Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

virtual machines

 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34681
367
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
When I was looking at getting a Mac, Mark S told me to divide the price by 3 because I'd have VMs running. At the time, I didn't think so. Fast forward a month or two. Now I have three machines on the Mac. Mark: You can say "told ya" now.
1) The Mac
2) Chrome OS VM
3) Ubuntu VM

I'm using Virtual Box and it seems fine. I've heard VM Ware is better. What feature do you like best that's not in Virtual Box?
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11070
13
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Chrome OS? Sounds interesting.
Is this the one you mean? http://getchrome.eu/download.php
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:When I was looking at getting a Mac, Mark S told me to divide the price by 3 because I'd have VMs running. At the time, I didn't think so. Fast forward a month or two. Now I have three machines on the Mac. Mark: You can say "told ya" now.
1) The Mac
2) Chrome OS VM
3) Ubuntu VM

I'm using Virtual Box and it seems fine. I've heard VM Ware is better. What feature do you like best that's not in Virtual Box?


I TOLD YOU SO, and yes I can yell it. Although this really is the story of my life. I say one thing and no one listens, till that one day when they come back to me and I get my I told you so.

Actually, it is so common place for me, that the I told you so has no special gratification for me. I actually get the gratification knowing ahead of time that there will be an I told you so, that I actually say "I Told you so" it the moment I am ignored. ;)

I used Virtual Box, but did find VMWare Fusion faster, and I also found features like having the VM apps running in separate windows looking like it is a native app a neat trick. (Not that I use that feature that much).

I also like the fact that for VMWare Fusion they already have "Appliances" Virtual Machines pre made that you can download.

Mark
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OH, but know that I am still 99.99% of the time wrong.

Mark
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34681
367
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maneesh Godbole wrote:Chrome OS? Sounds interesting.
Is this the one you mean? http://getchrome.eu/download.php

I got mine from here, but it looks like the same idea.
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Doing a little searching, I like this link for ChromeOS. It is built on the source code from the link Maneesh posted, but already built and in formats for Virtual Box, VMWare and USB Pen Drive.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/vanilla.php

Jeanne's your link is not Google's. Meaning a separate project, which might use some of Google's code, or is a complete port of Google's code to their project.

Mark
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34681
367
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mark Spritzler wrote:Doing a little searching, I like this link for ChromeOS. It is built on the source code from the link Maneesh posted, but already built and in formats for Virtual Box, VMWare and USB Pen Drive.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/vanilla.php

Jeanne's your link is not Google's. Meaning a separate project, which might use some of Google's code, or is a complete port of Google's code to their project.

Mark

You're right (again.) That site actually wasn't what I installed. It was what I used as a reference. I did install from the "vanilla" site as evidenced by my blog post last month when I installed.
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Mark Spritzler wrote:Doing a little searching, I like this link for ChromeOS. It is built on the source code from the link Maneesh posted, but already built and in formats for Virtual Box, VMWare and USB Pen Drive.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/vanilla.php

Jeanne's your link is not Google's. Meaning a separate project, which might use some of Google's code, or is a complete port of Google's code to their project.

Mark

You're right (again.) That site actually wasn't what I installed. It was what I used as a reference. I did install from the "vanilla" site as evidenced by my blog post last month when I installed.


I guess that just shows that I missed that one blog post. I mean I have read each and every one, that I must have missed just that one. ;)

Mark
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic