• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Is Java a user-friendly programming language?  RSS feed

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
An user friendly programming language is one that must be easily usable to people/programmers those who wish to do. Does Java actually do the same ?
 
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Some find Java easy. Some do not. There is no clear-cut, objective answer to the question, "Is Java easy to use."

However, it is worth noting that one of the primary goals of the Java language all along has been simplicity.
 
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
These things are all relative. There's a limit to how easy a language can be to use and still provide the power and flexibility needed to build real applications. Don't go into learning Java assuming it's going to be really easy. And it also depends on the sort of things you're trying to do - some languages are particularly good at solving certain sorts of problem. On the other hand, there are definitely less user-friendly languages out there.
 
Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Matthew Brown wrote:On the other hand, there are definitely less user-friendly languages out there.



Such as Whitespace or Brainf**k.
 
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Posts: 66541
160
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"user-friendly" is not applicable. A language cannot be 'user-friendly" or not. The programs you create with a language can be user-friendly or not. And that all depends upon how you use the language, not on the language itself.

I assume you meant "programmer-friendly"?
 
Aman Kulkarni
Greenhorn
Posts: 15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bear Bibeault wrote:"user-friendly" is not applicable. A language cannot be 'user-friendly" or not. The programs you create with a language can be user-friendly or not. And that all depends upon how you use the language, not on the language itself.

I assume you meant "programmer-friendly"?




YES I MEANT EXACTLY THE SAME !!!
 
Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Aman Kulkarni wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:"user-friendly" is not applicable. A language cannot be 'user-friendly" or not. The programs you create with a language can be user-friendly or not. And that all depends upon how you use the language, not on the language itself.

I assume you meant "programmer-friendly"?





YES I MEANT EXACTLY THE SAME !!!



And the responses you've already received address that question.
 
Marshal
Posts: 58454
178
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Aman Kulkarni wrote: . . . YES I MEANT EXACTLY THE SAME !!!

Please read this.
 
Matthew Brown
Bartender
Posts: 4568
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jeff Verdegan wrote:

Matthew Brown wrote:On the other hand, there are definitely less user-friendly languages out there.


Such as Whitespace or Brainf**k.


Or Randomo.
 
Bartender
Posts: 1558
5
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Am I missing something? I saw sample codes of Whitespace, Brainf**k and Randomo. Those languages do not at all appear to be programmer friendly. Only Randomo slightly looks like assembly language, but Whitespace is, well, illegible
 
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 4345
108
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Those languages do not at all appear to be programmer friendly.


Exactly. Which is why Jeff categorized them as "less friendly than Java".
 
Java Cowboy
Sheriff
Posts: 16083
88
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Aman Kulkarni wrote:An user friendly programming language is one that must be easily usable to people/programmers those who wish to do. Does Java actually do the same ?


This is a meaningless question. First of all, it's highly subjective. Second, all programming languages (except parody languages such as Brainf*ck, Whitespace etc.) are designed to be useful, and so user-friendly, for programmers.

Why are you asking the question and what are you hoping to learn from the answers?
 
Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jesper de Jong wrote:
Why are you asking the question and what are you hoping to learn from the answers?



A canned answer to a canned question so he can pass a canned test and get a certificate proclaiming him an expert in Java? (Not that I'm a cynic or anything. )
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!