Win a copy of Programmer's Guide to Java SE 8 Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) this week in the OCAJP forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Fedora 14 - JRE Runtime error

 
Alvaro Quintana
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Fedora Java Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, everyone, i would really appreciate if someone can give me an advice about this problem that is driving me crazy.

I’ve installed Fedora 14 (Laughlin), and successfully installed JDK, but sometimes (not always) when i execute Eclipse or Netbeans or Glassfish (or anything that uses JRE), a kill signal is send to the process because java runtime had an error (see error below).

Thanks in advance for the help,

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f602dca3761, pid=4054, tid=140051033437952
#
# JRE version: 6.0_25-b06
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.0-b11 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# V [libjvm.so+0x656761] PhaseLive::compute(unsigned)+0×241
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /opt/apache-tomcat/bin/hs_err_pid4054.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 15435
41
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Errors like that, where the JVM really crashes, are most likely bugs in the JVM, or in a library that the JVM uses. Your particular error message seems to point directly to some function in libjvm.so - that really looks like a bug in the JVM itself. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about this. You could try running a different update version. I see that you're now using Java 1.6.0 update 25 (the latest version). You could try getting an earlier version (update 20, 21, ...).

I'm using Java 1.6.0 update 25 (64-bit, like you) on Ubuntu 10.10 and haven't seen this problem yet.

It points you to a log file that could have more information on where it crashed exactly:
Alvaro Quintana wrote:# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /opt/apache-tomcat/bin/hs_err_pid4054.log
 
Alvaro Quintana
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Fedora Java Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper de Jong wrote:Errors like that, where the JVM really crashes, are most likely bugs in the JVM, or in a library that the JVM uses. Your particular error message seems to point directly to some function in libjvm.so - that really looks like a bug in the JVM itself. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about this. You could try running a different update version. I see that you're now using Java 1.6.0 update 25 (the latest version). You could try getting an earlier version (update 20, 21, ...).

I'm using Java 1.6.0 update 25 (64-bit, like you) on Ubuntu 10.10 and haven't seen this problem yet.

It points you to a log file that could have more information on where it crashed exactly:
Alvaro Quintana wrote:# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /opt/apache-tomcat/bin/hs_err_pid4054.log


Well, i've installed JDK update 24, but i still get the same error, could be this something associated to SELinux?
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 49733
69
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am running F14 and jdk1.6.0_25 and have never had that problem.
 
Alvaro Quintana
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Fedora Java Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:I am running F14 and jdk1.6.0_25 and have never had that problem.


Hi Campbell, could you please post the result of this command "uname -a". I would like to compare kernel versions.

Thanks,
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 49733
69
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
[campbell@campbell1110 ~]$ uname -a
Linux campbell1110 2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686 #1 SMP Fri Apr 22 16:14:44 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
 
Alvaro Quintana
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Fedora Java Netbeans IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:[campbell@campbell1110 ~]$ uname -a
Linux campbell1110 2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686 #1 SMP Fri Apr 22 16:14:44 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux


Well i see we have the same Fedora with the last kernel version, but it seems yours is a 32bits fedora and mine is 64bits. The problem is rising with a 64 bits JRE, i haven't test with 32 bits JRE because all software installed is 64 bits (eclipse, netbeans, glassfish, tomcat).

Below i show the result of execute on my machine:

 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 49733
69
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, I am on 32 bits. Didn't realise it was a 64 bit problem.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic