Luthien Dulk wrote:It's an issue that keeps tripping me up: no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get along with JEE...
Winston Gutkowski wrote:This is entirely at odds with the bottom-up approach, which is all about understanding how things work, and you do need to rewire your brain a bit to be able to deal with problems in terms of objects rather than procedures.
Mike Taylor wrote:In my experience of programming with frameworks they do keep their promise of making things very quick and easy … so long as you do things in exactly the way the framework author intended.
The moment you go off-piste, everything goes Pete Tong, and what should be simple is suddenly not merely hard but often impossible. The framework goes out of its way to prevent you from doing what you intended. Strange side-effects hamper your efforts. The hook that you need to get the functionality you want isn’t there. Your attempt to work around it causes something else, apparently unrelated, to start misbehaving in subtle and unpredictable ways. Congratulations! You are now suffering from Framework Fever! Doctor Taylor prescribes a period of complete rest before building up your strength by working through the exercises in K&R.
You know the real problem with frameworks? They demo too well. Someone shows you their favourite framework and demonstrates how you can build 50% of your application in half an hour! Great! That other 50% can’t be hard, can it? But it turns out that what looked like 50% is actually 5%, and filling in the other 95% gets exponentially more difficult as you approach the 100% mark. Frameworks are great for building toys, and that fools us — again and again — into assuming they’re good for building products.
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
The best analogy I can think of for abstraction like that (in fact, any type of abstraction) is driving a car:
1. In order to drive a car, you don't have to understand how the internal combustion engine works.
Winston Gutkowski wrote:
2. If every car had its own way of responding, learning how to drive would be awfully complicated.
So the abstraction is simple: You have either 2 or 3 pedals and a steering wheel; and they work the same way in every car that you get into. You'll also find the pedals in the same position whether you're driving on the left or the right, so your brain has less to remember and can concentrate on the business at hand, which is driving.
That said, if someone put you in the cockpit of a Formula one car, you'd probably want to run a lot of practise laps to familiarise yourself with the layout (not to mention the experience of 6G cornering).
Winston Gutkowski wrote:On average, the human brain can handle 7 ± 2 things at once, so if you had to think about the order in which cylinders were firing, you'd be a lousy driver. Abstraction is a way of managing complexity.
Luthien Dulk wrote:Well, I hope it makes some sense
Morning came much too soon and it brought along a friend named Margarita Hangover, and a tiny ad.
free, earth-friendly heat - a kickstarter for putting coin in your pocket while saving the earthhttps://coderanch.com/t/751654/free-earth-friendly-heat-kickstarter