• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Tim Cooke
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Devaka Cooray
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Knute Snortum
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Pete Letkeman
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Tim Holloway
  • Ron McLeod
  • Vijitha Kumara

Will Head First Java be enough to program?  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Will the book "Head First Java" teach me enough to know how to program myself?

I'm looking to eventually get into programming Android Apps.

What do you guys think? And do you have any suggestions on how I should make my path to my ultimate goal of being able to code my own Android apps

Thank you.
 
Bartender
Posts: 3185
34
Google App Engine Java Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Head First Java should be good enough to help you understand Java, Java APIs and OO programming.

So in my opinion that should be good enough starting point for Android.
 
Sheriff
Posts: 21459
96
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Enough to program? Yes.
Enough to program Java? Yes.
Enough to program Android? No.

You see, Android has its own set of APIs which you will need to learn. However, with HFJ you will have all the basis you need to learn to use those APIs.
 
Mohamed Sanaulla
Bartender
Posts: 3185
34
Google App Engine Java Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And by Good enough starting point I mean- that as Android uses Java, so that should help you a lot in learning the Android API.
 
andrew dale
Ranch Hand
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for the all the responses! Greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get through this book and into a Android API book!
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Posts: 21459
96
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I quote liked Android User Interface Development Beginner's Guide.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

andrew dale wrote:And do you have any suggestions on how I should make my path to my ultimate goal of being able to code my own Android apps.



Hi Andrew.

If you like Head First Java, consider reading the early access version of Head First Android Development. It's not finished but it's in pre-release at the moment with 7 chapters available, and more soon to follow. The first four chapters should get you up and running with the Android development environment setup, tools, project setup and basic apps. If you've gone through Head First Java and enjoy the Head First books, Head First Android Development would be a great next book!

Take care,
Jonathan

(P.S. I admit I'm a bit biased as the author of Head First Android Development )
 
Marshal
Posts: 60136
188
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

jonathan simon wrote: . . . (P.S. I admit I'm a bit biased as the author of Head First Android Development )

As long as you are not a lot biased ... and welcome to the Ranch
 
jonathan simon
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:As long as you are not a lot biased



Nope, just a little biased

Campbell Ritchie wrote: ... and welcome to the Ranch



Thanks! I've been a lurker for a long time. Figured I should finally join the party!
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 60136
188
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You're welcome
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The thing I've learned so far, is that you should never use one resource exclusively. because you only learn one persons way of doing something, when there may be a way that's better, or just more suited to you. Of course that's not to say books like that don't help tremendously, but make sure to do research online too, maybe google tutorials etc.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 17
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

jonathan simon wrote:

andrew dale wrote:And do you have any suggestions on how I should make my path to my ultimate goal of being able to code my own Android apps.



Hi Andrew.

If you like Head First Java, consider reading the early access version of Head First Android Development. It's not finished but it's in pre-release at the moment with 7 chapters available, and more soon to follow. The first four chapters should get you up and running with the Android development environment setup, tools, project setup and basic apps. If you've gone through Head First Java and enjoy the Head First books, Head First Android Development would be a great next book!

Take care,
Jonathan

(P.S. I admit I'm a bit biased as the author of Head First Android Development )



Great news! I'm working my way through Head First Java as part of my bachelor in software engineering. When will the full book come out?
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 60136
188
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch , Timothy Oldbean
 
Timothy Oldbean
Greenhorn
Posts: 17
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Welcome to the Ranch , Timothy Oldbean



Thanks! I think I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!