Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

SCEA Assigment generic questions and doubts

 
Saurabh Deshpande
Ranch Hand
Posts: 33
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys.

I am working on my SCEA Part 2 assignment and wanted to clarify few things to fine tune diagram and confirm my knowledge. So here is the list of queries.

1. I am using JSF for my assigment but not including any JSF, ManagedBean in Class Diagram or Sequence Diagram. I just showed a Controller (stated use of MVC in the notes) in the Class / Sequence diagram and have shown JSF in the Component Diagram in Presentation layer and Managed Beans in Business Layer. Let me know this is the correct approach.

2. In sequence diagram, lets say a Search jsp show (prepopulates) on load list of Movie Theatres from Controller (Managed Beans). The user selects a Movie Theatre and System display list of Movies playing at the theatre. Can I use the same Search jsp to display results or is it better to show list of theares as separate jsp and then again on selection of movie display time on another jsp?
My main question is since I am using JSF (Combo box) Component values are updated via interaction with Managed Beans (I wont show this in sequence diagram as per question#1), so this gives a clean design. But I am trying to over do things here?

3. I am very tempted to use the Composite Pattern in my Class Diagram as it suits very well. However refering to Chapter 9 class diagram. HS has shown Wood, Steel, Concrete (all materials) as separate entities. This was done as the Business Domain Diagram had each material separate and charactersistics separate for each material. My doubt is can I represent all my components as the Component (as per Design Pattern) as an Entity? I am having doubts since one of the component can be both a leaf and composite. I was just planning to just list in the notes what components are leaf and what components are composite.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
Regards,
SD.
 
Krzysztof Grajek
Ranch Hand
Posts: 53
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Saurabh

I have similar doubts Not sure if we have the same assignment .

1. I'm planning to put controller and jsp's on the class diagram (same as the Cade's book example)

2. Same here, I'm going into clean design

3. I have done my class diagram with Composite as it fits so nice I couldn't resist but I have same doubts as you

Regards
Kris
 
Krzysztof Koziol
Ranch Hand
Posts: 133
Eclipse IDE Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Krzysztof Grajek wrote:Hello Saurabh

1. I'm planning to put controller and jsp's on the class diagram (same as the Cade's book example)

Regards
Kris


Hi Krzysztof,

I'm not sure why do we have put controller on the class diagram. In case of JSF it's clear that the FacesServlet is the master controller and then we have ManagedBeans (Model) and Pages (View). I would rather put ManagedBeans together with views they are supporting.

Regards,
Krzysztof

 
Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender
Posts: 346
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1. I am using JSF for my assigment but not including any JSF, ManagedBean in Class Diagram or Sequence Diagram. I just showed a Controller (stated use of MVC in the notes) in the Class / Sequence diagram and have shown JSF in the Component Diagram in Presentation layer and Managed Beans in Business Layer. Let me know this is the correct approach.

I have put everything - JSPs, Managed Beans and Controllers in my class diagram and Sequence Diagram. Though it made the diagram bigger but i don't want to take any chances. Moreover it's for my own good also as i was having some gaps while my preparation-so this way it was easy for me to recall.

2. In sequence diagram, lets say a Search jsp show (prepopulates) on load list of Movie Theatres from Controller (Managed Beans). The user selects a Movie Theatre and System display list of Movies playing at the theatre. Can I use the same Search jsp to display results or is it better to show list of theares as separate jsp and then again on selection of movie display time on another jsp?
My main question is since I am using JSF (Combo box) Component values are updated via interaction with Managed Beans (I wont show this in sequence diagram as per question#1), so this gives a clean design. But I am trying to over do things here?

Follow Separation of concerns and modularity pricipal, put it in different JSPs.

3. I am very tempted to use the Composite Pattern in my Class Diagram as it suits very well. However refering to Chapter 9 class diagram. HS has shown Wood, Steel, Concrete (all materials) as separate entities. This was done as the Business Domain Diagram had each material separate and charactersistics separate for each material. My doubt is can I represent all my components as the Component (as per Design Pattern) as an Entity? I am having doubts since one of the component can be both a leaf and composite. I was just planning to just list in the notes what components are leaf and what components are composite.

I followed Cade and HS as much as possible.
 
Krzysztof Grajek
Ranch Hand
Posts: 53
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Krzysztof Koziol wrote:
Hi Krzysztof,

I'm not sure why do we have put controller on the class diagram. In case of JSF it's clear that the FacesServlet is the master controller and then we have ManagedBeans (Model) and Pages (View). I would rather put ManagedBeans together with views they are supporting.

Regards,
Krzysztof



Yeah, well it's kind of strange for me as well, but this approach works for many people (I mean following the Cade's example with controller on the class diagram). I know that its a FacesServlet in case of JSF, you know that, and probably many people knows it to, but it doesn't have to be a FacesServlet, can be Struts front controller or any other Controller from any MVC framework, this way you keep your class diagram more or less framework agnostic.
 
Krzysztof Koziol
Ranch Hand
Posts: 133
Eclipse IDE Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have put everything - JSPs, Managed Beans and Controllers in my class diagram and Sequence Diagram. Though it made the diagram bigger but i don't want to take any chances. Moreover it's for my own good also as i was having some gaps while my preparation-so this way it was easy for me to recall.

Did you have more than one controller when using JSF?
Sorry but it's not clear for me since JSF itself isn't action/controller-based framework and doesn't require to implement extra controllers.
 
Krzysztof Grajek
Ranch Hand
Posts: 53
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Krzysztof Koziol wrote:I have put everything - JSPs, Managed Beans and Controllers in my class diagram and Sequence Diagram. Though it made the diagram bigger but i don't want to take any chances. Moreover it's for my own good also as i was having some gaps while my preparation-so this way it was easy for me to recall.

Did you have more than one controller when using JSF?
Sorry but it's not clear for me since JSF itself isn't action/controller-based framework and doesn't require to implement extra controllers.


Well, it's not clear for me either, normally I wouldn't include any framework specific stuff on the class diagram (like jsp's, beans and controller) but I have found many posts where people actually do and they pass . I guess both approaches are ok, but I think that when talking about JSF we just have to include it in component diagram for sure. I guess if you put it in your class diagram then you would have to add it in your sequence diagrams too, I haven't started my sequence diagrams yet so I haven't made final decision about the JSF on the class diagram either .

Anyone passed/not passed and have an opinion?

Regards
Kris
 
Saurabh Deshpande
Ranch Hand
Posts: 33
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Krzysztof Grajek wrote:
Krzysztof Koziol wrote:I have put everything - JSPs, Managed Beans and Controllers in my class diagram and Sequence Diagram. Though it made the diagram bigger but i don't want to take any chances. Moreover it's for my own good also as i was having some gaps while my preparation-so this way it was easy for me to recall.

Did you have more than one controller when using JSF?
Sorry but it's not clear for me since JSF itself isn't action/controller-based framework and doesn't require to implement extra controllers.


Well, it's not clear for me either, normally I wouldn't include any framework specific stuff on the class diagram (like jsp's, beans and controller) but I have found many posts where people actually do and they pass . I guess both approaches are ok, but I think that when talking about JSF we just have to include it in component diagram for sure. I guess if you put it in your class diagram then you would have to add it in your sequence diagrams too, I haven't started my sequence diagrams yet so I haven't made final decision about the JSF on the class diagram either .

Anyone passed/not passed and have an opinion?

Regards
Kris



Well I think ideal the jsps and controller(s) should not be there. I also believe just the way we dont put FacesServlet to keep it design agnostic we should not have Managed Beans. But Cades book shows both JSPs and Controller.

I mention in the Design notes I would be using JSF for blah blah reasons.... but I keep Class diagram framework independent.

@Ashutosh, To the JSP response of "separate of design & modularity principle" - I think its not separate the one jsp is doing the same job... Anyway I will follow your advise for this one. Regarding Patterns I have to blow my heads off !!!
PS - I read your blog and it was very helpful.

@Krzysztof G- I think all the scenarios / assignment have this same challenges.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic