• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory.  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 68
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How many of you would take SCEA if training is mandatory - I believe if 50% of audience don't take the exam, Oracle won't make much profit because of imposed training.

I was wondering if this poll could help to understand Oracle ground reality or to let know true to us (that there are larger audience who can afford or get sponsorship for certificate with imposed training).


1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
2) Can afford (Yes, will take the SCEA)
3) Can have sponsorship from office (3000 + approx. 1000 for I, II, III (US$ 4000)) - (Yes, will take the SCEA).

Please vote.


 
Shiva.Om Kumar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 68
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 46
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 196
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can't afford. I will NOT take.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 103
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 65
Firefox Browser Hibernate Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 41
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA).
 
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 37698
575
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
4) Don't think the course is of sufficient value to take so wouldn't take SCEA.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 37698
575
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Also,
I think Oracle does expect the # candidates to drop and has different goals.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 218
Hibernate Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA).
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 419
Java jQuery Scala
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 29
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, first oracle comes in with this mandatory requirement and then anticipating huge crowd appearing for the exam before august, pearson encashed the opportunity just in the right time! (joining bonus from oracle )

And for those who think oracle will loose money by this gimmick --- they managed to force those people to appear for this exam now who would not have appeared in next 1-2 years (including myself )

So essentially the net result is that both oracle and pearson would stand to get their money from exam fees for next 1-2 years right now! So after august 1 they can reduce their staff for all assignment exams and thereby increase profit/cost ratio and off-course money on trainings. Believe me, for big corps, its big business or no business.

And we thought we understand business better than them!
Now my answer for the topic is same as everybody else... NO
 
Shiva.Om Kumar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 68
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Also,
I think Oracle does expect the # candidates to drop and has different goals.



I was thinking Oracle has hidden goal and wish to reduce audience having Architect Certification, but broader picture which enforces same rule for SCJD stops me to think on similar lines, but push me to think about nothing other than money matter.

A person who is SCJP 6 (certified Java Programmer) won't be able to take the SCEA but a person who has attended 4 days training (by paying US$2500), would be eligible to take SCEA, I wonder if I am wrong to conclude that this is just money game.
 
Shiva.Om Kumar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 68
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Devashish Bansal wrote:Well, first oracle comes in with this mandatory requirement and then anticipating huge crowd appearing for the exam before august, pearson encashed the opportunity just in the right time! (joining bonus from oracle )

And for those who think oracle will loose money by this gimmick --- they managed to force those people to appear for this exam now who would not have appeared in next 1-2 years (including myself )

So essentially the net result is that both oracle and pearson would stand to get their money from exam fees for next 1-2 years right now! So after august 1 they can reduce their staff for all assignment exams and thereby increase profit/cost ratio and off-course money on trainings. Believe me, for big corps, its big business or no business.

And we thought we understand business better than them!
Now my answer for the topic is same as everybody else... NO



If few are pushing to take it now, a lot won't do that. And future audience who won't be able to afford it, is going to continue to criticize Oracle policies. Oracle is welcoming defaming, so let it be until they loose more on it, in long run. But they would be forced to take "U" turn on this.
 
Bartender
Posts: 346
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I will say more and more folks will depend upon the company to sponsor their SCEA5. In my case my company sponsor the exam so got around $900 from the company for this. In my company it is mandatory to do this exam but things might change in future. I don't think my company might sponsor it in future. Moreover companies which were sponsoring it in past will loose the billing for 1-2 weeks(training duration) which might make the matters even worse.

But cost of certification and training is cheap in places like India.

IMHO-if i have to appear in SCEA5 after 1st Aug 2011:
1) I won't go for certification at the first place if company is not sponsoring.
2) In US and other places there are other more recognized certifications like TOGAF 9 etc... TOGAF9 cost around $400 but there are trainings shops for that also and more and more TOGAF9 passed candidates says that one should go for the training.
3) Rather than doing SCEA5 - why don't do SCJP, SCWCD, SCJWSD, SCBCD as their combined cost will be much lessor?

Day by day certifications are becoming expensive and more difficult.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 91
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My pick will be 1. In the past 7 years i have passed 4 certifications and i always see certifications to learn about the technology in-depth. I am of the opinion that the short course will be a starter only and will not give an in-depth knowledge of the technology. Of course, the short course will help to increase Oracle's share price..
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't afford..

Please vote aginst mandatory course requirement.So that Oracle may think
 
Bartender
Posts: 1103
10
Java Netbeans IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, I can't take.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10128
3
Eclipse IDE Mac PPC Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Sharma Ashutosh wrote:I will say more and more folks will depend upon the company to sponsor their SCEA5. In my case my company sponsor the exam so got around $900 from the company for this. In my company it is mandatory to do this exam but things might change in future. I don't think my company might sponsor it in future. Moreover companies which were sponsoring it in past will loose the billing for 1-2 weeks(training duration) which might make the matters even worse.

But cost of certification and training is cheap in places like India.

IMHO-if i have to appear in SCEA5 after 1st Aug 2011:
1) I won't go for certification at the first place if company is not sponsoring.
2) In US and other places there are other more recognized certifications like TOGAF 9 etc... TOGAF9 cost around $400 but there are trainings shops for that also and more and more TOGAF9 passed candidates says that one should go for the training.
3) Rather than doing SCEA5 - why don't do SCJP, SCWCD, SCJWSD, SCBCD as their combined cost will be much lessor?

Day by day certifications are becoming expensive and more difficult.



Certifications becoming more difficult to acheive is a good move but being more expensive is a pain. I was just thinking of doing the SCEA but after reading this new of mandatory training, I have to say "nie wieder sehen"
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't afford...
I can't think of this exam. Already i have stopped preparign for this exam.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I cannot waste money on this training, and the training materials are not even related to the certification program.

Inr
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
Android Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, I can't afford to take the exam
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I cant afford too, Hope rules gets changed.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 120
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 13
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Today I cleared Part 1. Will attempt Part 2 and Part 3 before Sept 31st. If I fail, I will not attend mandatory training. Those listed training programs are useless for a candidate attempting architect exam.

1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 78
Eclipse IDE Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't afford!!!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would not take up the exam if it was not sponsored by my employer. As things stand, I am stuck with Part 1 and am waiting to hear from my employer if the training can be sponsored. Oracle could have increased the cost of the assignment evaluation by 50$ or so and still made money.
 
inr mohan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Me too, I will also not take the exam is my employer won't reimburse the training cost.

Inr
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've been years waiting for the right professional moment to certify me as an Architect and now Oracle comes to change the rules.

I'm trying to end with part2 and take part3 before sept/30 deadline. If I can't I'm so sure of my answer...
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

Finally IMHO, I think that Oracle has choosen the wrost economical moment (to takers of course) to adjust their economic requirements.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, I don't know about the business idea. But, surely thinking about benefit or advantage I will get from this in comparison with the cost involved.

My vote also goes to:

1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

VV Frustrating as I am in the process of gathering up the Java Certs; then I hear about this. Terrible decision by Oracle. If I'd known about this earlier, I would have changed the order of certification sittings.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) can't afford
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 63
Java jQuery Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would pay, but I think it would be more, saying, honest, to charge for certified status (since it's all about money) instead of forcing you to take some course that you could be the instructor.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To be fair it might still be worth doing everything except the training course, you can just write on your CV 'passed all 3 exams for SCEA'. Just don't mention that you are/aren't technically certified. Any employer aware of the certification should realise that not doing the course has no detriment to your skills whatsoever.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1) Can't afford (No, can't take SCEA)

Frank Jones! Can we give all 3 exams without taking the course? Do they allow us to give the exams? I think they don't allow us. Please confirm.

-Chinna
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!