• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Learning Objective-C?

 
Bill Fleet
Greenhorn
Posts: 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm a Sun-certified Java programmer, designer and developer, and I'm teaching myself iOS and Objective-C. (My initial career path was as a graphic artist and art director.)

Right now, I've been walking through the video tutorials on Lynda.org, which are pretty good, but I'm curious as to additional (hopefully low-cost) resources that may be more current, or at least updateabale. Much of my time spent with these tutorials has been spent bridging the gap between the examples in Xcode 3 and my experiences in Xcode 4.

Aside from the book of the week here, are there any other good book resources that won't go out of date so quickly? The sample chapter at Manning indicates that you're using Xcode 3, which is a handicap.

Also, what's your approach to app design?

Ah well, the challenges of chasing down an evolving technology are what keeps me young.

Cheers! -- Bill
 
nik gen
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bill,

To learn Objective C, Apple is also providing good materials. Below are the links for the same. You can get the videos and pdfs from here.
http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action


Also there are some good sites like,
iCodeblog, StackOverflow, etc.

Thanks,
Niketa.
 
Johannes Fahrenkrug
author
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bill,

yeah, it's hard to keep up with everything, who are you telling ;-)?
So the book has been updated to Xcode 4 (it was initially started to be written for Xcode 3).

About resources: Definitely get the free WWDC videos from this and last year: http://developer.apple.com/videos/ They are incredibly great resources!
Also the Standford iPhone Development videos are great: http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/drupal/

Cheers,

Johannes
 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
nik gen wrote:Hi Bill,

To learn Objective C, Apple is also providing good materials. Below are the links for the same. You can get the videos and pdfs from here.
http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action


Also there are some good sites like,
iCodeblog, StackOverflow, etc.

Thanks,
Niketa.

And JavaRanch !
 
Bill Fleet
Greenhorn
Posts: 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Johannes Fahrenkrug wrote:Hi Bill,

yeah, it's hard to keep up with everything, who are you telling ;-)?
So the book has been updated to Xcode 4 (it was initially started to be written for Xcode 3).

About resources: Definitely get the free WWDC videos from this and last year: http://developer.apple.com/videos/ They are incredibly great resources!
Also the Standford iPhone Development videos are great: http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/drupal/

Cheers,

Johannes


Glad to hear you updated the book already. I had tried the Stanford videos about a year back, and found them more confusing than helpful: they were aimed at computer engineer students who already knew C variants, and I'm a Java guy Also, a visual thinker.

The apple videos look good, but there are so many I get overwhelmed about where to start.

Also, my link above was wrong: It's www.lynda.com. Their stuff is good, but coverage is spotty. They lean heavily toward designers and digital media workers.

Cheers! -- Bill
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 65229
95
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One of the challenging realities of writing a book, especially about rapidly evolving technology, is that from the time the project starts until the project ends, you are always in "catch-up mode" as the technology keeps evolving under your feet!

This was a big challenge during the writing of both editions of jQuery in Action, and especially the 2nd edition as jQuery UI was rapidly changing even as I was writing the chapters that cover it. Authors are constantly in "revision mode", updating material so that it is as current as possible when the book is finally released.

My current project, Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja, was started by John Resig in 2007. So you can imagine that a lot of the information originally penned over 4 years ago needs to be brought up to date constantly.
 
Pratik Goswami
Ranch Hand
Posts: 136
Android Chrome Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi johnnas,
My opinion is that you should go with Objective-C first, because Apple keeps updating SDK and APIs at very short interval.
I think this book will be the best resource for that.

Happy coding.
 
Fei Ng
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1245
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here in NYC, there is a group called The New York iPhone Software Developers meetup. It is really a good way to meet Obj-C/iOS developers and learn from them. Your city may have a group like that.
 
Bill Fleet
Greenhorn
Posts: 13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Fei Ng wrote:Here in NYC, there is a group called The New York iPhone Software Developers meetup. It is really a good way to meet Obj-C/iOS developers and learn from them. Your city may have a group like that.


Here in Charlotte NC (land of finance IT), there an iOS Developers meetup once a month. It's very informal, meeting at a few tables at Panera Bread (ugh), and there's not much programming focus. It's more about ideas, positioning, and who's-done-what. It's growing, though, and will probably have to start having presentations and a moderator at some point.

Cheers! -- Bill
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic