• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Rob Spoor
  • Bear Bibeault
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
  • Carey Brown
  • Stephan van Hulst
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis

A few bugs

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.

I installed JForum 2.1.6 on Gentoo, Tomcat 5.0.27, MySQL 4.1.

1. Avatars cannot be attached, captcha cannot be loaded. This is due to the lack of GUI (I haven't installed the Linux, and I don't why why is the X removed, but it is not there. (So probably not quite a bug).

2. When I search cyrillic characters, I get "Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (cp1251_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='". (Subsequent question: what should be the collation of the DB?)

3. I often see this in the log file:



4. Emails are not sent. - the email test fails.

5. When I press "Set all topics as read", nothing changes (even worse sometimes - some read are makred as unread)

6. The global RSS is showing nothing - only a list of the forums in a category.

7. The General user profile should be edited. Otherwise, if a new profile is created, when you edit the other profile, the changes affect the general.

8. The "remember" cookie lasts too short (not quite a bug)

9. Sometimes topics become hidden. When I make them "sticky" they become visible (I go to edit them by clicking the link to "last post" in the index page)

10. Sticky and announcement topics become non-sticky and non-announcement sometimes, when someone writes in them.

11. There is no split option? (not a bug)

12.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Glamdring]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Glamdring wrote:Hello.

I installed JForum 2.1.6 on Gentoo, Tomcat 5.0.27, MySQL 4.1.

1. Avatars cannot be attached, captcha cannot be loaded. This is due to the lack of GUI (I haven't installed the Linux, and I don't why why is the X removed, but it is not there. (So probably not quite a bug).


The X libraries are required ...

Glamdring wrote:2. When I search cyrillic characters, I get "Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (cp1251_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='". (Subsequent question: what should be the collation of the DB?)


The DB needs to be set to UTF8

Glamdring wrote:3. I often see this in the log file:



4. Emails are not sent. - the email test fails.

5. When I press "Set all topics as read", nothing changes (even worse sometimes - some read are makred as unread)

6. The global RSS is showing nothing - only a list of the forums in a category.

7. The General user profile should be edited. Otherwise, if a new profile is created, when you edit the other profile, the changes affect the general.


There isn't a General USER, but a General GROUP. All anonymous and new users default to this group unless you change the config.

[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That's what I meant - the General group. But when I created a "Moderator" group, and edited that group's permissions, they also affected the general group.

Also, It seems like the DB collation is set to utf8_general_ci. Yet, the error is occurring (I realy wonder why, when nothing is supposed to "tell" a "1251" ecnoding)
[originally posted on jforum.net by Glamdring]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Glamdring wrote:That's what I meant - the General group. But when I created a "Moderator" group, and edited that group's permissions, they also affected the general group.


So you created a completely new group and made it a moderator? And you're saying that when you edit the new group, the General group's permissions follows it? Or, does the General group just happen to have the incorrect permissions assigned to it?
[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, the General grouped followed the new moderator group. Untill I edited the general group. I clearly remember a PM from one of my users "hey, now we are all moderators. Please do something, or soon someone will delete the forums"

P.S. I wish I had some spare time to contribute to this project - it is something realy valuable, and needed. But now I can limit myself to only reporting some bugs.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Glamdring]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Glamdring wrote:Yes, the General grouped followed the new moderator group. Untill I edited the general group. I clearly remember a PM from one of my users "hey, now we are all moderators. Please do something, or soon someone will delete the forums"

P.S. I wish I had some spare time to contribute to this project - it is something realy valuable, and needed. But now I can limit myself to only reporting some bugs.


When you created the new moderator group, is it possible you attached it to the General group instead of the "Top Level Group?"

[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, I checked that twice - it was a "top level group". But this is not a big issue (for me) right now - I managed with it somehow (I can't remember the exact steps, alas. I created another user group, moved all users there, then returned them to the general, which I have renamed..)
[originally posted on jforum.net by Glamdring]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Glamdring wrote:No, I checked that twice - it was a "top level group". But this is not a big issue (for me) right now - I managed with it somehow (I can't remember the exact steps, alas. I created another user group, moved all users there, then returned them to the general, which I have renamed..)


I just tried to duplicate this and couldn't. I created a new group (attached to top level) and made it a moderator. The General groups permissions were unaffected.

I do have a recent CVS version .. so perhaps if there was a bug, it has been fixed.

[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
You showed up just in time for the waffles! And this tiny ad:
Building a Better World in your Backyard by Paul Wheaton and Shawn Klassen-Koop
https://coderanch.com/wiki/718759/books/Building-World-Backyard-Paul-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic