• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Tim Cooke
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Paul Clapham
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Knute Snortum
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Tim Moores
  • Pete Letkeman
  • Stephan van Hulst
Bartenders:
  • Carey Brown
  • Tim Holloway
  • Joe Ess

What's expected from a junior "java-developer" -- (In General)  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys i am not new to java as language.. i know some basic level Sql too.. I'll start applying to entry-level-java-developer jobs in couple of weeks from now..

All i am asking here is "In general what's expected from a entry-level-java-developer" looking out for a career in enterprise or web-applications-platform

Please guys help me out in this, i'll be more than obliged..

Let me know specific set of technological knowledge necessary for "BOTH" enterprise and web-application platform
as entry-level-java-developer

Thanks in advance!!
 
Sheriff
Posts: 21424
94
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Moving to our Jobs Discussion forum.
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Rob Spoor wrote:Moving to our Jobs Discussion forum.


Thanks Rob for correcting me ..
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

specific set of technological knowledge necessary for "BOTH" enterprise and web-application platform



Must have skills includes Java, Servlets, ORM, DI, some web UI framework like struts or JSF + HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Also some heavily used design patterns like MVC, Delegates etc.

Well I think it has no end. It really depends on the project requirements and your role. The above mentioned skills are needed in almost every projects. The Developer role comes with a hidden clause of learnign something new in every few weeks and to keep on updating yourself.

Best wishes for a good career.

 
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 38506
653
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
JDBC or JPA.

I think there is a distinction between a junior developer and an entry level developer. I expect the later is going to know less going in.
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:JDBC or JPA.

I think there is a distinction between a junior developer and an entry level developer. I expect the later is going to know less going in.


thanks for correcting it Jeanne.. actually i was asking for "entry level developer"
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Himanshu Gupta wrote:

specific set of technological knowledge necessary for "BOTH" enterprise and web-application platform



Must have skills includes Java, Servlets, ORM, DI, some web UI framework like struts or JSF + HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Also some heavily used design patterns like MVC, Delegates etc.

Well I think it has no end. It really depends on the project requirements and your role. The above mentioned skills are needed in almost every projects. The Developer role comes with a hidden clause of learnign something new in every few weeks and to keep on updating yourself.

Best wishes for a good career.



Thanks for your reply Himanshu .. But i actually meant skill required for an entry level java developer
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 277
Flex Oracle Spring
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you are into Java/J2EE Technologies, Basic of Java,Servlets,Jsps, JDBC and a lot of learning attitude.

Strong Core-java skills is sufficient, rest you will learn as you start working in projects
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ashwin Sridhar wrote:If you are into Java/J2EE Technologies, Basic of Java,Servlets,Jsps, JDBC and a lot of learning attitude.

Strong Core-java skills is sufficient, rest you will learn as you start working in projects


Thanks Ashwin
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 38506
653
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Additionally I'd like to see a project the person worked on. It can be an internship or volunteer thing, school project or even just a simple app developed at home. Just something of a non-trivial complexity that the person can speak to.
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Additionally I'd like to see a project the person worked on. It can be an internship or volunteer thing, school project or even just a simple app developed at home. Just something of a non-trivial complexity that the person can speak to.



Jeanne Thanks for you response ..
But i didn't get that..
Are you trying to say that, the set of skills/knowledge required (from an entry-level-java-developer) is always dependent on the "project" they are assigned to and there are no specific skill-set required in General(from every entry-level-java-developer)

Thanks in Return ..
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 343
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Abhimanyu Rathore wrote:Are you trying to say that, the set of skills/knowledge required (from an entry-level-java-developer) is always dependent on the "project" they are assigned to and there are no specific skill-set required in General(from every entry-level-java-developer)



For entry-level? Skills are irrelevant. Aptitude is everything.

Cheers!

Luke
 
Abhimanyu Rathore
Ranch Hand
Posts: 32
Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Luke Kolin wrote:

Abhimanyu Rathore wrote:Are you trying to say that, the set of skills/knowledge required (from an entry-level-java-developer) is always dependent on the "project" they are assigned to and there are no specific skill-set required in General(from every entry-level-java-developer)



For entry-level? Skills are irrelevant. Aptitude is everything.

Cheers!

Luke



Thanks Luke.. i appreciate ..
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 38506
653
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well said Luke. For entry level, I expect the person to know Java and have to done enough to indicate he/she will learn quickly.

For junior (a year or two of experience), I expect the person to show they have learned and have more skills.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!