidhi Sar wrote:Passed it yesterday - 88%.

Thanks to Bear, Frits, Pedro, Christophe... and other ranchers for your patience & generosity in sharing your knowledge with others. Javaranch site is a pretty valuable community!

A couple of points:
The exam was tougher than I had expected. There were a couple of things that I hadn't even seen before... though I read HFSJ twice and did many mock exams here (Marcus Green's, Niko's). Perhaps some other commercial exams, not just the free ones would help. Also HFSJ covers most but not all of the material. So if you're aiming for the high scores, perhaps some additional reference would help.

Also, there was one question where the answer purely depended on the knowledge of HTML. So yes, you DO need to know HTML (basic stuff, not too fancy).

Good Luck to the other exam takers...
 
Matthew Raw
Ranch Hand
Posts: 76
IntelliJ IDE Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations!
 
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Pie
Posts: 3918
10
Chrome Fedora Hibernate
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Arvind Kumar Gangwar wrote:....Please Help me to give some suggestion about preparation of SCWCD exam...as I m starting preparation for that...which study material I should need.... as currently I have HFSJ.....whats more i need.....

You may need to refer the relevant versions of Specs (Servlet. JSP, JSTL) for your exam. And more practice is surely more important. Check the SCWCD Links for more information...
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic