I've around 11 years of experience, I am working for this company for last 6 years and prior to that I've worked for a company for almost 5 years, so in all in last 11 years I've just changed one organization. From the job satisfaction perspective I am fine with my present job, salary is fine, role is kind of also fine, only problem with this company is work life balance and the city I am living in, most of the time you have to work for 12-13 hours a day and also long commutes to working place, I recently got married and want to give some time to spouse and family. I've got an offer from another company which is kind of a very big organization, the working location is also a small city which is my preference, salary wise they are giving me around 30% hike from my current company however variable part of the salary is quite high. I resigned from my present organization however now they are offering me senior roles, salary hike and client site work location etc, should I re-consider my present company as I've been here for quite some time and changing a job might be more painful. I don't know what kind of work life balance will be there in new organization but have heard they are relatively better than my present company. Another thing is my present company is a fast growing medium size organization which is having a fast paced environment and the company which I am considering is pretty much stable company where growth chances are not that much.
Is fast growing; requires you to work for more hours; is willing to compensate you better for sticking to the same role;
Work life balance
Better work life balance; pay hike;
With job A you gave up some salary and work life balance to grow faster. With Job B you get a better compensation and work life balance and give up a little on growth opportunities. Company A offering you work at client locations may not help your work-life balance. If you value the time with your family more, Job B looks like the one to take. But this is a personal decision since it involves tradeoffs. Only you can take this decision. My post is but a summary of your situation on skimming through it for 5 minutes. Your perspective will certainly be better.
Have you already accepted the other offer or not? If you haven't accepted it yet, then why would you resign from the current job? If you already accepted the new company's offer, then you'd burn bridges with them if you renege on your acceptance of their offer. Also, staying with your current company just because you're offered more money after accepting the offer from the other company borders on blackmail as far as professional ethics is concerned. The best way to handle this is to approach your bosses at your current company before officially tendering your resignation and before you accept the new company's offer. Discuss your concerns with your current boss(es) and see if there's anything they can do to address them. If they say something to the effect of "No, that's just how it is," or if you doubt their sincerity in addressing your concerns, then you can accept the other offer and say your goodbyes with the current company. But this is all water under the bridge if you've already accepted the other offer and resigned from your current company.
I doubt the concerns that made you start looking for other opportunities in the first place will go away even with an increase in pay if you stay with your current company. You may still end up wanting to move to another company anyway, and that could be much sooner than you think it will be right now.
Ideally, if it were me, I would like to be in a situation where the differences in pay between different offers would not be enough to outweigh the job satisfaction I would get at one company over another. And once I've accepted an offer, I wouldn't let myself be swayed by any counter-offers. I don't know if that's the kind of situation you're in right now though.
The best ideas are the crazy ones. If you have a crazy idea and it works, it's really valuable.—Kent Beck
Deepak: you have pretty much summarized the whole thing, yes the situation is exactly same what you have described. I am just trying to evaluate whether the new job offer is worth accepting. There is always a fear when you leave present organisation and you evaluate whether it is worth taking a risk
Junilu: I am in pre-resignation discussion with my present company, I raised my concerned earlier with the leadership however it was not addressed before. Now when I told that I'll be resigning, they are coming up with various options to retain, like pay hike, work from home etc, thing is as you have correctly stated I may end up wanting to move to another company anyway, and that could be much sooner than you think it will be right now.