Win a copy of Functional Reactive Programming this week in the Other Languages forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

HTML entities and 6u24

 
Kacper Pudlik
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey folks,

We have a software (applets) that was working for some long time w/o any issues.
During last update from 22 to 24 something up and our pages start renders & as a & amp;

.....
as our development team used some hacks like .substring (position of &) a lot of our features went down...
What happend during that update that our browsers rendered it wrong?

What is our options beside:
downgrading to 22
fix code to read correctly & as a & amp; or &

which will involve less work ;-) Of course points me if i am wrong!!

we work on:
1.6_24
msie 6.0 / 8.0
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15494
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch.

Are you absolutely sure that this change in behaviour happened because of your update from Java SE 6 update 22 to update 24? Are you certain that it can't be because there was some change in your software or some change in the configuration somewhere? Is your start page a HTML page? Are you sure that there's not some error in the HTML?

It sounds very unlikely to me that an update of the Java version would cause a change like this.

Without knowing any details about your software it's very hard to give you a specific answer to this question.

Can you show a short piece of code that works correctly on u22 and fails on u24?
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42968
73
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'd advise to generalize the code so that it treats both & and & correctly. The more tolerant code is to variations in its input, the more robust it is: Robustness Principle.
 
Kacper Pudlik
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper,
Its very old application and it worked for every update w/o updating it's code. It throws a lot of exceptions from awt.focus to NPE in some various places. It will be a problem for us to fix that error by enhancing sources. As it worked for such a long time... we didn't change sources / configuration / physical setup ... we are quite sure it's between java and MSIE 8.0...

Jesper for me it was unbelievable too but it happend and I have to solve it :-) Thank you for v welcome

Ulf, Yeah but i have no possibility to view /change the code of application.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15494
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In your first post you mentioned that one of the option was to fix the code, but now you say you don't have the possibility to change the code?

Then downgrading to u22 would still be an option. You could try that on one system and see if the problem goes away.
 
Kacper Pudlik
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@Jesper,

I'm not in a team of developer that's why I wrote to Ulf that i have no chance to work on code of application.
I have noticed the issue with encoding & into & amp; by firebug (which is extension for firefox).

Right now we have change our code to be more sensitive to input - that's what i heard.

On other hand i'm pretty sure that there will be some more issues (other places in our internal software...) with it. That's why I'm looking for any catch that could help.

result: semi-resolved
We have refreshed our code to be more sensitive to input.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic