Win a copy of Node.js Design Patterns: Design and implement production-grade Node.js applications using proven patterns and techniques this week in the Server-Side JavaScript and NodeJS forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Rob Spoor
  • Tim Cooke
  • Junilu Lacar
Sheriffs:
  • Henry Wong
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
Saloon Keepers:
  • Jesse Silverman
  • Tim Holloway
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Al Hobbs
  • Mikalai Zaikin
  • Piet Souris

A Copy-Off?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm a big phpBB MOD creator and I know phpBB2's look and coding like the back of my hand. I edit internal options of my phpBB2 forum all the time and I know the variables and how the system all works.

With that in mind, I have a question: isn't JForum just a copy of phpBB2 with some internal edits done? I notice some different things like new options and new arrangements of topics and forums and members and stuff, but the core look of JForum is identicle to phpBB2. JForum simply looks like a different phpBB2 style template - that's all. It looks like a copy-off of phpBB2 with some of phpBB3's features added in. :x The smilies are exactly the same as phpBB2, all of the images are exactly the same, the fonts and font colors are exactly the same, the layout is exactly the same, the registration page is exactly the same and I can go on and on and on about how JForum seems to be exactly the same as phpBB2. All I see are some small template changes/edits - nothing big.

So, can someone tell me how JForum is different than phpBB2? Does it use a different coding language or something? And don't tell me the little differences like the different looking form buttons, or the "My Bookmarks" page, or the different image backgrounds, because that isn't enough to convince me that JForum is totally different than phpBB2 and can be called "a separate forum from phpBB2."

Thanks and please let me know how this is different. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I am just sticking up for phpBB and the hard work that was put into making that forum solution.
[originally posted on jforum.net by legohalflife2man]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You mean other than the obvious difference that it's written in Java and not PHP? That right there should tell you there are LOTS of coding differences ... so it's hardly a "copy off."

It does use the Silver theme was very popular with phpBB ... and the same basic forum functionality was used, so the way it "acts" is very similar to phpBB from a user perspective.

[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey man,

so, you are mostly right about your point when we talk about the look and feel. JForum is indeed using a slightly changed version of phpbb2' subsilver theme, no questions about that. That's because back then, when we started the JForum Project, phpbb was largely used, and users know its interface, so following the same ideas in JForum was a big advantage, as we didn't need to reinvent the wheel.

On the other hand, the similarities stop there. While JForum's main template is based on subsilver, everything else is different - I mean, JForum is written in Java, while phpbb is developed in PHP. The database are quite the same, but again, because it's a tested approach and familiar to many developers.
PHPBB is good for those who only have a PHP hosting plan, while JForum is good for applications already written in Java that need a lot of integration and in those servers that have Java support.

That's it.

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

So, can someone tell me how JForum is different than phpBB2? Does it use a different coding language or something?



Does it using a different coding language or something? How can you start critising somthing without even knowing what it is?

[originally posted on jforum.net by shanyangqu]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I understand you, Rafael Steil. It makes sense now.

Sorry I went off on you guys, I just wanted to make sure that no one was copying-off of phpBB because I'm a big phpBB fan and coder. I understand why a JavaScript forum helps some people because not all hosting plans support PHP, so this turned out to be a really good project and I'm sorry for getting on your cases. I'm a web project developer myself and I have copied a few things from other people in the past, so I guess I understand.

Nice website design, by the way. I love the Photoshop-work and the gradients on the header and side images.
[originally posted on jforum.net by legohalflife2man]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

legohalflife2man wrote:I understand why a JavaScript forum helps some people because not all hosting plans support PHP, so this turned out to be a really good project and I'm sorry for getting on your cases. I'm a web project developer myself and I have copied a few things from other people in the past, so I guess I understand.



Ummm, just an FYI ... Java != javascript ....
[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

GatorBait3 wrote:Ummm, just an FYI ... Java != javascript ....


Yeah, I know that. Isn't this forum written in JavaScript or is it not? :?
[originally posted on jforum.net by legohalflife2man]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

legohalflife2man wrote:

GatorBait3 wrote:Ummm, just an FYI ... Java != javascript ....


Yeah, I know that. Isn't this forum written in JavaScript or is it not? :?


It is definitely not written in Javascript ... it's written in Java. However, the web pages do use some Javascript for certain functions.

A simple, yet very important distinction ... ;)

[originally posted on jforum.net by GatorBait3]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

legohalflife2man wrote:

GatorBait3 wrote:Ummm, just an FYI ... Java != javascript ....


Yeah, I know that. Isn't this forum written in JavaScript or is it not? :?



hehe.. It is written in Java - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

Rafael
[originally posted on jforum.net by Rafael Steil]
 
Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
Posts: 17424
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OH, my bad. I thought it was written in JavaScript. I know that Java is different, I just got confused about which language JForum used.
[originally posted on jforum.net by legohalflife2man]
 
Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic