Win a copy of AWS Security this week in the Cloud/Virtualization forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Henry Wong
Sheriffs:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Tim Cooke
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • salvin francis
  • fred rosenberger

How to make profile for advanced

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi....


I did my Master's in computer application from india.. Now I am working with JAVA J2EE in BFSI domain and SCJP certified..... Here it very common people with this degree and technology. Can anyone here please suggest me how can I improve my profile (may be some short term course or certification) or some degree or course from other country.. Or some different part of technology which is not very common.. Which gives my resume weightage, which makes my career more strong and stable... and I have more opportunities open for me ... Or rare opportunities with rare people

Thanks
Kaustubh
 
author & internet detective
Posts: 40002
808
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What are you interested in. Something more specific like contributing to a specific open source project makes you rarer. It also decreases the odds that particular skill is needed for a job. So you differentiate yourself which is good. In exchange you make yourself less of a commodity and have to better target jobs.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Learn how to program with a dialect of COBOL. This is a very good skill to have as many COBOL programmers today are hitting their retirement age. Approximately 85% of all financial applications in the world are written in COBOL and they are not going anywhere. These programs are not going anywhere in your or my lifetime.
 
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jimmy Clark wrote:Learn how to program with a dialect of COBOL. This is a very good skill to have as many COBOL programmers today are hitting their retirement age. Approximately 85% of all financial applications in the world are written in COBOL and they are not going anywhere. These programs are not going anywhere in your or my lifetime.



Thanks Jimmy ... But how can I start from COBOL ?? I don't know anything about it.. ?
 
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sounds good. COBOL was originally a structured programming language but has been modernized with object-oriented features. Below are two resources to start with and good luck!

http://www.microfocus.com/

The Power of COBOL - for systems developers in the 21st centry
by Rui Bivar De Oliveria
ISBN 0-620-34652-3
714 pages
 
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks GUYS
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10192
3
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jimmy Clark wrote:Learn how to program with a dialect of COBOL. This is a very good skill to have as many COBOL programmers today are hitting their retirement age. Approximately 85% of all financial applications in the world are written in COBOL and they are not going anywhere. These programs are not going anywhere in your or my lifetime.



From where did you get this statistics (85%) ?
 
author
Posts: 23877
142
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jimmy Clark wrote:Learn how to program with a dialect of COBOL. This is a very good skill to have as many COBOL programmers today are hitting their retirement age. Approximately 85% of all financial applications in the world are written in COBOL and they are not going anywhere. These programs are not going anywhere in your or my lifetime.



I agree that there are still a ridiculous amount of COBOL/CICS/SQL code out there. And while a LOT of those applications have been black boxed -- via some sort of EAI engine. There is still a LOT of work to do bug fixes, or to do minor enhancements to make the applications live just a bit longer.

But.... keep in mind, that you will be paid a LOT of $$$ because it is a job that no one wants to do. It's pure maintanence of code that have been around for decades. The hours are great. The pay is great. but I imagine that it can also get boring.

Henry
 
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I manage a group of contractors and their compensation is pretty amazing... "boring" sounds like a dream job

Aside, programming is programming and I wouldn't say this COBOL programming is a job noboby wants. Very few are trained to do it that is all. Also, it is not all maintenance work, there is development for changes in logic and data structures. And a set of web services work surrounding the legacy code...it is not boring. Many groups have no plans to replace this code either.
 
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jimmy Clark wrote:I manage a group of contractors and their compensation is pretty amazing... "boring" sounds like a dream job

Aside, programming is programming and I wouldn't say this COBOL programming is a job noboby wants. Very few are trained to do it that is all. Also, it is not all maintenance work, there is development for changes in logic and data structures. And a set of web services work surrounding the legacy code...it is not boring. Many groups have no plans to replace this code either.



COBOL>>>GOOD OR BAD??
 
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kaustubh, you should really try to express yourself with complete sentences at all times. This practice will help you improve your abilities to communicate both in written form and verbally. And this will help you improve your "profile." If you do this all of the time, it will become second nature and improve over time. Writing cover letters, resumes, thank you letters, software documentation, Internet content, etc. provides you with opportunities to show your professionalism and attention to detail.

COBOL>>>GOOD OR BAD??



If you are asking about whether COBOL is good or bad, you need to specify a "context" for the question. Anything can be good and bad simultaneously. For example, I think Fried Chicken tastes "good" and also think it is "bad" for my health. There are two contexts here. One is how something tastes and the other is how something may effect a human's health.

University of Limerick, Department of CSIS, COBOL Tutorial
http://www.csis.ul.ie/COBOL/Course/COBOLIntro.htm
 
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1283
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jimmy Clark wrote:Kaustubh, you should really try to express yourself with complete sentences at all times. This practice will help you improve your abilities to communicate both in written form and verbally. And this will help you improve your "profile." If you do this all of the time, it will become second nature and improve over time. Writing cover letters, resumes, thank you letters, software documentation, Internet content, etc. provides you with opportunities to show your professionalism and attention to detail.

COBOL>>>GOOD OR BAD??



If you are asking about whether COBOL is good or bad, you need to specify a "context" for the question. Anything can be good and bad simultaneously. For example, I think Fried Chicken tastes "good" and also think it is "bad" for my health. There are two contexts here. One is how something tastes and the other is how something may effect a human's health.

University of Limerick, Department of CSIS, COBOL Tutorial
http://www.csis.ul.ie/COBOL/Course/COBOLIntro.htm



Sir Yes Sir
 
A berm makes a great wind break. And we all like to break wind once in a while. Like this tiny ad:
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic