• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

the secret

 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey fellas have you guys read the secret book?have you ever used the law of attraction?now i know as programmers you really wont believe in such stuff,but im here to say that it really works!just give it a try and let the magic unwind your being!

P.S:im in no intension of promoting the book,just a bit too overwhelmed with it.
You guys can check out the webpage and read those "too magical to be true" stories!!!cheers!
 
Stephan van Hulst
Bartender
Posts: 6318
78
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have a friend who had to read The Secret as mandatory material for one of the subjects of her study. Really?

You may not be surprised to learn I think incredibly lowly of this book.
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11165
14
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Stephan van Hulst wrote:
You may not be surprised to learn I think incredibly lowly of this book.

+1
...and don't get me started on Twilight.
 
Joe Ess
Bartender
Posts: 9318
10
Linux Mac OS X Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The book has also been heavily criticized by former believers and practitioners, with some going as far as claiming that "The Secret" was conceived by the author and that the only people generating wealth and happiness from it are the author and the publishers.

wiki

 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
this book is classic woo-woo nonsense. It's basically bulletproof from criticism, because it basically says "if you think right, you'll get whatever you want".

if you by some random chance get what you want, it's because you were thinking right.

if you DON'T get what you want, it's because you WEREN'T thinking right.

How can you argue with that?

 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 21416
33
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
As programmers I suggest we should suspend disbelief for a moment and try it out. From now on I am going to believe that my code contains no bugs. Eventually -- if I understand the law correctly -- my code will contain no bugs. I will let you know how it works out.

Unfortunately the website only contains things like bogus Einstein quotes and doesn't go into detail about how long I should wait for the positive thoughts to work. But wait a minute! I'm going negative there. From now on I am going to believe that my code contains no bugs TODAY.
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Make sure you believe REALLY REALLY HARD - otherwise it won't work.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 21416
33
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not a problem. I have never been wrong before and I am never going to be wrong in the future either. (Wow... this is easier than I thought it would be!)
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hmmm...I believe really strongly that you HAVE been wrong before, and will be wrong again.

So have we set up a paradox, or do we have a battle of wills now?
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 21416
33
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It must be a battle of wills, then. That's what this Secret stuff is all about. I believe you were wrong when you wrote that, and if I believe that for long enough then you will have been wrong, even if you aren't wrong now.
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 2993
12
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Ruby
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OK, we'll do a study. We can look at two groups, the first group working for success, and the second group just wishing for it. Then after a couple of years, we'll see which group is doing better.

The thing is there is power in positive thinking, and crap like "The Secret" just makes that look ridiculous. The most successful lies are always wrapped around a kernel of truth.
 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4678
7
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote: I have never been wrong before and I am never going to be wrong in the future either. (Wow... this is easier than I thought it would be!)


I thought that I was wrong once in the past, but I was mistaken.
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:Hey fellas have you guys read the secret book?


Only, the first few pages ! Its utter BS ! B = bull. Full of lies and wishful thinking. The author certainly got what she wanted - loads of $$$.
This book tells people what they want to hear and that might not necessarily be real or correct. The author uses this to maximum advantage - "Its easier to swallow sweet lies than to swallow the bitter truth."

If everyone gets what they truly desire, then this world will be in trouble ! eg. What happens when 5 suitable guys like the same girl !

Its basically positive thinking called by a different name with an aura of mystery around it.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15480
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Secret only works for the writers of the book - they are getting incredibly rich from people who desparately want to believe in the idea. Ofcourse, it sounds very attractive: you just have to wish for something and "the universe" will help you get it. In reality, it is just childish and foolish wishful thinking that ofcourse does not really work, despite what you say.

sumedha rao wrote:... but im here to say that it really works! ... P.S:im in no intension of promoting the book,just a bit too overwhelmed with it.

I predict that like most people after a few months your feeling of being overwhelmed will be replaced by a feeling of disappointment, after you notice that nothing has really changed in your life, despite all your fervent wishing that you'll get happy, wealthy, find the love of your life, find the greatest job in the world etc.

Don't let yourself be fooled.
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper de Jong wrote:The Secret only works for the writers of the book - they are getting incredibly rich from people who desparately want to believe in the idea. Ofcourse, it sounds very attractive: you just have to wish for something and "the universe" will help you get it. In reality, it is just childish and foolish wishful thinking that ofcourse does not really work, despite what you say.


see i said programmers wouldnt believe in it...have you ever tried it,nd its not just the secret,the thing is about the law of attraction,so guys stop critizing the author just becoz she's being successful in what she's been doing..the law works everytime,its only how truely you believe in it.If you keep saying the law does not work and the whole thing is just a waste of time,so by the law,you'll keep attracting things or people that say that the law does not work..because thats what you believe!
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:see i said programmers wouldnt believe in it...have you ever tried it,nd its not just the secret,the thing is about the law of attraction,so guys stop critizing the author just becoz she's being successful in what she's been doing..the law works everytime,its only how truely you believe in it.If you keep saying the law does not work and the whole thing is just a waste of time,so by the law,you'll keep attracting things or people that say that the law does not work..because thats what you believe!


I'm not criticizing anyone because they are successful. I'm criticizing it because the way it defines things, there is NO WAY IT CAN FAIL.

The author says "If you believe it, it will happen".

then, goes on to imply that when that thing happens, it was BECAUSE you believed it. If that thing doesn't happen, it is because you DIDN'T BELIEVE IT HARD ENOUGH.

Further, this is a classic 'blame the victim' mindset. Got Cancer? you had negative thoughts - shame on you. A tsunami wipes out your villiage? Clearly everyone in the village wasn't positive enough - too bad!!!

Explain to me how this theory can be tested in ANY way to verify it works. Until you provide EVIDENCE, I will consider it nothing more than another scam on poor, unsuspecting people.

 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 2993
12
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wait, he knew we wouldn't believe it and we don't. It does work! Now I believe, but that means it doesn't work, so I'm going to have to stop believing, so it works again, ... ad infinitum.
 
Janeice DelVecchio
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 1809
12
Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:
Explain to me how this theory can be tested in ANY way to verify it works. Until you provide EVIDENCE, I will consider it nothing more than another scam on poor, unsuspecting people.



I read the book. I'm not a follower. I don't think it's all bad.

My argument for the book is that a lot of people just say they can't do something and then don't. If they were to think more positively, they would see that some things are a long road, but if you keep holding on you can make it. Sometimes, failure really is the agreement by the individual that they won't make it and the subsequent giving up.

In this way, the book is helpful to lots of folks. It's not all bad.

Thinking a million dollars will show up in your mailbox won't make it happen.
Having a little faith that your dreams can come true is harmless, and so is making a picture of a million dollar check made out to yourself. It gives people something to focus on.

The problem with lots of people isn't that they can't get what they want. It's that they don't know what they want.
If you don't know what success looks like to you, how will you know when you've achieved it?
The Secret helps people make "what they want" a clear picture in their head. Once the picture is there, the getting it is easier.
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1821
4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think you need both the key and the secret.

(Don't mess with me when I'm having an Urban Cookie Collective moment.)
 
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 24212
35
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Funny that this thread should be on the front page of MD at the same time as this one. Both books (The Secret and The Alchemist) are about the same idea: that your fondest wishes will come true if you only want them badly enough.
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Janeice DelVecchio wrote:Having a little faith that your dreams can come true is harmless, and so is making a picture of a million dollar check made out to yourself. It gives people something to focus on.

the problem I see with this is that some people think that is ALL they need to do.

"If I just WISH my child's cancer will go away, it will. I don't need to bother with all those pesky DOCTORS."

Think that can't happen? Think again.

source: What's the harm
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:
see i said programmers wouldnt believe in it...


Please strongly believe that we will start believing it....for our sake. If you strongly desire this, then we will change too. Perhaps the nature of our posts will change if you wish hard enough.

sumedha rao wrote:..the law works everytime,its only how truely you believe in it.


I wanted to marry aishwarya rai ! But it did not happen ! Now I am thinking about katrina kaif as hard as i can...wish me luck !
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
its not just about wishful thinking,believing hard,etc..you are saying that but then you dont actually intend to get..its more about thinking positively,attaching feelings to want you really want,gratitude,ofcourse the feelings will involuntarily come if you really want to attract something into your life..the problem with most of them is that they only keep thinking about it the entire day,ofcourse some action is required to bring it to reality,its not going to fall on your lap from heaven..someone spoke about tsunami and earthquakes,well if you keep thinking good for yourself,good will follow,you may just be saved..the entire thing is about you,your feelings,your determination to live the life of your dreams,and nothing else..someone also asked about proposing a movie star,well sometimes you need to be logical,its like a person asking for wings to fly,but at times it may just work..just like the way Catherine Middleton got married to Prince William!!,she was just an ordinary girl,no one in their wildest dreams ever thought it would happen,but do you know that kate had a wallsize poster of prince william stuck in her room(those who know the concept of vision boards will understand this)
Anyways i am not here to teach or preach the secret to any of you..its up to you to take it or to let go,and i know that even after this taxing explanation some of you will just get some more points to criticize the topic,go ahead,those who dont know the power of the law will still enjoy making fun of it,its basically about attracting things,just like the law of gravitation,it doesnt matter if you are a good person or a bad person,you'll always hit the ground,the same is the fact with the law of attraction and its a universal law that cannot be changed..those who have clicked on the thread or posted replies to this thread have attracted it,nothing happens by default..when you are driving,eating,emailing,feeding the cat,dog,elephant..its working,it has no off button!!cheers!!
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:It must be a battle of wills, then. That's what this Secret stuff is all about. I believe you were wrong when you wrote that, and if I believe that for long enough then you will have been wrong, even if you aren't wrong now.

dont worry paul,an affirmative thought is 100 times more powerful than a negative thought..so that eliminates the degree of disbelief right there!!
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15480
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So Sumedha, can you tell us what you wished for and how it has come true?

Do you really think that it works for whatever you wish? So if I wish I got a million euros tomorrow, it should work, according to you? If it doesn't work, then why does it not work?
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
read the book for that,i cannot waste time in explaining more of it to people who just dont believe that it does not work and keep mocking to prove it..in my case,yes it has worked for small many things,every other day..and also for big things.. i was an average student in college but managed to get a distinction rank(that no one in my college had)during the university exams,that surely is a big thing..if you believe you can do it,if you believe in yourself then no one and nothing can stop you from doing it! and its not a one time process,it happens everytime...thats the power!
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:but do you know that kate had a wallsize poster of prince william stuck in her room(those who know the concept of vision boards will understand this)


Katrina kaif ! I am coming to get you ! Now i know the trick to get her !
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Katrina kaif ! I am coming to get you ! Now i know the trick to get her !

if you laugh in such a horrifying way even rakhi sawant wont come near you..good luck,dont just sit there and dream about kat..u'll waste your precious time ..p.s and i have not given any trick to get her,whatever i have posted will at the most make you to feel the urge to go read the book/see the movie..nothing else!
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:i cannot waste time in explaining more of it to people who just dont believe that it does not work

It's not that I believe it does NOT work...

it is that there is no evidence it DOES work. Evidence, to a skeptic, is a very precise thing. A person saying "well, it worked for ME" is NOT evidence, but an anecdote. After enough anecdotes are collected, an experiment can be designed. To be a valid experiment, it must be a double-blind study with proper controls.

To the best of my knowledge, no such experiment has been done on this phenomenon.

Since you are making extraordinary claims that seem to defy the currently known laws of the universe, the burden of proof is on you.
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
fred rosenberger wrote:
It's not that I believe it does NOT work...

it is that there is no evidence it DOES work. Evidence, to a skeptic, is a very precise thing. A person saying "well, it worked for ME" is NOT evidence, but an anecdote. After enough anecdotes are collected, an experiment can be designed. To be a valid experiment, it must be a double-blind study with proper controls.

To the best of my knowledge, no such experiment has been done on this phenomenon.

Since you are making extraordinary claims that seem to defy the currently known laws of the universe, the burden of proof is on you.

dude please read the first post i made on this thread..the website itself has a lot of evidences..if that is not enough you can find ways to get connected with people who intentionally use the law,let me tell you everyone uses the law,knowingly or unknowingly,its always there..if you still want evidences there are books that speak indeapth about the law and even the science behind it(book name:power of your subconcious mind)..if you youtube search a bit,you will still find many EVIDENCES!!
and mind you what do you mean by "extraordinary claims"?? all that i said is a fact..its only that the crowd is not right..I AM NOT SCANDALIZING anything or anybody..
every religion teaches you to have faith,to believe,to let go..am i talking to all atheists here!?!?
 
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender
Posts: 12196
35
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I did look at them. Those stories are not evidence, but anecdotes. Further, assuming there are 100 stories there where it worked...where are the stories for people where it doesn't work? a true study has to include ALL the trials, not just the successes. If there are 1,000 stories where it doesn't work for every 1 where it does, I would call that a failure. Since the cases where it doesn't work aren't included on the web site, everything I read there is suspicious.
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15480
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:read the book for that,i cannot waste time in explaining more of it to people who just dont believe that it does not work and keep mocking to prove it..

sumedha rao wrote:dude please read the first post i made on this thread..the website itself has a lot of evidences..if that is not enough you can find ways to get connected with people who intentionally use the law,let me tell you everyone uses the law,knowingly or unknowingly,its always there..if you still want evidences there are books that speak indeapth about the law and even the science behind it(book name:power of your subconcious mind)..if you youtube search a bit,you will still find many EVIDENCES!!
and mind you what do you mean by "extraordinary claims"?? all that i said is a fact..its only that the crowd is not right..I AM NOT SCANDALIZING anything or anybody..
every religion teaches you to have faith,to believe,to let go..am i talking to all atheists here!?!?

Why are you telling people off who ask for some more solid evidence? Why don't you just answer the question? Nobody here accused you of scandalizing anything or anybody. Then you talk about religion. Is The Secret a religion? Why should anyone believe in it as if it is a religion?

Please answer the question: Do you really believe that when you wish something hard enough, no matter what it is, it will come true? And why exactly do you believe that? How can you be so sure that what's in The Secret is really true?
 
sumedha rao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 115
Firefox Browser Java Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
no one(not even me)would believe in it at the first glance,thats the human nature,but then whats the harm in just trying it out yourself,that would be the greatest evidence you would give yourself,and i doubt you guys even read any of the stories written there...every story starts with a failure(or something negative)in using the secret(the law)..but thats not the end,they did not give up..for example read this story...moreover they have taken real life incidents of people practising the law in the movie and there are ways to get connected to them..why are you guys making such a big issue out of it?
How can you be so sure that what's in The Secret is really true?
you need to try it yourself to make it work for you...i am not forcing anyone to believe in it,there is great diversity in everything that you believe,im just asking you to atleast give it a try,there's nothing to loose,if you dont want to,then fine,let go!!why do you need to argue so much

Then you talk about religion. Is The Secret a religion? Why should anyone believe in it as if it is a religion?

every religion(geeta,bible,quran)teaches us to believe and have faith..im not saying secret is a religion,it was never meant to be,i just saying that it teaches us what we have already been taught!
Do you really believe that when you wish something hard enough, no matter what it is, it will come true?
yes i do
And why exactly do you believe that?
its because i have been practicing it since a few months..and its been working for me!!

and one more thing,you dont need to know how it works,you just need to know that it does work...thats nature,its designed that way!
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:dont just sit there and dream about kat..u'll waste your precious time


Am i so bad ??? Is there any thing wrong in dreaming big ? If I want to be like bill gate$ , is it bad/futile because he is too big and i am a kiddie coder ? Should i stop dreaming ? Arent dreams/desires the first step towards getting something ?
 
john price
Ranch Hand
Posts: 495
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I do believe this was posted in the right form :
Meaningless - Without meaning
Drivel - Silly talk
"The Secret" is without meaning, and it is silly talk.

cc11rocks
 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15480
43
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
sumedha rao wrote:
Do you really believe that when you wish something hard enough, no matter what it is, it will come true?
yes i do

So you really believe that when you wish you would a million dollars this year, you would really get it?

So why then do you think that Rahul's dream is unreasonable? You believe that you can get anything that you wish, don't you?

Where is the line between what is and is not reasonable to wish for?
sumedha rao wrote:and one more thing,you dont need to know how it works,you just need to know that it does work...thats nature,its designed that way!

Who said that nature is designed that way? Why would you believe that nature is designed that way? Is it just a feeling based on nothing, or is there any real, objective, scientific evidence for that?
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic