• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

HTML code to show applet?  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 119
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question for you guys.
My question regarding the HTML to display a Java applet in browser:
- is <applet> tag deprecated and shouldn't be used any more, right?
- instead we should use <object> tag. I am wondering whether the <object> tag is cross browser or not? Do we need to write some javascript code to tackle for different browsers on different operating systems?

Because I have seen some javascript code like this:



Is the checking of browser and OS needed?

Thanks in advance.
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 4089
98
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I advise to use the <applet> tag and nothing else; <object> is outdated.

Alternatively, if you can require JavaScript, use the deployJava.js script: http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/deployment_advice.html#appletTagAttributes
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 77
5
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Use the deployJava.js to write the applet element. It takes care of the details, and is maintained by Oracle.
 
Haina Minawa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 119
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Moores wrote:I advise to use the <applet> tag and nothing else; <object> is outdated.



Thanks for your reply, but I think you are wrong, since <applet> tag is deprecated according to this. The <object> tag has come as a replacement.
 
Haina Minawa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 119
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Andrew Thompson wrote:Use the deployJava.js to write the applet element. It takes care of the details, and is maintained by Oracle.



Thank you for the useful link
 
Andrew Thompson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 77
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Haina Soft wrote:

Andrew Thompson wrote:Use the deployJava.js to write the applet element. It takes care of the details, and is maintained by Oracle.



Thank you for the useful link



A good way to indicate usefulness is to click the '+1' button on the top of the post. ;)
 
Haina Minawa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 119
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Andrew Thompson wrote:
A good way to indicate usefulness is to click the '+1' button on the top of the post. ;)



Fine. I gave you +1!
 
Haina Minawa
Ranch Hand
Posts: 119
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Haina Soft wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I think you are wrong, since <applet> tag is deprecated according to this. The <object> tag has come as a replacement.



Sorry, I correct my statement above: although the W3C states that the <applet> tag is deprecated, Oracle Sun still recommends developer to user it because the <object> tag is implemented inconsistently among browsers.
 
Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 4089
98
  • X Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Further bit of advice: Don't ever trust w3schools.com, its content is as bad as roseindia.net.
 
Andrew Thompson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 77
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tim Moores wrote:Further bit of advice: Don't ever trust w3schools.com, its content is as bad as roseindia.net.



Had to +1 that comment, but it has prompted me to jump back into the thread.

  • For information on HTML, I refer to the W3C site (quite distinct from W3Schools)
  • Here is the W3C mention of applet in HTML 4.01, note particularly: "APPLET is deprecated (with all its attributes) in favor of OBJECT." That was when HTML 4.01 was introduced (a long time ago).
  • Sun (now Oracle) can also generally not be trusted for advice on HTML, though they are right about the object element being inconsistently supported.
  • All the expertise Oracle has on deploying applets is invested in the deployJava.js that has now been mentioned by both of us that offered answers.

  • So why are we still discussing raw HTML?

    (Oh, and I still use the applet element for the applet viewer and simple tests, but for real World Wild Web deployment, it is deployJava.js all the way.)
     
    It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
    • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
    • New Topic
    Boost this thread!