Win a copy of Functional Reactive Programming this week in the Other Languages forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

plugins in jenkins

 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi i wanted to know, how to create plugins in jenkins, and also what plugins can do?
any example and all?
please consider me new to jenkins.
 
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 10447
227
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It's explained in their documentation here https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Extend+Jenkins
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34973
379
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A plugin can do anything Jenkins can do. Maybe you want to block the configurations of jobs on Tuesdays. Now clearly you don't need to do that. But the need to create a plugin is usually driven by a problem you are trying to solve. Or by trying to support an open source tool. For example, emma support is built in. But if it wasn't the emma developers might have wanted to write a plugin.
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you...
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i am just reading this:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Extend+Jenkins
it saying that to develop jenkins plugins i need to install maven, is it necessary?
i mean can i use Ant instead of maven?
 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you know what you are doing, and are very familiar with Maven and Ant, then you can probably write Ant scripts to simulate what the Maven build would perform. If not, then you need to use Maven.
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Okay, Thank you.
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
one more thing i wanted to know, it's not related to this subject, as you said:

Peter Johnson wrote: If you know what you are doing, and are very familiar with Maven and Ant, then you can probably write Ant scripts to simulate what the Maven build would perform


so my question is: we use jenkins to automate build process, that is the basic intention to use jenkins {as far as i know}, so is it also possible to automate all build process using Ant only?

Automate: I mean build the project continuously.
 
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 10447
227
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Punit Jain wrote:
so my question is: we use jenkins to automate build process, that is the basic intention to use jenkins {as far as i know}, so is it also possible to automate all build process using Ant only?

Automate: I mean build the project continuously.


Yes that should be possible. Jenkins is just a tool for continuous integration. You can develop your own tool which does the same (basic) things as Jenkins. In fact, long before Hudson (the previous name for Jenkins) became popular, in one of the projects I was involved in, we developed a simple tool which would schedule builds from a central server regularly and that project was using Ant (Maven wasn't in news those days).
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Punit Jain wrote:
so my question is: we use jenkins to automate build process, that is the basic intention to use jenkins {as far as i know}, so is it also possible to automate all build process using Ant only?

Automate: I mean build the project continuously.


Yes that should be possible. Jenkins is just a tool for continuous integration. You can develop your own tool which does the same (basic) things as Jenkins. In fact, long before Hudson (the previous name for Jenkins) became popular, in one of the projects I was involved in, we developed a simple tool which would schedule builds from a central server regularly and that project was using Ant (Maven wasn't in news those days).


okay, one more thing, is there any advantage of this?
i mean if i not use jenkins and i developed one plugin in ant for this, it has any advantage over jenkins?
 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One usually uses a tool that is meant for the task at hand. Think of Jenkins as a glorified cron system with a web interface. Thus if you want tasks performed on a schedule, Jenkins is an ideal fit. Ant on the other hand is a quasi scripting tools that specializes in building Java apps but can be used for a multitude of other tasks. Because scheduling jobs is not one of Ant's primary purpose, it is not that good of a fit for that kind of task.
 
Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1015
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Okay, Thank you.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic