Win a copy of Programmer's Guide to Java SE 8 Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) this week in the OCAJP forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Important?

 
Eko Wibowo
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How important concurrency in c++ these days (where there are lots of programming language with "easier" syntax for concurrency)?
 
Anthony Aj Williams
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Eko Wibowo wrote:How important concurrency in c++ these days (where there are lots of programming language with "easier" syntax for concurrency)?


Concurrency in C++ is very important. People often use C++ for performance, and one of the primary uses of concurrency is for performance, so they naturally go together. Microsoft's recent announcement of C++AMP is an example of this.

I agree that some languages have "easier" syntax, but to a large extent this can be addressed through library facilities in C++.
 
Madhan Sundararajan Devaki
Ranch Hand
Posts: 312
Java MS IE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Unless you develop Aritificial Intelligence or Operating Systems or device drivers that need to handle/process multiple instructions in-parallel, in my opinion, the scope for the use of concurrency in C++ is quiet limited.

Very rarely people use concurrency in C++ to solve highly complex mathematical problems/models, as there are dedicated languages(FORTRAN for example).
 
Anthony Aj Williams
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Madhan Sundararajan Devaki wrote:Unless you develop Aritificial Intelligence or Operating Systems or device drivers that need to handle/process multiple instructions in-parallel, in my opinion, the scope for the use of concurrency in C++ is quiet limited.

Very rarely people use concurrency in C++ to solve highly complex mathematical problems/models, as there are dedicated languages(FORTRAN for example).


I disagree. In my experience, people use concurrency in C++ for many applications. A large number of desktop applications use C++ and concurrency for performance, for example, and others use multithreading to provide responsiveness even where there is no improvement in processing speed.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21365
84
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anthony Aj Williams wrote:
I disagree. In my experience, people use concurrency in C++ for many applications. A large number of desktop applications use C++ and concurrency for performance, for example, and others use multithreading to provide responsiveness even where there is no improvement in processing speed.


Agree with the disagreement. I do about 40% C/C++ work. And in almost every case, the applications are multi-threaded. Interestingly, it is the Java components that are less threaded. The reason is I work with application servers in Java, and components running in web/app servers are single threaded (or at least, they are supposed to be).

Henry

 
Brian Overland
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 36
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brian Overland here. My two cents:

For certain kinds of advanced programmers, AJ is right, that multi thread and concurrent processing will become more and more important.

BUT for beginner or intermediate programmers, bear in mind that mutli threading is an advanced subject. You won't need it to write simple applications... in fact you can write rather sophsticated programs without it.

HOWEVER, I do agree it will become more and more important in the future. I would recommend: Buy Anthony AJ Williams' book. At least after you've mastered the basics of C++.

-- Brian O.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic