Win a copy of The Journey To Enterprise Agility this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum! And see the welcome thread for 20% off.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Tim Cooke
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Paul Clapham
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Knute Snortum
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Ganesh Patekar
  • Tim Moores
  • Pete Letkeman
  • Stephan van Hulst
Bartenders:
  • Carey Brown
  • Tim Holloway
  • Joe Ess

Sms Sending From Pc to mobile  RSS feed

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hey ....i tried a lot but cant figure out what to do .
what i want is
1. Connecting cell phone to pc through data cable
2. Sending a plain text message from pc to someone... the cell phone is acting like a gsm modem here.

i am able to detect the ports... but i fail to use them... i even googled it but the codes i get mostly dnt work... or i think i can get,what they do ... so any help will be appreciated ...
thank you.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
Google App Engine Netbeans IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi,
Search for gammu. It includes a SMS Daemon which can be used to SMS through the connected phone.
After getting it configured, just only a matter of calling command line utility with right parameters.
 
Bartender
Posts: 5167
11
Java Netbeans IDE Opera
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sana, please UseOneThreadPerQuestion <-link

Your post in a thread dating from 2005 has been removed. Incidentally, the question was answered in that thread: use a SMS gateway.
 
Sana Bokhari
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Srinath Gamage wrote:hi,
Search for gammu. It includes a SMS Daemon which can be used to SMS through the connected phone.
After getting it configured, just only a matter of calling command line utility with right parameters.



hey... i did check it out.. but the problem is .... it is limited to sending and recieving sms etc ... what i plan to do is file transfer through sms eventually... which gammu wont support.... and i dont whether gammu and java can be implemented side by side!!
 
Darryl Burke
Bartender
Posts: 5167
11
Java Netbeans IDE Opera
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Sana Bokhari wrote:... it is limited to sending and recieving sms etc ... what i plan to do is file transfer through sms eventually...


That's an oxymoron. SMS stands for Short Messaging Service. You can't send files by SMS.

What you can do is upload the file to a server and send the URL by SMS. The recipient of the SMS would visit the URL to download the file.

Did you really think a file could be transferred through SMS?
 
Srinath Gamage
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
Google App Engine Netbeans IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Darryl Burke wrote:
That's an oxymoron.


So true

Anyway Sana Bokhari for your other issue, yes you can use Gammu with java.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 158
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Though I don't know if it is even possible since I don't know about sms, My thought is that maybe the best way to transfer the contents of a file here is for Java on the mobile to somehow open an IO input connection stream through the serial cable to the PC and then connect that to an outbound SMS connection through the wireless network connection. Then, just do a read/write cycle until it reaches the end of the file and post that to the SMS connection.
 
Sana Bokhari
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Walter Gabrielsen Iii wrote:I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Though I don't know if it is even possible since I don't know about sms, My thought is that maybe the best way to transfer the contents of a file here is for Java on the mobile to somehow open an IO input connection stream through the serial cable to the PC and then connect that to an outbound SMS connection through the wireless network connection. Then, just do a read/write cycle until it reaches the end of the file and post that to the SMS connection.

\

What i mean by file transfer through sms was...
i break the file in datapackets....i.e.

1 datapacket = 1 sms (164 bytes)
and then send the file sms by sms.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!