Win a copy of Functional Reactive Programming this week in the Other Languages forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Thoughts on Java 7

 
Corey Anson
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jim,

What are your thoughts on Java 7? Are these new changes good for the language or just adding more layers to deal with?

Thanks
 
john price
Ranch Hand
Posts: 495
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think they are good. I am not sure that some of them will be all that useful (such as 1_000_000 instead of 1000000), but I think it is for the better. I really am looking forward to the G1 collector...
cc11rocks
 
Jim Waldo
author
Greenhorn
Posts: 29
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So, I have to admit that I haven't looked that much at Java 7-- I'm a Mac user, and Java 7 is not yet available for that platform.

Let me turn the question around-- what things in Java 7 do members here think are good, and which just make the language and environment more complex and harder to deal with? Do the rest of you think I should be interested in Java 7?
 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4678
7
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I haven't looked in depth at Java 7 yet, but there is a good thread on it in another section on the ranch:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/544138/Java/java/there-clear-list-description-new
As I wrote in that thread, so far, I haven't seen anything to get excited about. There are a couple of nice things, but nothing that makes me care about when Java 7 gets deployed.
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 21416
33
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The try-with-resources feature looks good, in that it can help me get rid of a ton of cruft in my database code. But that isn't going to make me rush out and get Java 7 so I can use it -- the existing database code ain't broken, at least not if I looked at it recently.
 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4678
7
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:The try-with-resources feature looks good, in that it can help me get rid of a ton of cruft in my database code. But that isn't going to make me rush out and get Java 7 so I can use it -- the existing database code ain't broken, at least not if I looked at it recently.

The sad reality of this business is that if your production code relies on something, like Paul's database code, you can't afford to fix it by changing to the latest and greatest.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 
Gabor Liptak
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So your book doesn't cover the proposed (and accepted) new Java7 features?

Jim Waldo wrote:So, I have to admit that I haven't looked that much at Java 7-- I'm a Mac user, and Java 7 is not yet available for that platform.

Let me turn the question around-- what things in Java 7 do members here think are good, and which just make the language and environment more complex and harder to deal with? Do the rest of you think I should be interested in Java 7?
 
Jim Waldo
author
Greenhorn
Posts: 29
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Gabor Liptak wrote:So your book doesn't cover the proposed (and accepted) new Java7 features?



It would have been quite a trick if it had. My book has been out for over a year, and Java 7 just came out. Further, from what I can see, the new features of Java 7 (with the possible exception of NIO.2, which brings to mind Bullwinkle declaring "this time for sure") are not real candidates for being in the Good Parts...
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic