• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Sheriffs:
  • Knute Snortum
  • Junilu Lacar
  • paul wheaton
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
  • Ron McLeod
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • salvin francis
  • Tim Holloway

Needed help in composing an regular expression  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 102
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

This is regarding composing an regular expression to satisfy the given conditions.

The conditions are:
1. I wanted to return true/false if a particular word is present in the paragraph.
2. The word can be anywhere (in the beginning, middle, or end)
3. It should return only for whole words with an exception. The word can precede (or) follow by only one special character such as ,.;()[]{} etc
4. Also it is case insensitive search.

In the below code I am searching for a word Positive. I have hardcoded the string in the regex. Ideally in this case the output should be false, but it is returning true.
So I am not sure how to do this.



Thanks in advance.
Mahendran

 
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I haven't checked the whole expression, but there's a couple of things that stand out:

1. You've converted the input to upper case, but you've got references to lower-case letters in your regular expression

2. [POSITIVE\b]+ doesn't look for the word "POSITIVE". It looks for any letters in the word "POSITIVE". I think you're confusing square and regular brackets. And with [\\s]? - why are the brackets there?
 
Mahendran Aiyappan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 102
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Brown wrote:
1. You've converted the input to upper case, but you've got references to lower-case letters in your regular expression


I am not sure I understand it correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong. My regular expression is [^a-z]*[\\s]?[^\\d\\w]?[POSITIVE\b]+[^a-z]* which has POSITIVE in caps.

Matthew Brown wrote:
2. [POSITIVE\b]+ doesn't look for the word "POSITIVE". It looks for any letters in the word "POSITIVE". I think you're confusing square and regular brackets. And with [\\s]? - why are the brackets there?


I am new to regular expression. What is regular brackets mean? is it ( ) ?

Thanks,
Mahendran
 
Marshal
Posts: 61766
193
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would suggest the Java Tutorials section for starting regular expressions. Regular expressions can be complicated enough to be a whole topic by themselves.
 
Bartender
Posts: 10575
66
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mahendran Aiyappan wrote:I am new to regular expression. What is regular brackets mean? is it ( ) ?


Yes, but in your case, if you're looking for a specific word, you may not even need those. Also, if you're using Pattern, you really only have to worry about the string you're trying to match, not all the stuff around it (unless you also want to validate the entire string).

I'll give you this for free: "(i?)" can be used to do a case-insensitive search.

I suggest you have a really good look through the docs for java.util.regex.Pattern or, as Campbell suggests, the tutorials, and come back if you have any more questions.

Winston
 
Matthew Brown
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mahendran Aiyappan wrote:

Matthew Brown wrote:
1. You've converted the input to upper case, but you've got references to lower-case letters in your regular expression


I am not sure I understand it correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong. My regular expression is [^a-z]*[\\s]?[^\\d\\w]?[POSITIVE\b]+[^a-z]* which has POSITIVE in caps.


Yes. But what about [^a-z]?
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 61766
193
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And why the “*”? Why the “?” after the whitespace? Why the [] around \\s? What does [^\\d\\w] mean?
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!