Win a copy of Head First Agile this week in the Agile forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

What next after core java?  RSS feed

 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys!

I was just wondering, once I finish off with Core Java... what should I start off with next.. Java ME, Hibernate, Struts.. and whatever else the Java community keeps churning up

I'm not saying this from a professional point of view, I just would like to know the next logical step.
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10573
65
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shiveen Pandita wrote:I was just wondering, once I finish off with Core Java... what should I start off with next.. Java ME, Hibernate, Struts.. and whatever else the Java community keeps churning up

First: you're never finished with core Java, because the language is constantly evolving.

Second: Your question is a bit like asking "what golf club should I choose?". The answer will depend entirely on your situation, and your preference. Seve Ballasteros could play a scratch game with only a 9-iron, and you can do an awful lot with just core Java.

If you like databases, Hibernate would probably be a good choice; if you like Webby stuff, I suspect Struts'd be your man; ME has the advantage that not a huge amount of people are experts on it, so it might not be a bad "niche" area to go into. But at the end of the day, only you can answer what you want to do.

My only advice would be to pick something that hasn't just been "churned up", and any of the three things you mentioned above would be fine - they've all been around for a while.

Winston
 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@Winston

haha.. I like the Seve Ballasteros analogy.. but I would daresay, even core java is more than just a 9-iron, it's a mace.
I understand what you are pointing at.. things that churn up are mostly not worthwhile. I'm in telecommunications sector, I was hoping to create a program that could be used as a test bench for VoIP packets and it kind of interfaces with a database too for the backends system support.

So any suggestions on that?
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 55799
164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shiveen Pandita wrote: . . . core java is more than just a 9-iron, it's a mace.
A mace is a poor analogy; Java is more than a club, but a fine tool. If you want tools, try a Swiss Army Knife.
. . . things that churn up are mostly not worthwhile. . . .
What does that mean? It doesn’t look right, anyway.
 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@Campbell Ritchie: knuckle heads like me don't have the ability to us the language with all it's intricacies as finely as you do.. so I stand by the mace analogy although probably you can use it as a swiss army knife.
 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What does that mean? It doesn’t look right, anyway.

What I meant is that there are myriad other ways that Java has been used to create various new flavors.
 
Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Posts: 10573
65
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shiveen Pandita wrote:I'm in telecommunications sector, I was hoping to create a program that could be used as a test bench for VoIP packets and it kind of interfaces with a database too for the backends system support.

So any suggestions on that?

Well, a Google of "Java packet inspection" got me this product from Stanford U., but I have absolutely NO idea how good it is or how good the docs are.

This strikes me a highly specialized stuff though, so I'd definitely get the basics working for VoIP with core Java first, and then look for something else to provide the "glue".

Winston
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 55799
164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shiveen Pandita wrote: . . . What I meant is that there are myriad other ways that Java has been used to create various new flavors.
Agree but they are mostly worthwhile. It was the not worthwhile bit I didn’t agree with.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
Posts: 55799
164
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shiveen Pandita wrote: . . . I stand by the mace analogy . . .
As long as you promise not to hit me with it.

And sorry if I have given any offence.
 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
Shiveen Pandita wrote:I'm in telecommunications sector, I was hoping to create a program that could be used as a test bench for VoIP packets and it kind of interfaces with a database too for the backends system support.

So any suggestions on that?

Well, a Google of "Java packet inspection" got me this product from Stanford U., but I have absolutely NO idea how good it is or how good the docs are.

This strikes me a highly specialized stuff though, so I'd definitely get the basics working for VoIP with core Java first, and then look for something else to provide the "glue".

Winston


Yes I know about this one , it works fine, but just basically tells you which packet is being sent or received from which socket connection or application. Although, I would take your advise on providing the "glue".
Guess I'd just have to keep going on a need basis. The only thing I was wary of was investing time n effort in learning something that wasn't useful in long run.

 
Shiveen Pandita
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:
Shiveen Pandita wrote: . . . I stand by the mace analogy . . .
As long as you promise not to hit me with it.

And sorry if I have given any offence.


No offence taken mate

Thanks for your posts too.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!