• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

jvm crash

 
nikil shar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 116
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
ok i must have done something horribly wrong since the jvm crashed. belows is my code, i am trying to run 2 threads to select from oracle databases and update table column to flag a success after the select is complete






and the error report i got is






the error doesnt point to any line in the code so am not sure what is causing the issue. there is a lot of data being returned from the database (approx 1million rows) but i dont see any memory issues since the error report shows there is enough memory available.

i dont think its the code since the same code used to work before.

can someone suggest what the issue could be ??
 
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 24212
35
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, it's not your code. Whenever the JVM crashes, it's the fault of the JVM or some native code that's being linked in; by definition Java code can't make the JVM crash.

I can see from the below that you're running 1.6.0p7; the current version is 1.6.0p23 (or 24?) The first thing I'd try is simply to bring your JVM up to date; the bug that causes the crash is likely to have been fixed in a later revision.
 
nikil shar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 116
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:No, it's not your code. Whenever the JVM crashes, it's the fault of the JVM or some native code that's being linked in; by definition Java code can't make the JVM crash.

I can see from the below that you're running 1.6.0p7; the current version is 1.6.0p23 (or 24?) The first thing I'd try is simply to bring your JVM up to date; the bug that causes the crash is likely to have been fixed in a later revision.


thanks for the reply. is there a way to confirm by looking at the error message that an upgrade would fix this issue ?? I will need a good case before anyone would let me upgrade the jvm.

thanks again.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21420
84
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

And since this has little to do with "threads and synchronization", moving this to java in general.

Henry
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21420
84
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
nikil shar wrote:
thanks for the reply. is there a way to confirm by looking at the error message that an upgrade would fix this issue ?? I will need a good case before anyone would let me upgrade the jvm.


How about just upgrading the test environment? Or just one of the test machines? If it works, you will have a good case to upgrade it in QA, and then (after testing) in production.

Henry
 
nikil shar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 116
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Henry Wong wrote:
nikil shar wrote:
thanks for the reply. is there a way to confirm by looking at the error message that an upgrade would fix this issue ?? I will need a good case before anyone would let me upgrade the jvm.


How about just upgrading the test environment? Or just one of the test machines? If it works, you will have a good case to upgrade it in QA, and then (after testing) in production.

Henry



thanks for the reply. This crashing issue is very random. We have a totally seperate environment with the same jvm and the same code and i havent seen it crash in that environment . my problem is that i dont know how to interpret the error message thrown by the jvm crash. any clues as to how to go about interpreting the long error message ??

and thanks for moving this thread to an appropriate forum.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21420
84
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
nikil shar wrote:
thanks for the reply. This crashing issue is very random. We have a totally seperate environment with the same jvm and the same code and i havent seen it crash in that environment . my problem is that i dont know how to interpret the error message thrown by the jvm crash. any clues as to how to go about interpreting the long error message ??


Well, without source code, you can only do so much. From the dump, it's a segmentation violation (accessing memory that doesn't exist -- or without the correct permissions). The operation was a memcpy (memory copy) and it was part of the libc_psr library. All the other information are used to isolate the code, and the state at the time that it happened.

With the source code, a JVM engineer at Sun/Oracle can use this output hunt down the issue (having the JVM dump core would be even better).

Henry
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic